Thread: 7/1/05: Devil Rays/Twins Review

AA ERA

7/1/05: Devil Rays/Twins Review

Great win tonight by the Twins. I thought this was going to be another loss as soon as Jorge Cantu homered to give the Rays a 4-3 lead. Fortunately for the Twins, things happened in the eighth thanks to Dwayne Brazelton melting down on the mound for the D-Rays. Brazelton got the double play in the seventh, but he wasn't so lucky in the eighth. He walked a batter, Shannon got the single to move the tying run to second, and then Mauer got the walk. Brazelton pitched to Torii with the bases loaded and he was nowhere near the strike zone as Torii easily got the walk and the tying run scored. Then Jacque hit a bases loaded triple and everyone scored. That was the ballgame right there.

I gotta say that I did not expect that to happen. I was expecting to see the Twins struggle out there after the lead especially when Michael Ryan hit the DP to end the threat in the seventh. Speaking of Ryan, why in the world is he on the team. What has he even done to stay in the organization? When I think of Michael Ryan, I think of the ball hitting his head in the OF at Cleveland two years ago. I also think of Ryan looking real bad against the Yankees in the playoffs couple of years ago.

Jesse had a rough seventh inning, but that happens. I think you tip your hat to Cantu. Still Jesse settled down and do well after the HR.

Joe had a 1-2-3 ninth inning.

Johan did okay. He got hit hard and he was in jams a lot, but he found a way to get out of it by getting that big K and the groundball. I liken him of getting out of jams the way he got out of jam in the ALDS last year against NY.

Seeing Lou Piniella meltdown is priceless. He seemed really angry when Brazelton melted down. I don't blame him either. This was a bad performance from Brazelton. FSN North's cameras was focusing on Lou in the eighth inning and Lou did not hide his feeling at all as he was cursing in the dugout. You have to figure this is going to be the end of Lou in TB next year. It's probably best for him the D-Rays. Rays have been awful all year and Lou Piniella has basically told the world that he wants out. He had it with this team and I think the players are tired of him. I think the Rays have called it a year so there is no excuse for the Twins to lose the series or not sweep the series.

Big win tonight. They needed this and it was a great win with the way they came back in the eighth.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Santana didn't make it past the sixth inning?!

AA ERA
    Nope. Johan really did not look that good and I thought Gardy wanted him out so he can feel good about himself. Tampa Bay was hitting him for sure.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    BTW, which one of your starting pitchers did you criticize for not tipping his cap after Torii made a great catch in a game?

AA ERA
    Kyle Lohse, realmofo.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Oh yeah, the guy whose name Ross Porter pronounced as Kyle Louse (like mouse) when he came up. Also sounds like lousy too. Even if he's mediocre at best, the Twins got more than they expected from the Rick Aguilera trade. Jason Ryan was the other pitcher the Twins got.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    good to see we one a game and Chi sucko lost a game. We need to sweep the rays because the A's are playing great ball and should be able to win there series against the soxs. We could make up in standings 2 or 3 games. Lets go Twins.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

AA ERA
    A's are only six games out of the WC race so yeah the Twins gotta keep winning. A's are starting to get close to the wild card spot which is why this weekend is so huge. Indians are right by the Twins heels. Twins lead the WC race, but only by a hair as the Indians are only 1/2 game back so that WC lead could be short-This weekend is so huge with the Angels waiting for the Twins Monday night.