Thread: 4/4/05: Twins/Mariners

AA ERA

4/4/05: Twins/Mariners

The season opener starts today as the Twins head to the Pacific Northwest to play the Seattle Mariners.

It's going to be tough for the Twins, but when you are a good team like the Twins, you always will open up against a very good team so the Twins finally arrived. Still I think the Twins are good enough to beat anyone so I hope they rise to the challenge.

Seatle spent lot of money this offseason as they signed Richie Sexson and Adrian Beltre to improve the offense. They also hired a good manager in Mike Hargrove as he tries to get this team out of funk. The Mariners haven't been the same since Lou Pinella left. Mariners are hoping Hargrove can be that aggressive manager that has been missing since Piniella left. I don't know if these moves are good enough to win the AL West. Their pitching has been rocked in ST.

Brad Radke goes up against Jamie Moyer this afternoon.

I wish I can watch the game, but I am working and I could not record the game since my cable company disconnected our service. I have a feeling we are going to be canceling cable since it's always been a problem.
    Last edited by Steak; 04-04-2005 at 06:18 PM.

MLB ERA
    Steak, it doesn't look like you missed much, other than Radke stinking up the joint to start another game (again).

Looks like the M's beat the tar out of our Twins today. Radke, like usual, gets shelled in the first couple of innings. This guy shouldnt' be a starter. He shouldn't even be allowed on the mound until at least the 3rd inning. AFter the 2nd or 3rd inning, he's solid for about the next 4.. almost always. Today, proof positive that this is the case. GO back and look at his box scores for the past 3 years and you'll see this guy is a wreck in the beginning of games.

Looks like the Twinks are going to lose, 5-1. Congrats to the M's for an opening day win.

Putting A-Rod to shame A's Baby Girl's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    Why didn't Santana start this game?

AA ERA
    ABG: Brad is starting over Johan because of loyalty and seniority thing. Gardenhire and his staff have this loyal thing with Brad in which they want him to start every Opening Day. I think Brad is starting because he resigned with the Twins this season instead of signing with the Red Sox, who was very interested in signing him. I wanted Johan to start, but I was okay with Brad starting this game.

AA ERA
    What a stinkeraoo performance by the Twins today. This was a very bad and very dissapointing. I was okay with losing, but the way they played today was a disgrace. Everyone stunk today. Lynch is right. I did not miss much watching this game. What a day to forget. First, my cable got disconnected by Time Warner Cable this afternoon. Second, we might get our cable canceled. It ended with this.

Twins got their rearends kicked. They were outplayed and outclassed all game long today. Brad was horrible. I don't know if it was the cold weather that affected him, but he wasn't sharp. He wasn't any close to the strike zone. He was giving up too many gopher balls to my liking. He didn't have it today. I wonder if he is a cold weather pitcher because he sure tends to stink when it's very cold. As for getting off bad early, I agree though last year he started off fine.

Twins hitters was as bad as Brad. They swung at stupid pitches and they swung at the first pitch. Unbelivable. I better not see this garbage this year. I like to think we are good enough in hitting.

This was not a great day for the Twins. They are better than this.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by A's Baby Girl
    Why didn't Santana start this game?
    Good question. While Steak's answer is probably pretty accurate, it's still pretty stupid.

Cy Young winner on the team and he's the #2 guy in the rotation!?

AA ERA
    Good thing Gardenhire is smart enough to use Johan for Game 1 of the playoffs at least. I would be damned if Brad starts Game 1 of the playoffs.

AA ERA
    Sounds like the only one that had a good day was Mullholland. He pitched a very good eighth inning.

I am glad the bullpen did not have to be used as much. No point wasting them early.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynch
    Good question. While Steak's answer is probably pretty accurate, it's still pretty stupid.

And while we're at it, Clemens (also Cy Young winner) is #3 in his rotation! Talk about disrespect. Santana should have gotten the start, Sexson would not have hit those homers.

MLB ERA
    Santana Meche. What a horrible matchup. This game is over before it begins. Oh well, at least we won the first one.

I think if the roation was Santana, then Radke, the Twins would be 2-0 after the first two games.
    http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3...irosig6vx8.jpg
    http://strike3forums.com/images/Mari...riners-sig.jpg
    Mariners Artwork | Request a Sig
    Circular logic aside, Mr Mims, you have yet to provide a single credible reason why you are, in fact, hot.

Putting A-Rod to shame A's Baby Girl's Avatar
    AAA ERA

Yeah I agree...Cy Young winner and it seems he still has to prove himself.

AA ERA
    ABG: I doubt Johan is bothered about not starting on Opening Day. He will get his share of Opening Day starts down the road. Besides I rather start Game 1 of the playoffs than start the season opener. Johan started Game 1 the last couple of years so I doubt he would be upset.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Radke makes 2 bad pitches to Sexson and we are down 5-0. What did not help us is we had no hitting. Radke gave up the runs early then he calmed down. Here is what I expect in game 2. Santana to be solid, Bats to get going and a Twins win.

Jason

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

An Opening Day Starter, doesnt necessarily means that hes the Ace.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)