Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Twins Off-Season

MLB ERA

Re: Twins Off-Season

I've seen some rumors floating around of a deal involving Reyes, Carlos Gomez and Mike Pelfrey for Johan and Jason Bartlett. That deal makes a bit of sense, as the Twins get 3 major leaguers for 2, and upgrade at 2 positions. I believe cash is also going to come the Twins'way in this deal.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

All of this said, I like the attitude -- sign Torii to a contract. Silva is decent, but is not more than a 4th starter to me. The Twins need a top-of-the-line starter if they move Johan. Yes Liriano will be back, but having Johan, Garza, Liriano, Slowey and Baker or Bonser in the rotation looks better than not having Johan at all.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

Twins Re: Twins Off-Season

Quote Originally Posted by henks View Post
    ok, so check this craziness out. Bill Smith has said, as reported to the AP, that his priorities are to re-sign Hunter and Silva. That means bye-bye to Johan for sure.
    Actually, you are incorrect on that one. The biggest reason that they want to (and reportedly NEED to) resign Silva is because Silva and Santana are bestest of buddies. In order to keep Santana happy, they are supposedly going to put an extra effort into keeping Silva here.

A happy Silva (with contract) makes Cyantana happy. If Cy is happy, then he stays longer. Sucks to have to do it that way, but if that's the best option we have, you have to do it.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Who would you rather have?? Silva or Hunter?
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

MLB ERA

Is this a trick question?

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Hunter. No doubt about it!!!!

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Hunter my friend. Only issue is this is Silva is not resigned then Santana will leave. Santana and Silva are best friends so if one goes the other will leave as well.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

MLB ERA

Uncle Carl could afford to sign all 3 of these guys and never know the difference. As I have said before, the Pohlads treat each penny as if it was a child of theirs.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

According to the Minneapolis Star Tribune, "indications are the Twins will not offer Johan Santana a five-year extension."

The newspaper reports that the Twins "will make another below-market offer, one that Santana barely considers while waiting to hit the open market." Why bother? Minnesota has already offered meaningless, no-way-he-accepts-that contracts to free agents Torii Hunter and Carlos Silva. For whatever it's worth, Phillies general Pat Gillick said earlier this week that he believes "Santana will be moved for sure" this offseason.
    It will be very interesting to see what happens to Santana. I want to know which teams gives up the farm for this guy, the best pitcher in baseball.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Bill Smith has said that he's not going to open any negotiations for Santana until the winter meetings. Turns out we are in the second week in november, so he'd better get moving.
    -Chris

MLB ERA

With the current attitudes being shown by the management, I would not give Bill Smith much of a chance to succeed in signing Johan to any extension. Santana is likely going to command upwards of $16M/yr. I would say that they will get some significant offers for trades in the meetings and will likely listen to them. I would say that this is too bad for the team. It looks like another "rebuilding" time will start next year. Too bad too. The team is moving into a new ballpark and will not be competitive, unless a very good trade is made for young players, and those players perform the way they are hoped to do.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Yeah, I agree with you. If management does not step up and make some big time decisions money wise, it's going to be the Twins of the mid-late 90's all over again.
    -Chris

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I read where the Twins could be looking at BJ Upton form the Rays. He can play the OF and IF and had good numbers. What are your thoughts? What do you think it would take to get Upton? Baldelli? Crawford? And of the available Rays OFers?

MLB ERA

BJ Upton could be the player the Twins need to play 3B and lead off. He may end up hitting in the middle of the line up for someone though. The Rays are certainly stocked with position players and in need of pitching (something the Twins have in abundance). How about Santana for all of those guys you mentioned, ltr?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Talk about a blockbuster trade!! Santana, Kazmir, Shields would make the Red Sox and Yankees shit themselves. I cannot see this ever happening but do agree with you about Upton. He is young and the Twins have positions to offer a guy like Upton.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast