Thread: Mauer and Morneau to be the Twins version of Maris and Mantle?

AA ERA

Mauer and Morneau to be the Twins version of Maris and Mantle?

The Strib and the Pioneer Press did a preview on the Twins in Saturday's edition. In the Strib's front cover of the baseball preview, it featured how Joe and Justin will carry them to the promise land. In the Pioneer Press's front cover of the baeball preview, it featured them as the Twins version of Maris and Mantle.

I sure would love to see those two be our version of Maris and Mantle. I know Justin will do his thing. Joe will do his thing too as long as he is healthy.

I thought it was interesting that the papers would feature Joe Mauer as the centerpiece of the team considering he is a question mark with his health. Even if Joe and Justin have a great year. I like to see them do this for 5 to 6 years before they would be considered in the same sentence as Maris and Mantle.

I sure hope those two can do some damage this year.

MLB ERA
    well, that's a hell of a comparison for anyone to live up to and I think that it's mighty premature to be doing so. While I think they both have potential to do a lot of damage in this league, it's way to early to say this.

What I'm curious about is where Mauer will end up playing. If his knee is as messed up as they say it is, he obvioulsy won't be able to be a fulltime catcher.

MLB ERA
    There have been a lot of players that have been called the next Maris and Mantle throughout the years. Unfortunately, most of those players never lived up to the billing.

MLB ERA
    Quite honestly, I think the only guys that even came close to "the next Marris and Mantle" would have been the Bang Brothers, McGuire and Cansenco back in their days in Oakland. They went to the WS like 3 years in a row, winning 1 and those two were home run machines. I'm not sure if they ever got the comparison of The Mick and Roger, but if they did, it was probably somewhat deserving for a few years there.

AA ERA
    While I understand that they got the potential of doing that, I am so worried about Joe's health. There is a day that not go by without me worrying about his knee. I am amazed that he is actually playing tommorow afternoon in the season opener. That's an accomplishment for him. Now let's see if he can survive a week. There is a reason why Gardenhire wanted 4 catchers in the roster. He clearly is not relying on Joe to be healthy.