Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Twins 3rd Base Issues

MLB ERA

Re: Twins 3rd Base Issues

Here is another potential option -- Joe Crede. He has a bit of pop in his bat, strikes out alot, but plays solid defense at 3B. He could be obtained for a reasonable salary, IMO.
    On a personal note, I've always liked the way he plays the game. He isn't afraid to get his uniform dirty and he always runs out every hit. He never gives at bats away, although his strike-zone judgement might be better.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Twins Re: Twins 3rd Base Issues

Twins won't pay for Lowell, especially after A-Rod is now no longer with the Yanks. Is Crede a FA this year? He wouldn't be all that bad really. Younger player but yet he has plenty of big league experience. If not, it does look like the Twins will have a minimum of 27 different starters at 3b this year.

MLB ERA

According to the White Sox website, Crede was signed to a 1-year contract last off-season, meaning he could be a FA this year. Not sure of his willingness to leave the Sox, but he is a potential option for the Twins at 3B.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Crede is a FA. And I believe he would be an easy sign. I dont know how excited or in a hurry the White Sox are to re-signing him.

MLB ERA

fact of the matter is, with any and all dealings with the Twins in the offseason, you may as well set your clock to wake you up on April 2nd because nothing will happen. The Twins will either rotate a couple of guys around, or they'll hope that one of their AA prospects can show some maturity.

As long as the Pohlads are in control of this squad, you will NOT see a FA that you ever heard of come into MN to play any position worth talking about.

I love this team, but I hate the coach and I despise the owner. It's been very hard to be a fan at times over the past 15 years.

MLB ERA

I cannot disagree with that stance, Lynch. I've been a Twins' fan for 46 years and have been disappointed more than impressed. The good times have been great, but the bad times have been more frequent. Its time for the Pohlads to stop acting like bankers and start acting like baseball people. They have a new stadium opening soon and need to field a competitive team to keep it full of fans. Good baseball begits good revenue, which allows the team to keep the good players they have developed.
    This said, I would love to see Joe Crede in a Twins' uniform next season, and for several years afterwards. His back issues are troublesome, and playing at the Dome won't help that at all, but I think he'd be happy to come to the Twins to "rub the Sox' noses in it" a bit.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Twins Re: Twins 3rd Base Issues

I completely agree with you cat, Pohlads have a new stadium for the club, and they have to spend some money to field a decent team, otherwise all this disagreement about property price and whatnot is all for naught. No one is going to go to the new stadium to watch a team lose 100 games. I haven't got quite the amount of years as you for being a fan (i'm only 21), so you've seen a lot more of both good times and bad times. Hopefully with this new staduim issue resolved, some good times are in the near future.

MLB ERA

We can hope, but the key is to get the ownership to either spend some of their money or move the team to people who will. The Pohlads are among the richest owners in baseball, and the Twins are among the lowest valued teams (I don't have current figures, but a couple of years ago, they were around 20th or so in value). Perhaps the new stadium will help there, but I'm not sure. If the Pohlads want to make more money, they need to make the team more valuable. The way to make the team more valuable is to ensure that it is competitive every season. There are several ways to do this, either through a great farm system or through shrewd trades and FA acquisitions. The Twins have done their share of shrewd trades, but last season was disappointing.
    As to the 3B issue, I see Terry Tiffee is a free agent again. Perhaps he would be interested in returning?

MLB ERA

Preachin' to the choir on the topic of the Pohlads.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Crede is not a FA and can only be obtained through free agency. He only signed a one year deal to avoid arbitration. Crede will be a FA after the 08 season.

MLB ERA

nm

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Lynch View Post
    Preachin' to the choir on the topic of the Pohlads.
    I figured that, Lynch. The Pohlads saved the Twins from oblivion when they bought the team from Calvin, but they have not been what the team needs lately.
    If Crede isn't a FA, he likely won't be an option. The White Sox don't like to trade within the division, at least not with a team they consider a rival.
    Maybe the Twins could get David Wright added to the potential deal to send Santana to the Mets? Santana and Bartlett for David Wright, Jose Reyes, Mike Pelfrey and the outfielder? Then they would have a reason to go after ARod.

MLB ERA

nm -- double post.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

What are the plans for CF? Hunter sounds like he will not resign! He wants the starts to get signed first Santana/Morneau/Nathan. If thats the case who will we get to be our starting Center Fielder?
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

MLB ERA

I could see the Twins going after Aaron Rowand to play CF, as he will come in about $3M/year less than Torii will.
    This said, I hope to see Torii change his mind, or the Twins management come up with an offer he cannot refuse. He belongs in CF for the Twins.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast