Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twins Made Santana An Offer

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Twins Made Santana An Offer

The Twins have reportedly offered Johan Santana a five-year deal worth $93 million.
    That'd be far better than the two-year extension they offered him months ago. Still, it's not nearly enough for baseball's best pitcher. Santana should command a deal worth somewhere between $150 million and $200 million when he becomes a free agent next winter.
    I think this is a good start for negotiations. Twins aren't bringing back Hunter so why not lock up your core of Mauer, Morneau and Santana?

MLB ERA

Re: Twins Made Santana An Offer

Great news for the Twins, not so great news for the Yankees or the other teams looking to aquire Santana.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I think the deal is real close. If we made it 100 million total I think its a done deal. Good news to see Polad Pull the cash from his ass and pay someone!
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Twins Re: Twins Made Santana An Offer

Good to see Pohlad get some of those dust bunnies out of his wallet. We'll see how much Santana really enjoys being in MN if he takes the deal.
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

MLB ERA

Hmmmmm.......This makes what I've been saying about the Pohlads a bit incorrect.
    I hope to see this deal made, although this doesn't mean that Johan will be on the team after the trading deadline next July.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

Before ya'll go patting Pohlad on the back for paying someone (finally), don't forget, this isn't a signed deal. There's an offer on the table and from what some "experts" believe, this could be just enough of an offer to keep him here, not really paying the guy what he is worth, when compared with other players' salaries.

So, until the paper is signed, don't go get gushy on Pohlad. In the grand scheme of things, this is a very nice offer, but only high enough to keep other teams from signing him (possibly/hopefully).

MLB ERA

I really hope Santana signs it, and the way it looks at the moment, you think someone is giving Pohlad advice? Or is a he a changed man out of the blue? Just curious.

MLB ERA

Santana is an idiot if he signs this, when he could go to FA and get an even more outlandish salary and go on to a team that doesn't like to see sub-.300 OBP players on the field.

MLB ERA

McKain, somethings are more important than money. I hope to see Johan prove that by taking this deal.
    Sure he could get a lot more, but the fans in Minnesota love this guy and he has said he enjoys pitching for them.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

Some things are more important than money. Going to a winning team, and choosing where to move your family for the first time in your life are fairly prescient ones. Taking below market value to satisfy people you don't know might be less so.

MLB ERA

So there teams out there who will pay Santana more than 18.6 millions dollars a year? Twins made a good offer IMO.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

According to the Star Tribune's Joe Christensen, the five-year, $93 million contract the Twins offered to Johan Santana would have replaced his existing deal.
    That's where the confusion was. Santana is due to make $13.25 million next season in the final year of his contract. The Twins' proposal would have signed him through 2012, essentially resulting in a four-year, $80 million extension. Christensen reports that Santana wants a six-year extension, and since the Twins aren't willing to go that far, both sides have agreed that trade offers will be considered.
    I know why they won't give him the money but come the **** on. The Twins can and should sign him long term but its shame for all Twins fans Pohlad won't.

MLB ERA

I agree with this. Unfortunately, the Pohlads seem to be happy with holding players for 6 years or so and not coming up with the money to sign their stars long-term.
    The Pohlads are the richest owners in baseball and we Twins fans have to put up with this nonsense?????? Yes I'm a bit irritated that Torii signed with the Angels when all it would have take to sign him is a 5 year deal for $75M, which is $15M less than he signed for.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Great article on Santana and how hard it will be to trade him.

ESPN.com - Blogs - Buster Olney Blog

MLB ERA

Of course it'll be tough to trade Johan. He is one of the best pitchers in the game and everyone knows it. How do the Twins get real value for him? They certainly need to either re-sign him or move him (possibly both). They simply cannot afford to let him walk away via free agency gaining only one extra draft pick.
    Who will give the Twins what they need for him? And what should they be asking for?
    Personally, I think they should get at least one major league ready pitcher, a pitching prospect and a 3B for him, possibly an outfield prospect as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast