Thread: Ok, Twins fans...

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Twins Ok, Twins fans...

We're about 6 weeks or so away from the Trade Deadline. We're a game over .500, still about 4 games back from the White Sox. Our younger starters (Slowey, Perkins, Blackburn) have been getting better as the season progresses, and it's nice to see Scott Baker healthy. It's good to see them getting deep into the 6th, 7th, even 8th innings, allowing a chance for our bullpen to rest up.

Joe Mauer just isn't human. He went like what, 6-11 in the series against Washington? Well done. Nice to see Cuddy have a good day, as well as the bottom of the lineup starting to produce. And Kubel needs to just keep on hitting homers.

Third base was a big issue in the off season, and still is a bit of an issue now. It's been ok by comittee, allowing Macri and Buscher to prove themselves to the big club, trying to earn the starting spot. Lamb....well...

Ok, here are my questions:

What happens when Punto comes back? Who do we send down? Does Harris stay at SS?
    How are Neshek and Liriano doing? Are they going to be up for the 2nd half?

and the one question burning in all our minds....

Is there going to be a big trade before the deadline to make the Twins a solid contender?

Let's hear your thoughts.
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Ok, Twins fans...

Twins make a big trade, that won't happen. Neshek I thought was done for the year. Liriano last I heard was sometime in July he would be back. Buscher needs to be the third baseman. Macir can play there as well, maybe dh him with Kubel.

I do think we need to go after a hitter, someone that can be a homerun threat. My question is what do we do when Liriano is called up? Who gets sent down?
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

MLB ERA

The Twins have some tough decisions to make with their pitchers. Bonser is not having the sort of year that was expected, obviously, but he is out of options and would likely be claimed if the team tries to put him on waivers to send him back to AAA to straighten things out. The kid they picked up from Cleveland, Craig Breslow, has come up and done a nice job.
    I have a hunch that they will cut Monroe lose, although it is nice to have the extra outfielder on the team.
    As to trades, the team has some talent in the minors that could be used to bring in a bat, but I doubt if management will make a big deal this season.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Ok, you guys were right. Neshek is done for the year. I just did an archive search on the Twins' website and yeah, out for the year.

As far as Liriano goes, supposedly there's a chance he'll be back up with the club sooner rather than later. Liriano's Minor League stats this year

And as far as the 3rd base quandry...personally they should keep what they are doing now. They made the moves in the off season (Hunter and Santana) to win for the future, no sense in dumping all the prospects they have to win now.
    -Chris

MLB ERA

Macri/Buscher at 3B is working pretty well, especially Buscher. He can field the position pretty well and has been a consistant bat since he came up.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Punto was brought up off the DL today, and the Twins sent Macri down to open up the roster spot for him.
    -Chris

MLB ERA

Macri needs to play every day. I have no problem with this move. Punto can play nearly everywhere on the field.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

The only 2 solid spots in the infield are second and first. Alexi as really come into his own this year, proving he can play defense and well as swing a good stick. And it would take the wrath of God, (or an insane Pohlad move) to take Justin away from first.

Harris is stepping up his defense nicely at short, but he's only batting like .258 or something close to that. I can see the following happening:

SS and 3B by committee, Punto sharing time at SS with Harris, and Punto sharing time at 3B with Buscher.

It's going to be tough for these 3 guys to get the playing time they want.

Time to prove your worth, boys.
    -Chris