Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Brewers Ramblings

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Random Brewers Ramblings

Posted: March 20, 2006

NEWS OF THE DAY: The Brewers enjoyed their only scheduled day off of camp on Monday.
    ON THE FIELD: Left-hander Doug Davis started a Class AAA game in minor-league camp Monday and gave up four runs (three earned) and six hits in four innings against the Iowa Cubs.
    INJURY REPORT: Shortstop J.J. Hardy, sidelined by back spasms last week, will be cleared for full duty today and could see action in the game. Second baseman Rickie Weeks (strained right oblique) has not begun hitting drills yet and probably won't be ready until the end of the week, if not later.
    SCOREBOARD: Brewers' record: 10-9. Today: Brewers vs. Cubs, 2 p.m. Milwaukee LHP Chris Capuano vs. Chicago LHP Sean Marshall.
    CACTUS JUICE: Infield instructor Jim Gantner left camp on a winning note. Gantner's arrival last week coincided with the start of a five-game losing streak, but he was around for a split-squad doubleheader sweep on Sunday before leaving town. "Gorman called my cell phone and was ripping me," Gantner said of former teammate Gorman Thomas, who left before Gantner arrived. "He said it was all my fault."
    WEATHER: Partly cloudy, 64 degrees.
    COUNTDOWN: 13 days until opening day (Brewers vs. Pittsburgh, April 3 at Miller Park).
    http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=409601

I really hope that Rickie Weeks will be ready to go by the time Opening Day rolls around. I can't wait to see this guy play again.

MLB ERA
    Wtf?!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I have no clue how that happened.

(talking about how 25 new threads came up with this thread's title)

MLB ERA
    lol, I was so confused.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    yea...that was odd...it went on to the 2nd page, almost 30 of the same thread

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Lol, there were about 50 you made in the reds forum the other day. Thread spastastic!

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I guess that's why he's a SUPERmod...able to post 50 threads in a single post!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito
    Lol, there were about 50 you made in the reds forum the other day. Thread spastastic!
    you serious? Were they all the same thread?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    you serious? Were they all the same thread?
    I think it was the reds forum, I'm not entirely sure, but yeah, it was alot more than tonight's.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Well that was sick. But you guys know I just wanted you in here to talk some Brew Crew with me, right?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I can't even find the thread. Might have deleted the one I posted in because my response was "Holy shit"

MLB ERA
    I wish I could have seen it. This whole problem sounds really odd.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Phoenix - Outfielder Gabe Gross is one of the hotter hitters in the Milwaukee Brewers' camp.

But you wouldn't know it from looking at his batting average.

On Thursday afternoon, just 24 hours after hitting a monstrous 470-foot homer, Gross went 2 for 3 with a double, a walk and two RBI. With his second two-hit game in as many days, Gross raised his spring batting average to an unimpressive .216.

Manager Ned Yost isn't overly concerned with the statistics sheet at this point.

"He's hit a lot of balls on the nose for outs," Yost said. "We're looking for good at-bats and he's had good at-bats."

Gross, one of three players acquired from Toronto in the Lyle Overbay trade last winter, might have been pressing early in camp, Yost said.

"He's on the right track now," he said.

Though he was frustrated at times, Gross did not panic. Other than last year, when he matched a Blue Jays franchise record with eight spring-training homers, he has been a slow starter.

Anything to help: Right-hander Dave Bush, who earned the No. 4 spot in the starting rotation with an outstanding camp, said he would have been just as satisfied with a job in the bullpen.

"Either one would have been fine with me," said Bush, another of the three players acquired from Toronto in the Overbay trade. "Whether you're in the pen or the rotation, you have to get guys out.

"The starter's routine, that part I like. But it's kind of exciting in the bullpen waiting for the phone to ring, too."

Bush continued his strong spring with six shutout innings Thursday against the Giants. In five outings, he is 2-0 with a 0.90 earned run average. In 20 innings, he has walked two batters and struck out 14.

Injury updates: Leftfielder Carlos Lee (strained groin) missed his third straight game Thursday and the streak will reach four today, as Lee is scheduled to take part in a full workout at Maryvale while the rest of the team practices in Tucson. Lee is expected to return to the lineup on Saturday.

Right-hander Rick Helling, who has been slowed by arm soreness, will make a three-inning, 45-pitch start in minor-league camp today.

Second baseman Rickie Weeks (strained right oblique) has been taking part in fielding drills and doing some work in the cage but has not been cleared to participate in batting practice. Yost said that might come today and that Weeks would only need "a day or two" of batting practice before returning to game action.

Reliever Kane Davis has been sidelined of late with a case of shoulder tendinitis. Given the timing, it could possibly hamper his candidacy for a spot on the 25-man roster.

Turnbow deal: The Brewers continue to negotiate with the agent for closer Derrick Turnbow on a two-year contract extension. General manager Doug Melvin said the sides exchanged proposals Wednesday and agreed to talk again soon.

Turnbow, who signed a one-year deal for $488,000 earlier in camp, is eligible for salary arbitration for the first time after the season. By extending him for two more years, the Brewers would buy out two years of arbitration, which could save money if he has banner seasons.

If a deal is struck, Turnbow said his 2006 contract would be torn up and a three-year deal put in its place.

"They're still talking about it," Turnbow said. "Right now, I'd say it's 50-50."

Opening act: New Pittsburgh manager Jim Tracy has tabbed lefty Oliver Perez to start against the Brewers on opening day April 3 in Milwaukee. Tracy also said lefty Zach Duke would pitch the third game of that series.

Seeking to split up his lefties, Tracy plans to choose between right-handers Brandon Duckworth and Victor Santos for the second game. Santos was released by the Brewers after going 4-13 with a 4.57 ERA in 29 games (24 starts) last season.

Notebook: With Weeks and J.J. Hardy sidelined by injuries, Bill Hall hasn't seen a lot of action in the outfield. That will change soon. Yost expects to use Hall in center three times before the end of camp. . . . Newly acquired right-hander Allan Simpson, released by Cincinnati last week, is scheduled to throw in the game today.
    http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=410390

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Man this team has some injuries to some important parts. All the teams in the NL Central are having injury problems. Time to try and take advantage as much as possible.

I love that trade the Brewers made for Gross. They got a legitimate pitching prospect in Zach Jackson, a quality young pitcher in Dave Bush, and a decent looking OF in Gross to boot. Not bad for Toronto, not like they need those parts, but turning Overbay into three potentially quality parts was a great deal.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast