Thread: Twins at Red Sox (9/19 - 9/21)

MLB ERA

Twins Twins at Red Sox (9/19 - 9/21)

Twins head out to Fenway for a 3 game series against the Sox. Like I've said in another thread, this series is very very important to the Twins (as is every series the rest of the way). A sweep would rock, but I'd be content with 2 of 3. A 3 game sweep here is pretty important though since Detroit is in Chicago right now and Chicago has their collective heads shoved way up their collective asses. Detroit has floundered plenty in the past 5 weeks as well. A Twins sweep over the Red Sox could boost the team into the top spot in the Central. That would mean home field for at least 1 series in the playoffs and depending on how we finish out the season, being only a couple of games behind the Yanks, possibly for the entire playoffs (although doubtful).

We've pretty much got the WC race locked up, barring a complete meltdown by the Twins. Considering how well they've played the past 3.5 months, I just don't see that happening at this point.

Tonight's matchup: Garza vs Wakefield.

MLB ERA
    In the bottom of the 6th, Twins lead 6-1

Garza is pitching pretty damn good and Wakefield only lasted 3-1/3 innings before being yanked. The Twins already have 28 at bats (and 11 hits) going into the 7th inning. Two homers tonight. One by Bartlett and another by Hunter.

MLB ERA

Twins

Game 1: Twins win 7-3

BOSTON (AP) -- Justin Morneau had a career-high five hits, Jason Bartlett and Torii Hunter homered and the streaking Minnesota Twins beat the Boston Red Sox 7-3 Tuesday night to move a half-game out of the AL Central lead.

After trailing Detroit by 10 1/2 games on Aug. 7, the Twins can take over the division lead on Wednesday night from the Tigers, who lost to Chicago 7-0 Tuesday. The Twins maintained their 4 1/2 -game lead over the White Sox in the wild-card race.

The Twins got their ninth win in 11 games with solid pitching from Matt Garza.
    Good win for the Twins. Great game for Morneau who went 5 for 5 at the plate. Man, I'd love to see him win the MVP.

Game 2 tomorrow night and it's going to be a damn tough one for the Twins. Boof Bonser vs Curt Schilling. Game time is 6:05 CT.

MLB ERA
    Its always nice to see the Twins win big games. Who will step up tomorrow? Will it be Mauer or Cuddyer? How about Rondell White or Nick Punto? Maybe even Jason Tyner?
    They are an amazing team that plays as a team. No one really cares who gets the spotlight (after Johan Santana anyway), and they keep on winning.
    Their magic number to clinch the Wild Card is 8, by the way, but I'm not sure they want to settle for just making the playoffs. I think they really want to win the Central this season, just to prove those who said they couldn't do it wrong.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA
    They really need to win the ALC.

It would be a joke if Jeter won the MVP.

Either Thomas or Morneau should get it.

It wouldn't suprise me if Chein-Meing Wang wins the Cy over Johan. I am really suprised Wang has not gotten hyped on ESPN the way his teammate, Jeter is.

Great description on the team, catman.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    How is Garza? He took a line drive off his back last night. Twins are 1/2 game out of first!
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

He looked fine to me when I saw him pitch last night.

MLB ERA
    I was at work tonight, but my wife said Bonser pitched a good game. The pitch Ortiz hit out wasn't a bad one, he's just a great hitter. Torii Hunter crushed the ball in the 8th inning and appears to be trying to be the 3rd guy with 100 RBI (and the 2nd with 30 hrs) for the team this season.
    Amazing season for the Twins, specifically Morneau, Mauer, Cuddyer, and Hunter
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Boof pitched a very good game again from watching the game last night. He matched up Schilling well To me, he should start Game 2 of the playoffs. He is definitely the second best starter on the team for sure.

As for Torii, he has had a great season when you look at it. We keep talking about Joe, Justin, and Michael, but let's not forget what Torii has done. He is close to hitting 30 HRs and 100 RBIs. That's a very good year.

MLB ERA
    Remember this Hunter was out sometime this season due to injury. I do think Radke will be needed for the playoffs. Also Garza pitched will Tuesday night as well, the young kids are doing a great job!

Looks like Chi Suxo is done!!! Time to catch Detroit, I dont want us playing the Yankees to start we need a home series to start the playoffs.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

MLB ERA
    Hunter needs to be resigned as well, he deserves it!
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

MLB ERA
    Torii Hunter is the heart of the team, IMO. Is he worth $12M? Not sure about this, but an effort should be made to resign him to a longer contract. I'd like to see him playing CF in the new ballpark.
    He is on fire right now.

Twins need to keep Torii Hunter. He is one of the faces of this franchise. Torii brings so much to the table. The problem is that he may not want to play because of the turf as Jim Souhan keeps insisting.