Thread: Santana most likely to stay

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Santana most likely to stay

According to ESPN's Peter Gammons, there's a sense that the Twins will hold on to Johan Santana for now.
    That's been the general feeling all morning. The least they could do is come out and say they've rejected Boston's proposal, providing some sort of conclusion to the current round of talks. This isn't something that's going to go away until Santana is eventually dealt or agrees to a contract extension with the Twins. If anything, the Twins have even more incentive to move him than they did yesterday, as the Miguel Cabrera addition in Detroit would seem to give them less of a chance of making the postseason next year. Dec. 5 - 12:46 pm ete
    Source: ESPN.com
    .. I was looking forward for Santana to be #57 for the Redso

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Twins Re: Santana most likely to stay

I'd be happier with the Twins keeping him for next year. Reports are saying that Liriano is progressing nicely, just as eveyrone had been hoping. If they trade Johan now, and get a deal that the club really wasn't too thrilled about, it's going to make a lot of fans upset. If they keep him for the whole year and lose him to FA, they get 2 first round draft picks. If they keep him until the trade deadline, maybe they can get something more like they wanted in the first place.
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Santana most likely to stay

I for one am pissed off that we did not get a deal done. What I dont understand is how we could pass up on Ellsbury! The kid is amazing and we did not jump on the offer. Santana wont resign with us, when he turns down 20 million a year it tells me alot.

Smith needs to pick up the phone and call Epstein and get this deal done today!
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by henks View Post
    I'd be happier with the Twins keeping him for next year. Reports are saying that Liriano is progressing nicely, just as eveyrone had been hoping. If they trade Johan now, and get a deal that the club really wasn't too thrilled about, it's going to make a lot of fans upset. If they keep him for the whole year and lose him to FA, they get 2 first round draft picks. If they keep him until the trade deadline, maybe they can get something more like they wanted in the first place.
    Johan has said that he will not drop his "no-trade" clause after the season starts, and that is his right. If he is with the Twins in spring training, the team had better be willing to spend the money required to keep him around or he will leave via free agency. He must approve any deal and he will only go to a team he feels will contend next season. The Red Sox, Yankees and maybe the Mets are the teams that are in the hunt. Personally, I'd like to see the Angels trade about 5 of their best prospects for him.
    After the Twins saw what the Marlins got in return for Cabrera and Willis, they decided that none of the Red Sox offers were good enough. If it were Lester and Ellsbury, plus the SS prospect and another position player, they might have done the deal. As it is, Lester and Crisp with the prospects doesn't make it.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Twins Re: Santana most likely to stay

Rumors around saying that Hank Steinbrenner is "walking away" from the Santana deal. He said that if Johan were just a FA, he would sign him, but since he isn't, they don't want to sign him and have to do a big contract; all that on top of giving away a lot of young talent. He said it's just too much.

Interesting, Yankees walking away, BoSox not giving up their young rookies, looks like Pohlad better use some of that fluff in his wallet to keep Johan around.
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

MLB ERA

Rumors also say the Mets are one player away from acquiring him.

MLB ERA

What is the current offer? I've heard Gomez, Pelfrey and another player or 2.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

Guerra, Gomez, Humber, Mulvey so far...

If the Mets put in Fernando Martinez, the deal is done.

Yankees ... Red Sox ... or maybe the Mets

MLB ERA

I was at the ICubs Fanfest today (wearing my Twins' jacket" and a hot topic of discussion while waiting in line for autographs was Johan. The speculation is that with the deal the Tigers gave the Marlins and Chicago gave Oaklnad, it will take a very big splash to get Johan from the Twins. The Twins were represented at the festival and their reps (not in management, but marketing) agreed that the Twins will listen to offers and take only one that makes sense in the long-term.
    If no deal is done by the middle of spring training, it appears the Pohlads will have to get their wallets out to keep him. He has said he will not waive his no-trade clause during the season.
    As to the Mets offer, I like 5-1 deals, especially when 2 are major league ready and the others are as good as they are projected to be.
    This said, from the Mets perspective, they had better win the division and WS within the next couple of seasons or the deal will be a complete bust for them and should energize the Twins' franchise for several years.