Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trading Deadline

MLB ERA

Trade Trading Deadline

Are the Twins buyers, sellers, or will they stand pat?
    If they are buyers, whom will they get? I have heard rumors about Adrian Beltre being targetted for a couple of minor leaguers (Matt Moses is a name I have heard as one of the guys to go to Seattle).
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Trading Deadline

Dump Livan.
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

In my fantasy world, I really want the Twins to market Livan Hernandez back to the NL. I think some people think the same thing, too. Craig Monroe, too, but before he can be traded, he just needed to play well for a few more games to increase his trade value.

Ok, time to be realistic here, I think the Twins will be more likely to stay put. Maybe some minor roster moves, not a blockbuster type of a deal. This is Bill Smith's first year as a GM, he will know the trading deadline thing is not as easy as most people will like to think. IMO, the team is pretty young and a few years away from being one of top contending teams, I'd like to stay put and let the team grow up a little more and let the chemisty work well.

If the team really want to win this year, they need to sacrifice a lot of future potentials for big names.
    Twins All-Time Record since the day I exist
    3,955 total games (1964-1991), .496

MLB ERA

I have a potential trade for the Twins. How about Bonser and Hernandez and Garrett Jones to the Mariners for Adrian Beltre?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

Do you really want Beltre though? He's not that good.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Bonser and Livan would both have to clear waivers if they were to get sent down, so this trade would alleviate that issue.
    -Chris

MLB ERA

Aha. Still don't love the deal....unless Beltre is a FA after this year, which on second thought he might be....

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Twins could try and go after Rolen. Jays are probably sellers come the deadline. Rich Aurilia could be had

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Beltre would be the team leader in home runs! I would like to see him in a Twins uniform. He is only 29 years old.. Trade for him and get him signed. He would put up better numbers in the dome would you all not agree?

To Izzy comments, Most of our pitching talent is at the majors already. Who else in the minors that is blowing the mind of Bill Smith? We all know Liriano is staying put. For the Twins to NOT get Beltre is a mistake, to have another batter in the lineup with power would make opponent pitching change the way they would pitch to our club.

Mr. Smith pull the trigger make a trade!
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

I didn't mean just the young pitching that we have in the roster right now, but we have some good players in the farm like Manship, Robertson, Guerra, Hughes, and more.

Seattle failed. Will they take Livan and Boof to keep contributing in their losing season?

Bill Smith pulls the trigger more quickly, sure. If we're playing so well, will you readjust the roster even a bit? Honestly, the chemistry that is going on right now is working wonderfully. If they're starting to go back to the old Twins of April/May then go for it.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

According to the Minneapolis Star Tribune, the Twins' interest in Adrian Beltre has advanced past "internal discussions" after they reportedly contacted the Mariners about him over the weekend.

Beltre's $12 million salary next season will no doubt be a sticking point for negotiations given the Twins' payroll, but they could use his right-handed bat in a primarily left-handed lineup and he'd be a huge upgrade defensively at third base.
    Lots of fire here now. He has a great glove and can hit the long ball every now and then. Twins should make sure they are smart with this. Livan is not going to get anything.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Twins aren't optimistic about acquiring Adrian Beltre with the Mariners likely asking for two of their top prospects.
    Seattle doesn't need to free up money and has no one ready to replace Beltre at the moment, so there's going to be little motivation to make a deal unless it has the potential to really help the team in a couple of years. The Twins probably won't do it. Just taking on the $17 million Beltre is owed through next year would be an accomplishment for them, and they're not going to give up a lot of talent to make it happen.
    Looks like this won't happen unless the M's set their standards a little lower. Bedard not being able to pitch until next month may help that.

Tables may be turning around as Casilla is placed on 15 day DL with an injured thumb. The Twins want to make a move to fill up the second base.

MLB ERA

If (and that is a big if) the Twins are to acquire Beltre to play 3B, what happens to Buscher? I can see Punto going to 2B to fill in for Casilla.
    This is not to say I would not like to see Beltre in a Twins' uniform. I would. I hope this deal is done quickly.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

So the Twins end up not making any moves today...kind of odd. They were really out there for a 3B, but nothing was "what they were looking for".

I call BS....and no, not Bill Smith

They were shopping Bonser...and supposedly Bass too, but nothing comes of it. And what about Beltre? Turns out, BS (yeah, Bill Smith this time) said that he was too expensive...the M's wanted too much for him. Alright, well, what about Brian Roberts? The Twins were in talks with the O's...again to no avail.

Was this a display of futility by the club? Or a smart move?

thoughts please...
    -Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast