Thread: 3B a question for the Twins...again

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Twins 3B a question for the Twins...again

MINNEAPOLIS (AP)—The Minnesota Twins have moved third baseman Brian Buscher(notes) off their 40-man roster and assigned him to Triple-A Rochester.
    The move was made Tuesday. Buscher will become a minor league free agent 16 days after the end of the World Series.

Over parts of three seasons, Buscher batted .266 in 436 at-bats with eight home runs and 69 RBIs while going back and forth between the Rochester club and the Twins.
    With Joe Crede(notes) becoming a free agent this fall following an injury-plagued year, third base is again unsettled for the Twins.
    Matt Tolbert(notes) and Brendan Harris(notes) were the primary options at that position down the stretch while Crede was hurt, and Buscher rarely played. He hit .235 in 136 at-bats this year.
    Twins take 3B Brian Buscher off 40-man roster - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

So what do they do here?
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: 3B a question for the Twins...again

I am not entirely clear on the Twins depth at 3B, but none of the options I am aware of seem all that enticing.

I believe the Twins will go after another stopgap 3B, hopefully one with less injury risk than Crede, and then pray that Danny Valencia is ready by August/September. He did well in his AAA callup.

MLB ERA

I wouldn't be too surprised if the trio of Nick Punto, Matt Tolbert and Brendan Harris hold down the spot until Valencia is ready, especially if they pick up a SS or resign Cabrera.
    The other 2 can split time at 2B with Casilla.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I would bet they give Crede a shot. I know we need to resign him but he would be the best option.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Tolbert was pretty good there towards the end. Really unsure if they will resign Crede due to the fact that he had more troubles with his back again and he was even considering retirement before last season. I think Catman is probably right here.
    -Chris

MLB ERA

Why platoon three player when they could not hit more homers combined than Crede? Someone with power is needed. Also the player needs to hit above ther wieght! We can not continue to be a team that doe's not spend to make the team better.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I think you could spend better than Crede though. Maybe he stays healthy and puts together a good year, nothing is impossible, but he is such a gamble right now.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

What about someone like Chone Figgins?

The Twins' have shown they will open up their wallets a little bit, with the Cabrera signing later in the year. Lock up Mauer to a LTD, and use some $$$ to pickup someone like Figgins.
    -Chris

MLB ERA

Figgins will not be a Twin. I could almost guarantee that. I say he lands in NYY or Boston. We dont spend. Why change anything now? The new park the state paid the majority of it. The Twins don't do enough in my eyes to build a contending team.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

MLB ERA

With JJ Hardy in camp next spring, I imagine there will be 4 players vying for 2 spots (3B & 2B) in the starting lineup. Matt Tolbert, Nick Punto, Alexi Casilla, and Brendan Harris. Danny Valencia may be ready to play at the major league level later next season, so there is no real urgency to get someone like Figgins at 3B. Crede might work there, as he could get 3 or 4 starts a week and get plenty of rest.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

Wow, Hardy is the only person there who can hit. Third will suck for the Twins once again. Sad.