Thread: Twins Interested in Bruce Chen

Rookie ERA

Twins Twins Interested in Bruce Chen

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Why not, he's played for just about everybody else before. Ramon Ortiz and Bruce Chen...Twins fans are probably feeling great about their rotation right now.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by browntown653
    Why not, he's played for just about everybody else before. Ramon Ortiz and Bruce Chen...Twins fans are probably feeling great about their rotation right now.

Let's not forget about Ponson.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    When they're calling for ex-Reds pitcher, that's trouble. But hell, Krivsky is desperate to pick up any Minnesota scraps he can as we had to suffer through Joe Mays last season.

Twins fans are probably feeling great about their rotation right now.
    The Twins will be fine. Johan will be great as you know. Boof really came on strong in the last two months of the season. He has it. We ain't talking Kyle Lohse. You have to figure Carlos Silva will be okay. He can't be worse, right. I am going out on a limb and say Glen Perkins will not only just make the rotation, but he will have a great year and win the Rookie of the Year. This guy is good. Saw him pitch with the Golden Gophers and the guy can throw strikes. Ramon Ortiz is a #5 starter. He will win 10 games and I think Rick Anderson, the fine Twins pitching coach, can get the most out of him.

It won't be that bad really. Radke and Liriano will be missed, but this organization has made right moves and I think everything will work out fine.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

personally I like Chen, if he is signed better than Ortiz.

MLB ERA
    Don't forget about Matt Garza. He could become a very good major league pitcher. He has great stuff.
    As to Bruce Chen, with proper coaching, he could be back to his "old self" quickly. He was a good pitcher for the Braves. If he doesn't make it, the Twins wouldn't be out much money.
    Its a decent move, IMO.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA
    Bruce Chen signed a deal with the Rangers and for that I say congrats to both parties. He will have a good opportunity to display what stuff he still has for a team that really needs good pitching. If he can make it in Texas, he should be around for another few seasons.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    to bad we did not get him signed. We still need 1 more good pitcher that can get us 200 plus innings pitched. I have a feeling Garza will be ready this season to pitch like he should be able to do.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Would you guys think the Twins would go after Redman after this missed opportunity?

And please give me some reasons why Lohse is nothing special. Why should Reds fans feel pessimistic about him despite his makeup of stuff?

MLB ERA
    Look at his record? He Lohse got rocked worse than Radke ever did. Lohse would be good for 3 or 4 innings then get killed. He would last long if you get 5 innings a game be happy, his best role would be maybe set up or long relief. At set up he might have at the most 3 outs to get which may be the key to any sucess.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I figured he had the stuuf to be a set-up type and he wasn't promising in a SP role for us last year either. But I am hoping he can figure out a way to give 6 innings per game. If not, hopefully they look at putting him in the pen, because I believe he can suceed there.

MLB ERA
    that is his future in the pen. he can be good for some innings then he crashes.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

MLB ERA
    Lohse has never had success pitching in relief. The Twins tried to make him into a "long-man" and it was dismal. He does a lot better when he pitches agressively and forgets his 4-seam fastball. He throws a decent 2-seamer and a fair change-up. He tried to be a 5-pitch pitcher (4-seamer, 2-seamer, curve, change, slider) and got rocked. He eliminated his 4-seamer and curve and concentrated on his other 3 and did a lot better.
    When he concentrates on the game he pitches well. In some cases, when his team gives him a big lead, he fails to do this.
    I think Lohse can be a fairly effective starter for the Reds, but it'll take some attitude adjustment on his part.