Thread: 5/11/05: Twins/Orioles Recap

AA ERA

5/11/05: Twins/Orioles Recap

Dissapointing loss yesterday. This is a game that the Twins needed, but it did not happen today. I just didn't think the Twins played well in any facets of the game this afternoon. The pitching stunk. The offense really did nothing. The defense was awful The bullpen was awful. It seemed the team was tired yesterday afternoon with the game last night and the fact they have to play a day game and the fact this was the final game of the road trip. To make it short, this team was flat yesterday

Johan was okay. He did good enough not to lose and he kept the game tied. He got his Ks. Thing is the Orioles found a way to get lot of hits off him and he was throwing lot of balls. He also threw wild pitches. He was uncharactersically off yesterday

Twins struggled late in the game as they could not get the big hit in the sixth and seventh. Ponson was bailed out through a double play. That was the real reason why they loss.

The defense was awful. Twins gave the Orioles extra outs and the Orioles made them pay. You never want to give a team like the Orioles extra outs. It seemed the Twins outfielders had problems with the sun and the shadows today.

Matt Guerrier did okay. J.C. just imploded as usual. I am noticing something from J.C. I think J.C. is not the type to do well when he is being used back-to-back or three days in a row. This is something I just observed. He clearly did not have it.

It was just a rough day for the Twins. Give the O's credit. They took advantage of the Twins miscues today and that's what great teams do. I hope the Orioles do well this year. It would be nice to see them go to the playoffs and have both Boston and NY go home in October.

It was a good road trip for the Twins. I can't complain. It will be good to go back home and it will be good to see Juan come back from his suspension.

AA ERA
    I heard Orioles fans were throwing stuff at the Twins relievers at Camden Yards. Obviously, couple of losers got drunk and they got carried away. Very disgusting. I know it's one thing for NY and Boston sports fans do that, but I never figure Orioles fans would stoop low. Shame on them.

This is just another example why alcohol should be banned in sporting events. We have too many immature people in America as it is.

1st round draft pick voodoomon1jd's Avatar
    Rookie ERA
    Those 2 losers or how ever many do not represent the typical Baltimore fan, well maybe Ravens, but not the O's. The problem there is that a beer actually costs more than the "standing room" only ticket that people have in the courtyard behind the bullpen and it attracts the drunken hecklers sometimes. I remember when OPACY first opened and we were playing Cleveland, there were fans doing the same thing but mostly spewing words that would make a sailor blush, and I remember a relief pitcher Jack Armstrong confronted the guys running thier traps, he acted totally profesional almost like a pshycolgist or something, he talked calmly and explained that thier actions were adversley affecting other fans experience and subtly lamenting thier actions in the presence of kids, and the fans in that area including my uncle and I, gave mr. Armstrong a standing O, and the perpetrators piped down and eventually left the area. Sorry just reminiscing!

Now on to the Twins, both teams played sloppily at times and that is not something either is or can get used to.

I enjoy watching the Twins and understand thier fiscal plight, and admire thier success despite thier limitations. Justin Mourneau and Joe Mauer are two of the brightest young stars in the game, if Mauer can keep that knee healthy, he will soon be the best catcher in the game. Good luck in the central, and until we meet again......

Rookie ERA
    We are so spoiled thinking that when Johan pitches....it's a win! He did fine but the O's found some good pitches to hit.

When JC came into pitch, I turned it off - I knew what was going to happen. And I hate that. Can't wait for Juan to come back. I'm sure he'll be nervous and rusty but he'll feel he has have something to prove and will do just fine I believe.

I'm sorry to hear about the loser Oriole fans - immature jerks I presume. Probably their first time with a beer too. When I'm at a game and I come across someone that bad, I don't have a problem finding security and pointing them out - I've done it. There is no need for stupidity and crude actions at a game or anywhere for that matter. Most people are paying good money to see the game and don't need their day ruined by stupid drunk idiots.

A day off today and getting back home will do our Twins good.

Let's go Twins!!!

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    we loss. all is well Baltimore was the hottest team going in to the series. We will get going soon, if we dont chi town will run away with the division.

Steak i do not see beer being ever stopped for a sporting event. It may be a good idea but you still would get the drunks in there they would bring it in or get hammered before the game. SO it is a no win situation there.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

AA ERA
    voodoo: I agree on what you said about Baltimore fans. They are good fans overall. It's unfortunate what happened according to what Rick Stemalanzek, Twins bullpen coach said. The only way we are going to cure this rowdy fan behavior is ban alcohol sales and ban alchol for sporting events. I don't give a crap how much money a team is going to make selling beer. For anyone that is paying $7.50 for a beer at a sporting event, he or she has to be real dumb doing that. Heck why buy beer. Beer taste like crap. Sports franchises need to wake up and smell the coffee. We had incidents like this in recent years and we already had two incidents in baseball this year and one incident in basketball. How much more fan incidents with the players do you need? We had one with Artest, Pacers and the fans. We had two with one loser attacking Sheffield at Fenway Park and another loser attacking Matt Holliday of the Rockies at Dodgers Stadium this year.

Yesterday was a very sloppy game for sure. O's infield defense struggled too. I think the sunlight and shadows really hurt both defense not to mention both teams were tired from the night game. Still, great teams find a way to overcome these obstacles and the Twins need to know how to do it.

Thanks for the props on the Twins, voodoo.

DG: I am not a J.C. fan as you know. I never liked him going back to 2002. I understand he can't be perfect. With that said, he just does not have the mental toughness or the head to go pitch in a very tight game and it showed again here yesterday. Now to be fair to J.C., he pitched three games in a row I think and I don't think he does well pitching three consecutive days. If I am a TR, I trade him before his trade value goes really down. You would think a team like the Mets or even the Nationals would want him.

mntwinsfan: I just hope the O's come through against She-ca-go.

MLB ERA
    sucks when johan gets on the mound and it's not an auto-win (we've come to expect that). Johan had a decent outting, but not typical of his past 20+ outtings. Too bad losing to one of the best teams in baseball. No shame though.

AAA ERA
    Great series, if Bal's pitching holds up this could be a preview of a playoff matchup. These 2 teams are very fun to watch.