Thread: 6/27/05: Royals/Twins

AA ERA

6/27/05: Royals/Twins

Twins are back home for a week homestand this week. Let's hope this homestand is better than the last homestand which was miserable to say the least. Twins got two creampuffs that they should be beating in the Royals and the Devil Rays. Honestly, they need to go 6-0 this week to make up for bad baseball in the last two weeks. I definitely want the Twins to make up some ground in the AL Central before the break and I definitely want the Twins to lead in the WC race by the break. It's time to put up or shut up for this team. It's time to show some grit out there. It's time to perform. Now is the time IMO. Of course, it won't be easy. Twins are in zero position to take anyone lightly. They are not the White Sox, Red Sox, Angels, or the Cardinals to take anyone lightly. They are not very good to assume that wins will be taken for granted. Royals have played well under new manager, Buddy Bell and you know Bell wants to beat the Twins since he has no use for the Twins during his time as Eric Wedge's bench coach in Cleveland.

Joe Mays, who should be out of the rotation, is on the mound tonight. Twins got lucky with Kyle Lohse winning yesterday. Can lightning strike twice with Mays winning and pitching well?

Grenike is 1-8. but the Twins can't seem to hit against him. He normally owns the Twins. As Lavelle E. Neal III would say, the Twins should pack a lunch against him. Plus Grenike is a good pitcher. He is not as bad as his record indicates.

Tonight is the first Monday night game at the Metrodome. Also, the Twins have not won back-to-back games since June 8th.

Grienke vs. Mays

AA ERA
    What do you know? Lightning strike twice. Twins not only won, but they got a great performance from Joe Mays. He worked fast and was throwing strikes. Him throwing strikes helped him get the groundouts too. His sinker was great tonight. Yeah it's the Royals, but anytime the Twins can get wins from him, it's a great thing.

Royals were threatening to tie the game in the seventh, but fortunately Joe came up big in that inning and left the inning. That was the turning point of the game IMO.

It was good to get some hits and runs. Twins took advantage of the Royals miscues out there. I gotta say it was great to see the other team make lot of mistakes out there. It was a relief after all these tight games by good teams.

Great defensive plays tonight from the infield (Rodriguez, Castro, and Morneau) and Jacque making a sliding catch out there.

I am just glad the Twins won. It's good to win back-to-back games too.

Rookie ERA
    This was a great game - I'm really happy for Joe Mays. He needed a good outing as did the rest of the team. The pitching has been so flat lately. Let's hope the two outings by Lohse and Mays will help boost the team and keep some momentum going here.

Once the bats wake up on a consistent basis - we are good to go!

Let's go Twins.