Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twins Offer Ortiz 1 Year Deal

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Twins Offer Ortiz 1 Year Deal

The Twins are offering Ramon Ortiz a one-year deal worth more than $3 million, according to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal.
    Incredible. Ortiz finished with ERAs of 5.36 and 5.57 in the National League the last two years. With the way his stuff has declined, it's hard to imagine him lasting as even a fifth starter in the American League.
    I say Ponson gets to start over Ortiz and Ponson is on a minor league deal. This is nuts!!

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Tell you how bad things are when you best pitcher Liraino is out for the season and Radke retired. We need arms.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

Yikes. That is quite a bit of $$$$$$ for a bad pitcher! At least by statisical standards. Maybe the way the Twins play defense, he will be a diamond in the rough. You do have one of the best defenses in MLB!

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    Torii Hunter does get after it. As a number 5, he may do just fine!

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    What an awful signing. Nothing more to say about that.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

The amount of money is awful, I agree, but I was just trying to be optimistic for the Twins fans. If the Brewers would have signed, especially for that amount, I would be very hot under the collar myself.

MLB ERA
    Hey, I've seen the kid pitch and he has very good, natural stuff. I will predict that his ERA will be 4.50 or less and we will pitch 180 innings for the Twins this season. I like this signing.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

There you go catman!!! With the defense that the Twins play, his E.RA should drop just thinking about it!!! He can be electric, just needs to be more consistent.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by browntown653
    I have to agree with this, I believe he is on the decline and shouldn't have received anything more than a minor league contract.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by catman
    Hey, I've seen the kid pitch and he has very good, natural stuff. I will predict that his ERA will be 4.50 or less and we will pitch 180 innings for the Twins this season. I like this signing.
    He does have decent stuff. But about 99.9999% of pitchers going from the NL to the AL seem to have their ERAs rise dramatically, and his stuff really isn't getting any better. He certainly isn't worth the amount of money they gave him, especially for a "small market" team. And lest we forget those ERAs were in RFK Stadium, which isn't going to confuse anybody with Coors Field anytime soon.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    2007 = long season for the Twins. Mark it on your calendars now. *sigh*

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

I have heard that before. People, media, fans, etc. counting out the Twins and boom there they are right in the thick of things or making the playoffs,just like last year!!!! It is a marathon, not a sprint, lets see what Gardenhire can do with this team. But, a .500 record does seem to be looming in the Twins direction!

The pay was dumb, but he is a #5 starter. He can win at least 10 games. That's not bad. I think Rick Anderson will get the most out of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynch
    2007 = long season for the Twins. Mark it on your calendars now. *sigh*
    They will be fine. Can't say the same about the Vikings or the Timberwolves. Vikings have a very dumb coach and the Timberwolves have a very dumb owner and a very dumb GM.

MLB ERA
    He does have decent stuff. But about 99.9999% of pitchers going from the NL to the AL seem to have their ERAs rise dramatically, and his stuff really isn't getting any better. He certainly isn't worth the amount of money they gave him, especially for a "small market" team. And lest we forget those ERAs were in RFK Stadium, which isn't going to confuse anybody with Coors Field anytime soon.
    Remember that Ortiz pitched in the AL first and did very well. I expect him to get his form back, under the tutelage of Rick Anderson. I do not think he is done, and could be a very nice pickup for the Twins.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast