Thread: Mauer continues to grow as leader

Twins Mauer continues to grow as leader

It wasn't exactly an outfit that Joe Mauer would typically wear, let alone to a hockey game.

Donning a black tuxedo with a tall black top hat made it difficult for the normally low-key Mauer to blend in with the sea of people at the Excel Center for the Minnesota Wild game.

But being that it was New Year's Eve and he promised Justin Morneau that he would dress up for the party the two were hosting together for a group of friends after the game, Mauer somehow was convinced to wear the get-up, bowtie and all.

"There would have been no chance of that a couple of years ago," Mauer said, with a laugh about his outfit. "It took Morny awhile to talk me into it. I guess I'm just a little more reserved than most."

The Twins All-Star catcher has been a standout on the baseball field for as long as many people can remember, but when it comes to those things off the field, the St. Paul, Minn., native would rather just shift the spotlight elsewhere.

It's definitely become a more difficult task as Mauer's role with the Twins continues to grow -- along with his success. But the goal of his teammates and friends has been to find ways for the player to not totally shy away from public life.

The first few seasons he was with the Twins, Mauer said he spent his nights at home in his condo in St. Paul, trying to avoid the attention. But it was in 2006, when he began rooming with Morneau that Mauer said he really started to discover life beyond the baseball field.

"I think we were good for each other," Mauer said. "I'd get him to stay in a few nights and he'd get me to go out, which I never did before. It made for a pretty good balance."

The two are no longer roommates, with Morneau and his fiancée Krista, having bought a home in nearby Mendota Heights, but the camaraderie has continued. And it's become a sort of daily challenge for Morneau to slowly ease Mauer out of his shell.

The first baseman feels he has succeeded -- well, at least a little bit.

The recent outfit at the hockey game he feels was a start. But when asked if Mauer has become less quiet away from the field than he still is in the clubhouse or in interviews, Morneau couldn't help but chuckle and say, "No."
    The Official Site of Major League Baseball: News: Mauer continues to grow as leader

Thoughts?

MLB ERA

Re: Mauer continues to grow as leader

Who better to be one of the leaders of the team than a local hero? Joe Mauer is growing into the player the Twins hoped he would be when they took him over Prior.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

I just wish this cat could stay healthy.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Lynch,

where the hell have you been? Have not seen you in the Twins forums in awhile. Did the Gophers get a NIT bid? Hope you will be around. Start of the season is just around the corner.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Lynch View Post
    I just wish this cat could stay healthy.
    werd
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by mntwinsfan View Post
    Lynch,

where the hell have you been? Have not seen you in the Twins forums in awhile. Did the Gophers get a NIT bid? Hope you will be around. Start of the season is just around the corner.
    Gophers got the NIT bid and will play next week.
    Lynch, I will second that. Nice to have you here once in a while. Please don't give up on the team because the owner is a tightwad. The season starts with everyone 0-0 and the Twins should be OK this year. True, they would have been better with Hunter and Santana, but they should be OK.
    Joe Mauer is growing into the player the team knew he could become, and I agree that he needs to stay healthy to make the team better.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

I'll be around, but to be honest, I won't be watching the team with the intensity I used to. Then again, over the past few years, that intensity has really cooled, thanks in large part to the ownershit.

MLB ERA

Whe the new stadium opens, I hope to see everyone ouot there at least once. I'll plan a trip to the Cities, and would like to meet everyone there.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    Whe the new stadium opens, I hope to see everyone ouot there at least once. I'll plan a trip to the Cities, and would like to meet everyone there.
    opens in april 2010 right? dang, i will have only 4 more months to go before i will be home.
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.