Thread: Twins pick up Ruben Sierra / Send Kubel to the minors

MLB ERA

Twins Twins pick up Ruben Sierra / Send Kubel to the minors

MINNEAPOLIS -- The Minnesota Twins purchased the contract of veteran Ruben Sierra on Sunday and optioned rookie outfielder Jason Kubel to Triple-A Rochester.

Sierra stayed behind for extended spring training in Florida while he rehabilitated a strained quadriceps, and went 3-for-12 with a double and one RBIs in three games with the Single-A Fort Myers.

He will be available for Tuesday night's game against the Los Angeles Angels. His primary role will be as a bat off the bench, but manager Ron Gardenhire said he also could platoon in right field.

Kubel, a promising rookie on the mend from a serious knee injury last year, appeared in seven of the Twins' first 12 games, going 3-for-16 (.188) with one RBIs.

"We're really happy with where he's at," Gardenhire said. "He needs to go down and get some consistent at-bats on an everyday basis."

Sierra, a 40-year-old switch-hitter, batted .229 with four home runs and 29 RBIss in 61 games with the New York Yankees last season. He has 306 home runs and 1,318 RBIss in 19 major league seasons.
    Source - ESPN.com

MLB ERA
    Uh, stupid?

MLB ERA
    Sending Kubel down isn't stupid. Signing Ruben though... that's another story. I don't get the move at all.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    older player a solid vet, gives the young guys someone to look up to. I think he can produce in the Metrodome. We will soon find out.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

Rookie ERA
    I like the Sierra thing. Kubel clearly isn't ready for major league pitching and Sierra is a big threat off the bench or in the DH roll. He fills the Jose Offerman and Don Baylor roles which the Twins have had in the past. He provides veteran leadership in a clubhouse filled with young kids. I'm hopeful but do believe this is a good move.