Thread: Casey's replacement is chosen, Wild announcer gets the call for 2005

Casey's replacement is chosen, Wild announcer gets the call for 2005

http://tinyurl.com/5mte9

MINNEAPOLIS -- Minnesota Wild radio play-by-play man Bob Kurtz will replace Bob Casey behind the mike at the Metrodome for Twins games this season.

Casey, the only public address announcer the 44-year-old franchise has ever had, died last weekend. Kurtz will handle the stadium public address duties for 2005, and a permanent successor will be named later.

Well, it's sad that such a long-time announcer to passed on, but it's nice to see a local announcer get the call in the Minnesota sports world.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    http://tinyurl.com/5mte9

Well, it's sad that such a long-time announcer to passed on, but it's nice to see a local announcer get the call in the Minnesota sports world.
    Still not gonna be the same without Casey though

AA ERA
    First off, thanks for the thread, Fishercat.

Good seeing you, Mauersota.

Congrats to Bob Kurtz. I am glad he is replacing Bob Casey. Obviously, Kurtz is not going to be Casey and he shouldn't. As Twins president Dave St. Peter said this week, there will be only one Bob Casey.

Kurtz will do a good job, but I gotta say that it's going to be wierd seeing him be the PA in the home plate box. He is more into announcing as you hear him doing the Wild games on the radio. He also used to do the Red Sox in the 90s and for NESN. Considering that there won't be hockey for a very long time, maybe Kurtz can get comfortable being the PA guy for awhile.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauersota
    Still not gonna be the same without Casey though
    It's going to take years for some of us to get used to someone else. Casey was as much a part of the Twins organization as the logo. It's going to feel weird going to that first game and hearing someone else.

AA ERA
    Great line about how Casey was as much a part of the Twins organization as the logo, Lynch. I agree. Like I told you in the temporary board this week, Bob Casey was as much as a star as Kirby, Chuck, Chili, Kent, and Rick Aguilera was in the Twins 1991 WS Championship run. As a kid, I always enjoyed Bob's voice and the way he would say the player's name.

I read in Sanny's column today that Bob Kurtz will make 120 bucks per game. That's pretty darn good for a PA guy. I always thought it was a honor to be the PA for a professional sports team or a minor league sports team.

MLB ERA
    I have no idea wtf an announcer would make. $120 isn't bad I guess. That's about 9600/season to sit and watch baseball. I woulda thought it would be more. Wonder what Casey was making.

AA ERA
    I am sure announcers are making good money too.

I am guessing Casey was making the same money that Kurtz will be making.

To be a PA for a sports team is a privilige. You get to watch the game, get to know players, and get paid well. I wish I had a beautiful voice like that for fans to identify.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Bob Kurtz is very good. I remember him when he called the North Star games on TV. I think he will work out just fine. He is very good at what he does. Anyone here him on the college hockey game? He wiill need some time to get to know the players.