Thread: Could Radke be back before the end of the year?

MLB ERA

Twins Could Radke be back before the end of the year?

Radke could start for Twins this week
    September 25, 2006

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Twins right-hander Brad Radke, who has a torn labrum and a stress fracture in his throwing shoulder, might be able to make a start for Minnesota this week.

Radke did some light bullpen work on Monday and felt better than he did in his last session, manager Ron Gardenhire said. If the 33-year-old, who plans to retire after the season, isn't hurting when he reports to the Metrodome for Tuesday's game, the Twins will likely start him in the next couple of days.

If that goes well, there's a chance Radke could have a spot in the rotation for a possible first-round playoff series. Minnesota began the day needing a win over Kansas City and a loss by Chicago at Cleveland to clinch the AL wild-card spot.

"I know that if you have Brad Radke and he goes out and pitches before the playoffs and throws the living fire out of the baseball, I think you'd want to really look at that to see if he could help you out," Gardenhire said. "Chances are he probably could, just knowing Brad Radke." After All-Star and Cy Young Award favorite Johan Santana, the Twins are unsettled. Rookies Boof Bonser and Matt Garza and right-hander Carlos Silva are the others who could start in the playoffs.

MLB ERA
    I'm not sure I even like the idea of Radke coming back. Not because I don't want him, or that we don't need him, but I'd hate to see another game like the one where Liriano came back and ruined the rest of his season.

I don't know how much he's been throwing the past couple of weeks, I but can't believe it's been a lot.

MLB ERA
    Well, it would be a good send-off for Brad to leave the mound at home.
    If he does make a start, I hope the bullpen is completely ready to take over in the 2nd or 3rd inning. I do, however, hope to see him pitch at least 5 innings and pick up one final win.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA
    If we see Radke at all.... I think we'll see him on the mound on Sunday in the final game of the season. He'll get a home-town sendoff in what we can presume to be his final game.

Anyone else see that happening?

MLB ERA
    Sounds good to me. The Twins have not named a starter for that game, yet and it would be Santana's turn that day.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA
    After tonight's start, not only is he back, he could be the starter in game 2 of the playoffs. He pitched really well tonight, getting 10 ground-ball outs in 5 innings. The Twins played very well defensively behind him, for the most part.
    Great to see and I'm happy for Brad. He's been a good guy for the team for a long time.