Thread: Santana wants a new deal... now

Rookie ERA

Twins Santana wants a new deal... now

FORT MYERS, Fla. — Johan Santana believes it is time for the Twins step up.

The two-time Cy Young Award winner says the Twins finally have the components to be a perennial World Series contender. And with the team scheduled to move into a new ballpark in three years, he believes the Twins shouldn't wait to try to retain him and the other core players.
    St. Paul Pioneer Press | 03/09/2007 | Santana nudges Twins for new deal

Sign him up ASAP or we'll lose him forever.

MLB ERA
    I agree. The time is now to sign the best pitcher in baseball to a long-term contract. 5 years, $80M should do it, with some incentives to make it richer.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    More like 5 yrs $90 million but this is a must. You can't just lose out opn the best pitcher in the game. Hunter is most likely gone or at least he should be for the price he will ask for. Rowand would be a good, cheaper replacement for Hunter in next year's market. Or you could go even cheaper and sign Byrnes and spread some wealth to other holes like a real DH. Santana is the star and the best and cannot be signed by another team.

MLB ERA
    Like I said, maybe an incentive laden contract, with a base of 5 years/$80M. He has said he wants to stay and would do so for a reasonable offer. I would consider this to be reasonable.
    As to Torii Hunter staying or leaving, I would think a deal similar to Mauer's would allow the Twins to keep him. With the new stadium opening in a couple of seasons, the Twins want to field the best team they can, and outside of Grady Sizemore or Vernon Wells, I think Torii is about the best CF in the AL. I still consider Ichiro to be a RF for those who want to throw his name in the mix.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Santana must be signed to an extension. Hunter is about done as a Twin. Give him the 10-13 million dollars a year he is looking for. With the left over money we sign a good young dh and were set. Liriano's health is the key to what if any sp needs we will have next season. This team should be able to contend for several more seasons.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    As to Torii Hunter staying or leaving, I would think a deal similar to Mauer's would allow the Twins to keep him. With the new stadium opening in a couple of seasons, the Twins want to field the best team they can, and outside of Grady Sizemore or Vernon Wells, I think Torii is about the best CF in the AL. I still consider Ichiro to be a RF for those who want to throw his name in the mix.
    There is no way Hunter is going to take such a significant paycut. Hunter makes $4 million more than Mauer's contract comes out annually. That dog won't hunt. There are other cheaper replacements out there which the Twns will need if they want to keep Santana, Morneau and Mauer for years to come.

MLB ERA
    Its hard to say if Torii would give the Twins a "hometown" discount of this size.
    Back to the topic at hand -- Johan Santana will command a salary in the $200M/8 years. He has indicated a willingness to give the team a significant discount if they are willing to guarantee the contract for a decent length of time (he's 28 now and should be able to pitch at least 10 more seasons). I hope the Pohlads give Terry Ryan the go-ahead to make a reasonable deal that Johan can live with before its too late.
    To keep the best pitcher in the game in a Twins' uniform is very important if the team wants to be competitive.
    Here is a story from Jayson Stark:
    ESPN.com - MLB/SPRING2007 - Stark: Window's closing for Santana, Twins

Rookie ERA
    catman, I gotta agree with you about Torii. I still don't know if he is willing to cut it down a little. Again, I will never know if he ever hurt himself out again doing a webgem.