Thread: Ponson Signs Minor League Deal

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Ponson Signs Minor League Deal

Twins signed RHP Sidney Ponson to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
    Ponson will get a one-year, $1 million contract if he makes the team and could earn an additional $2 million in incentives. The 30-year-old will battle Matt Garza, Scott Baker and Glen Perkins for two rotation spots behind Johan Santana, Carlos Silva and Boof Bonser. Maybe he can be an adequate fifth starter, but it seems doubtful that he'll be of any use in AL-only leagues.
    I just see him getting his dick knocked in the dirt in the AL Central if he makes the team but can handle the #5 spot til someone else steps up.

AA ERA
    Certainly not a bad signing by the Twins being that it is only a minor league deal with the potential to equal no more than $3 million with incentives. Potentially a low risk, high reward type of gamble.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    My guess is that it will end up being a low risk, low reward, because for some reason he is an absolute shell of his former self.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    I see Sir Sidney in a Rochester Red Wings uniform for the season. He looks like a roster filler to me.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    This is as good as the Twins can do? Wow. Nice pickup. This looks like a move the Brewers would typically make.

MLB ERA
    Victor Zambrano is still available, as are a couple of other "roster-fillers" for AAA. Lets see what else happens.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

Twins

Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19
    This is as good as the Twins can do? Wow. Nice pickup. This looks like a move the Brewers would typically make.
    I saw the headline in the newspaper and all I could do was shake my head and yawn at the same time.

*sigh*

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Stupid move again by Terry Ryan. But I guess I can't blame the guy due to Carl Polad's lack of wanting to spend to build a winning team.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19
    He won't be around.

Twins are relying on Garza and Perkins to win games.

It's amazing how everyone thinks our rotation is going to be bad. I disagree on this. Twins will be fine for it. I am looking forward to see both guys pitch.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

Timberwolf, my comment about Ponson being a nice pickup was made sarcastically!! If he makes the team, sounds like a middle reliever in store for him. I think Gardenhire gets the most out of his talent and seems to pull the right strings most of the time!