Thread: Opening Day lineup looks set

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Opening Day lineup looks set

PHOENIX -- Rickie Weeks returned to action for the Brewers on Monday after missing two weeks with a strained right oblique, and joined a lineup that looked "strikingly similar," manager Ned Yost said, to what the team might field on Opening Day.
    Center fielder Brady Clark led off, followed by shortstop J.J. Hardy, right fielder Geoff Jenkins, left fielder Carlos Lee, first baseman Prince Fielder, second baseman Weeks, third baseman Bill Hall, catcher Damian Miller and the pitcher's spot.
    Hall, a right-handed hitter, is expected to start the April 3 opener at third base over newcomer Corey Koskie, a left-handed hitter, because the Pirates have tabbed lefty Oliver Perez as their starting pitcher.
    "It kind of fell together after much conversation," Yost said of his batting order.
    Earlier this spring, Yost toyed briefly with the idea of batting Weeks leadoff, and he also mulled whether Jenkins, Fielder or even Weeks fit best in the three-hole. Weeks hit mostly second last season.
    "We think Rickie's got a chance to be a real run producer," Yost said. "We feel like he's going to have more opportunities to drive in runs for us hitting in the six than in the two."
    Hardy didn't look much like a two-hole hitter in the first half of last season, when he batted .187. But he hit .308 in the second half with eight of his nine home runs, and finished with just 48 strikeouts. "He takes his walks," Yost said. "He's a pretty fundamental hitter so you can hit and run with him. He can bunt."
    Man that lineup is scary with young talent. Weeks and Fielder are going to be potent. This team sure has come a long way the last few seasons.

Anyone doubt Fielder or Weeks could become the ROY?

AAA ERA
    Yes, Fielder and Weeks have probably the best shot at ROY. BTW redsrbetter, is EdE eligible for the ROY because of this being his first full season?

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by griffeyfan3
    Yes, Fielder and Weeks have probably the best shot at ROY. BTW redsrbetter, is EdE eligible for the ROY because of this being his first full season?
    No, Edwin's not eligible since he had too many at-bats last year to qualify.

And Weeks isn't eligible for the ROY either, obviously. He played over half the season last year.

You have to have fewer than 135 at-bats or 50 innings pitched, or be on the roster for fewer than 45 days.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    True DK. So the only one with a shot will be Fielder. And he just may get it in real life as he may in my OOTP team.

AAA ERA
    Are there even anymore rookies that could even come close to Fielder in the NL. On BBTN they were talking about a guy from FLorida but i cant remember his name.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Jeremy Hermida is definitely a legitimate candidate as well. He is with the Marlins and would be Fielder's biggest competition. We can't forget about Francisco Liriano though either who is an upcoming pitcher for the Twinkies.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    It's going to come down to Fielder and Hermida, of course. Don't forget about darkhorses like Barfield, Willingham, Jacobs and Conor Jackson.

There's Matt Cain, but no pitcher has been NL ROY for decades.

Liriano is in the AL, so he won't get in the way of Fielder or Hermida.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Thats what I meant about Liriano, he would likely be a leader in the AL. Although, I believe Delmon Young will beat him out.

I think there are so many good rookies coming up this year and I am excited to see them all play. Another one I am excited about is Hanley Ramirez.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash
    It's going to come down to Fielder and Hermida, of course. Don't forget about darkhorses like Barfield, Willingham, Jacobs and Conor Jackson.

There's Matt Cain, but no pitcher has been NL ROY for decades.

Liriano is in the AL, so he won't get in the way of Fielder or Hermida.
    Decades? Jason Jennings won it like 3-4 years ago...

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Witlon
    Decades? Jason Jennings won it like 3-4 years ago...
    Yeah, so did Kerry Wood, Hideo Nomo, Dontrelle Willis etc. My bad, it's actually the AL ROY that hasn't been won by a starting pitcher in decades.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Finally, a guy who admits he's wrong. + rep

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I'm never wrong. This is just a mix-up.