Thread: Sheets out for Opening Day

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Sheets out for Opening Day

<H5>By DREW OLSON

Posted: March 21, 2006

Mesa, Ariz. - For the second straight year, Milwaukee Brewers left-hander Doug Davis will pitch the first game of the season at Miller Park.

This time, it will also be the first game of the season.

Brewers manager Ned Yost revealed part of his pitching plan Tuesday. Right-hander Ben Sheets, who has started opening day the past four years, will open the season on the 15-day disabled list. Yost didn't lay out a timetable for Sheets, but it seems likely that the right-hander, who is recovering from a strained teres major muscle in his back, will make two or three rehabilitation starts in the minor leagues and join the Brewers in the third or fourth week of the season.

Because of days off built into the schedule, the Brewers will not need their fifth starter until April 16 at New York. Yost said it was possible that Sheets, who will throw in the bullpen today, could be ready by then.

"He's definitely moving forward," Yost said. "The only problem is he's not extended. So now we kind of go back to Square 1 and get him extended. He'll be ready to go when he's ready to go. It's just a matter of getting his pitch count up.
    "We're not pushing anything. We'll re-evaluate after (the side session today). It's kind of a day-by-day thing. You kind of schedule it out and get to a point where you're not pushing it (and) making sure that he's totally comfortable with throwing fastballs, curveballs and changeups and then let him go compete. You always dial in that last 5% in competition. Until you're feeling really good on the side, which he's been his last two times . . . there is no need to push it."
    Man thats a shame that Sheets will be out for the first few weeks of the season. This has got to piss off Brew Crew fans. I f I were you guys I would want to see my ace on Opening Day. Are you guys confident he will come back strong from this back injury?

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Sheets is approaching Mark Prior status...

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Yeah for sure. Yet another injury start to the season. Not the right way to kick off this promising season for this franchise either.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Doug Davis is becoming one hell of a stud pitcher.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I think he will be solid. Last season he ranked among the league leaders in quality starts and Ks. Davis is just one Brewer pitcher I am afraid of when the Reds face them this year.