Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Francisco Liriano

MLB ERA

Francisco Liriano

Could he start the season in Rochester, just to get used to pitching real games again? Possibly the Twins will put him on the DL for 15 days just to let him "rehab" without using an option on him?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Twins Re: Fransisco Liriano

I have read rumors a few times over the winter hinting at Liriano starting the year out in Roch just to see how his arm feels, it's probably the safest move that they can do, they don't want to hurt him or put too much pressure on him right away.
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Fransisco Liriano

I sure hope we move Santana to get us some pitching in return. I still would want Hughes over the pitchers Boston has offered.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Twins Re: Fransisco Liriano

FORT MYERS, Fla. — He has heard all the glowing medical reports, and he has been encouraged by Francisco Liriano in person. But Twins manager Ron Gardenhire says he approaches Liriano's first season back from elbow surgery with caution.
    In other words, don't pencil the left-hander into the rotation just yet.
    "It's not something you expect miracles from," Gardenhire said of Liriano's rehabilitation from Tommy John ligament-replacement surgery. "History says it takes a little while for a guy to really get back into the groove and find things. I'm not saying it can't happen, or won't happen. But it normally takes a little time."
    Liriano won't be prepared as though he has a starting spot and just needs to work his way into shape, Gardenhire said. He will be monitored closely, and the Twins will back off at the first sign of returning pain. "If he's in our rotation and throwing the ball well by the end of spring, that's just fine," Gardenhire said. "But what we want to see is a healthy young man. Whether it's at the start, at the middle or at the end (of the season), nobody can really tell you that."
    Good to see that someone has some common sense on the team.
    -Chris

MLB ERA

I'm more concerned about his shoulder than his elbow, but it is nice to see that Gardy plans to take it slowly with him.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Why his shoulder? Because he may have changed up his delivery and put more strain on it by protecting his elbow?
    -Chris

MLB ERA

His elbow will be stronger than it has been for a long time. His mechanics will be pretty much the same, and any stress will be absorbed by the shoulder, not the elbow. I've had surgery similar to his (my knee, not my elbow, however) and my knee is more solid than it was before. My hip and ankle felt sorer for a few months due to the stability in my knee. Its similar here, as Liriano's elbow was loose and took most of the stress during his delivery. Now that stress will be passed up to his shoulder (Bert Blyleven talked about this a few times last season while discussing Liriano's rehab).

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Ok, I see what you are saying. It makes sense.
    -Chris

MLB ERA

So Liriano will be ready to go. Might take a little while to get him back to where he was before the injury, but he will be much stronger. 2008 ace starting pitcher will be Liriano..
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

MLB ERA

I hope he's able to pitch 150 innings this season at the major league level. If he can do that, I would expect 12 wins, 160+ Ks, and an ERA of about 2.75.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I would be really happy with those types of stats after lig replacement surgery.
    -Chris

MLB ERA

The K's should be higher. He was getting alot of strike outs before being hurt. It is not like anyone has seen him pitch. My thoughts on this anyways. With the new approach on pitching he should be harder to pick up what he is throwing.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

A Twins official said Francisco Liriano twice hit 97 miles an hour during a recent bullpen session and pitched consistently at 92-95.
    Nice to know Liriano has his arm strength back, though as encouraging as the reports were all winter long, there wasn't a lot of doubt.
    Let's hope it can get even better from here.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

That's awesome that his strength is back, but someone needs to put a leash on him. I mean, cool, he's throwing heat again but what happened to easing him back?
    -Chris

MLB ERA

No need to easy him back I guess. He has been throwing the ball awhile now. Maybe we can work another deal with the Giants and take more great players from them.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast