Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Twins 3rd Base Issues

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Twins Twins 3rd Base Issues

It's obvious that the Twins have some serious 3rd base issues to address this offseason. The team hasn't had a solid offensive player at the hot corner since Koskie, and rotating players in and out of 3rd base didn't really accomplish a whole lot this year.

Here's a look at some options they could pursue:

-Milwaukee has said that they are not going to pick up Corey Koskie's option for next year. Koskie didn't play a whole lot, if at all, in 2007 because of some health issues. He may just end up retiring, but he has said that he wants to keep playing.

-Matt Moses is a prospect in the minors for the Twins. He has not done what the organization was hoping in emerging as their everyday 3rd basemen for the big league club.

-Matt Macri is also another prospect the Twins have in their system. In the Arizona Fall League this year through 11 games he's batting .314 with 4 doubles, 2 homers and 3 rbi's. Another big key is that he has not committed an error yet this fall.

Hopefully the Twins will do something that can help out the organization to get them back to the postseason.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Twins Re: Twins 3rd Base Issues

Here's some more info on Moses and Macri:

Moses started out in AAA Rochester, where he struggled mightily. He was demoted to AA New Britian in mind-june, just as Brian Buscher was called up.

Macri started out in the playing in the Twins instructional league for the 2007 season. During that time he batted .296 in 96 games while banging out 15 dingers and 43 rbi's. His strike out to walk ratio could be a bit better, but if he keeps playing as solid as he is, hopefully the Twins will promote him through the system quickly.

It would be a miracle for Pohlad to open up his wallet a little bit more, and it's sad to know that we are going to lose at least one marquis player from the organization (Hunter, Santana, Nathan...), and with Terry Ryan gone, and not knowing a whole lot about Bill Smith, it's really tough to say what the organization is going to do this winter.

MLB ERA

Re: Twins 3rd Base Issues

I agree about the Pohlads. As to Koskie, I wouldn't mind seeing him back in a Twins' uni, but wouldn't expect much production from him. He has played too hard his whole career and his body may be worn out.
    Macri may not be ready to produce at the major league level and Moses may not make it at all. He has been considered a "prospect", but is nearly out of time, IMO.
    David Winfree and Trevor Plouffe are other options, in the long-term. They aren't ready to come up yet, but either could be pretty good in a few years.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I know I just asked the questions you just answered on her bro, but my post is missing. I am getting old I guess.

Anyhow, thanks for joining the site man. We have pretty fun Twins fans around here and you will be sure to get to know them as long as you stick around.

As for 3B, I can see Krivsky dealing with you guys some more. Edwin Encarnacion could be an option that I would hate to see. But you can never rule out the possibility of Krivsky trying to get some more from you guys.

Terry Ryan is out now and I am not sure of his connections with your new GM, but Krivsky loves his twinkies.

Welcome Chris!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Thanks for the welcome.

I agree with you about Moses, the Twins have been waiting and waiting for him to step up and become the everyday third baseman for the club, but he just hasn't been producing like they wanted to. As far as Macri goes, he's still a young guy, I'm just saying that if he keeps playing the way he does, he's going to move through the organization quickly. So they both fit in along the lines with Winfree and Plouffe as "prospects".
    I'm a fan of Koskie's as well, I would like to see him as a Twin again, but you're right in saying that is body has been abused, he would be asset for possible DH, and fill-in 3rd baseman.

Encarnacion would be a good quick fix from the Reds, and you're right that Krivsky has ties with Ryan. Seeing as Ryan is only a "consultant", it's tough to see how much pull he's going to have in the organization.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Pedro Feliz is available He does play great defense but expect a lot of DP's and no OBP. Koskie isn't worth the paper the contract is written on. Joe Crede and Hank Blalock could be available so I would look there.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Twins 3rd Base Issues

Welcome to S3F. It is a lot of fun in here, and have very knowledgable members in each teams forum. Hang around for awhile and once you get the feel of things around in here, you will meet some great people.

Here is something that I hope does not happen, but it could possibly be an option.

Your Twins could make a play for Bill Hall and move him to 3B.

I hope the Brewers do not give up on him. He is insurance for SS and could possibly be moved to LF or RF next year for the Brewers.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

thanks for the welcome brew fan.

i'm not really familiar with your club, even though they are the next door neighbor. i would like to see the twins promote someone up from the minors, becuase that's what the team has been about for awhile now. bill hall could be an option, but i don't know really for sure what the team wants to do. and if the brewers are looking at hall for options at other positions, the chance of them letting him go is minimal at best.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I keep replying to my own threads, but I keep finding stuff that helps out the whole thing. But here is some more info on Macri:

Macri was a late acquisition this season as he came over from the Rockies system in the Ramon Ortiz trade. A fifth round selection in the 2004 First-Year Player Draft by Colorado, Macri can play all four infield positions -- though the Twins appear to have him focusing right now on third base.
    Considered to be an up and comer in the Rockies system early on in his career, Macri has seen his progress hampered by injuries. That includes a left wrist injury he suffered in July 2006. He rebounded this past season, hitting .299 for the Rockies Double-A Tulsa club before getting traded to Minnesota. As for what his impact will be with the Twins, Macri was sent to the Arizona Fall League after David Winfree was unable to go due to a shoulder injury. So far, Macri is making quite an impression, hitting .333 (4-for-12) in his first four games with a 1.135 OPS. It seems likely that the Twins will give Macri a chance to showcase some of his talent this spring, especially if the club is unable to obtain an everyday third baseman this offseason.
    The Official Site of Minnesota Twins: News: Minnesota Twins News

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Twins 3rd Base Issues

true. But if the right trade offer is there for the Brewers, I could see them letting Hall go.

I dont think he is one of the untouchables on the Brewers roster anymore.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

we need to get a power hitter with a great obs% to help out morneau and cuddyer. I am all for making a deal that would move santana if the right package can be had.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

MLB ERA

Henks, I had a chance to read about Macri when he played highschool ball. He's from Des Moines, Ia (about 60 miles from where I live), and he was a very good player. The Twins drafted him in the later rounds and he decided to go to college, rather than sign at that time. He was a SS/P in highschool, but hurt his arm in college and moved to 3B once his rehab was over. I think he could be a good fielder, but don't expect to see a lot of power from him.
    Its always nice to see another Twins fan online.
    As to Bill Hall as an option, he is a poor fielder, but a very good hitter. I'd rather see him as a DH than in the field.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Yeah, it's nice to see a true Twins fan, a lot of them have become fair-weather the last few years.

Here's a link to Macri's stats so far in the Arizona Fall League:
    The Official Site of Major League Baseball: Events: Winter Leagues: Arizona Fall League: Statistics

I know it seems like I'm all over Macri's nuts or whatever, but I like to see good players from the Minor League teams get promoted through the system instead of going out and getting a free agent that's a good fielder, but not a good hitter; or someone who would be a good DH, but not necessarily a good fielder.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

What about going after Lowell this offseason? The guy put up some solid numbers this season.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

MLB ERA

With ARod opting out of his contract, I doubt if the Twins can outbid the Yankees for Lowell's services. He would be a nice short-term option, however.
    Looks like Macri or Buscher, or another "stop-gap" player will be filled in there. Maybe a bit of all 3.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast