Thread: Twins could lose Hunter to...........the Yankees?

Twins could lose Hunter to...........the Yankees?

Link

MINNEAPOLIS -- If the Yankees decide after this season they want Torii Hunter robbing home runs for them instead of from them, he may be available and seems willing to listen.

Last off-season, the Yankees discussed acquiring Hunter from the Minnesota Twins before eventually signing Johnny Damon to a four-year, $52 million deal. And while Damon is an improvement over Bernie Williams in center field, Hunter (who could be a free agent if the Twins decline a $12 million option for 2007) has won five straight Gold Gloves.

It would seem plausible the Yankees, should they decline their option on Gary Sheffield, would make room for Hunter by asking Damon to move to a corner.

Hunter showed what he can do in the fifth inning last night, running to the fence and leaping to take a homer from Andy Phillips.

A few hours earlier, Hunter said he heard reports of the Yankees' interest last winter, and while he declined to express out-and-out interest in the Bronx, reading between the lines, he seemed to think it would be a good fit.

"I'm still with the Twins," he said, "but as a kid, that's all you knew: 'Yankees.' So when you think the Yankees are after you, you're like, 'Wow. That's cool.' But I'm still committed to the Twins."

Hunter, who has been with Minnesota since the Twins drafted him in the first round in 1993, has told the team he wants to see a long-term commitment to winning before deciding whether to stay.

"It could be ... my last season with the Twins," he admitted. "We'll see what happens.

"Anywhere else would be foreign to me. I was born and raised a Twin. All I've known is Minnesota Twins baseball. But if they're willing to go young and start over, I can't be a part of that."
    I have to say I wouldn't mind this at all as a Yankee fan. The Yankees get a great player in Hunter. Which allows us to lose the crappy player, Sheffield, IMO. While we move Damon to the RF spot. I'd love to have Torii in NY.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    DREAM all you want there is no way we lose Hunter. Ask any Twins fan it just will not happen. Polad needs to blow the dust off all his cash and give Hunter what he wants to keep him in Minnesota.

ask Retro and diamandgirl even Lynch when he shows up I believe they will agree with me.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

First off, Sheffield > Hunter.

Secondly, putting Damon in RF is the worst thing you could do. A RFer is supposed to have a good arm. Damon has a noodle arm.x
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Shef on Roids vs Hunter who is clean.. I'd take Hunter. The day Hunter becomes a yankee is the day Polad better leave the Twins or die.. He can't run a team.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

Shouldn't Pohlad leave the Twins and die anyway. And take Gardenhire with him?
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    yes General yes....
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

Quote Originally Posted by General
    First off, Sheffield > Hunter.

Secondly, putting Damon in RF is the worst thing you could do. A RFer is supposed to have a good arm. Damon has a noodle arm.x
    38 year old Sheffield? Please. Sheffield is past his great playing days. I wouldn't be shocked to see Sheff. retire.

Hunter is a great player, and I'd love to see him in the CF. Not to mention, Damon does have a weak arm. But I always felt the Yankees cared more about offense then defense. So, they'd probably take Damons weak arm in RF or LF. Matsui could play RF.

Quote Originally Posted by mntwinsfan
    DREAM all you want there is no way we lose Hunter. Ask any Twins fan it just will not happen. Polad needs to blow the dust off all his cash and give Hunter what he wants to keep him in Minnesota.

ask Retro and diamandgirl even Lynch when he shows up I believe they will agree with me.
    Well it takes two parties to agree to a deal. If Hunter wants, he can leave Minny. Even if your owner does offer him a deal, Hunter can leave.

MLB ERA
    Nothing would surprise me. I am not current with Hunter's contract situation, but if NY is willing to overpay for Hunter, I'd guarantee you he'd be in Yankee pinstripes as we know that our tightass owner won't dish out the coin for him.

I'd really hate to see him gone because his defense rocks, but his offense has been so average the past few seasons, I'm not sure how my true feelings are towards him right now. I'll be able to give a better opinion on this following this season (or at least the majority of it).

AA ERA
    I don't think Hunter will be a Yankee but nor do I think that after this season he will be a Twin either.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

MLB ERA
    Hunter is a player past his peak coming off a pretty bad leg injury. I would be happy to see the Yankees massively overpay him.