Thread: 5/9/05: Twins/Orioles

AA ERA

5/9/05: Twins/Orioles

Big test coming up for the Twins. After feasting on the Devil Rays pitching all weekend long, they go up against the first-place Baltimore Orioles. I can't believe I am saying first-place Orioles. Didn't think that would happen.

The Orioles have impressed me. I knew they would be okay, but not this good. You know how good they are offensively, but what about their pitching. So far, their pitching has been very good. Cabera and Bedard has done a very good job and their pen has been solid. Can they keep it up? I don't know. It depends how good Cabera and Bedard does as the season progresses. Lee Mazzilli has done a very good job in his time with the Orioles. I know Angelos has been frustrated with Lee last year, but to Lee's credit, he got his players to buy into his program and his players play for him. I am happy for Lee Mazzilli. I think he is going to be one of the best managers in the game.

Lot of balls should be out of the ballpark at that home run heave park called Camden Yards. Look for Justin to hit more balls out of the park. It might even land at the Inner Harbor or those warehouses.

Joe Mauer should have quite a workout as the Orioles love to steal.

Big test for Carlos. He has been good overall. Still he has had a tough time against teams who can reall mash the ball and no one does it better than the O's.

I am really looking forward for this series as two great teams go at it.

Silva vs. Cabera

AA ERA
    The big reason why the Twins lost is Daniel Cabera. He was the story tonight. This guy was simply dominating. So Johan-like out there. What can you say? He was throwing strikes all night. He was just awesome. His best moment was in the seventh inning when the Twins had runners at first and second with nobody out. With the way Cabera was pitching, there was no way they were going to get a big hit. I wasn't optimistic and Cabera proved me right by striking out three Twins in a row to end the threat. I yelled out a huge profanity at the library where I work when he ended the threat as everyone just looked at me. That's what you call a very good pitcher. He just did it all. Orioles got themselves a very special pitcher for years to come. Orioles need pitchers like him if they are going to win the AL East. I hope he keeps this up all year long.

Carlos wasn't bad at all. It's just that Tejada owned him as he got the big hits which featured a big HR to make it 3-0. Tejada owns everyone. The way he is playing, he ought to be starting in the ASG and he definitely is my pick to win the MVP.

Matt Guerrier was very good as he has been all year.

The only great thing about tonight was seeing She-ca-go losing as they lost to the Devil Rays tonight 4-2.

You gotta tip your hat to Cabera tonight. The way he was pitching, the Yankees or the Red Sox would not have had a prayer last night. He was that good. Let's get the Orioles tommorow.

Rookie ERA
    I gotta agree with you. He pitched lights out. We got so spoiled with Twins hitting during the Devil Rays series but didn't get pitching from the Rays like we did against the Orioles last night. WOW!

Let's hope Brad has his A game going again tonight.

Go Twins!

AA ERA
    The quote of the night came from Ron Gardenhire in which he said that he is glad that he did not face him. Twins players had lot of superlatives to describe Cabera in the paper and on the Twins website.