Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Brewers Ramblings

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    WOW, Brewers are really sticking. I guess the Reds just pissed them off in enough for this Cubs series. Good mashing Brew Crew!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Wisconsin State Journal: "Capuano threw his first career complete game and shutout Sunday while his teammates pounded Chicago Cubs pitching for five doubles, a triple and two home runs in a 9-0 trouncing around the raindrops at Wrigley Field."
    http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/spor...=82143&ntpid=1

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    The Brewers are not going to promote Dana Eveland to start in place of Tomo Ohka on Saturday.
    Knuckleballer Jared Fernandez will rejoin the club and take Ohka's roster spot. An announcement will come tomorrow whether Fernandez or Ben Hendrickson will get the start. May. 4 - 9:36 pm et
    HaHa, good to see Fernandez is trying to get that knuckler to fool pitchers. I hope the best for him.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Take the case of the Milwaukee Brewers' 7-4 decision over the San Francisco Giants on Thursday at Miller Park. The Brewers were coming off two straight home losses and departing afterward for a six-game, seven-day trip to Los Angeles and San Diego.

"It's always important to try to finish out a home stand with a 'W' or the last game of a series with a win," Brewers manager Ned Yost said. "It's a big win. You don't want to go on the road losing three in a row. That's for sure."

How badly the Brewers needed the victory was evident by how badly they wanted it.

And no play signified that as much as Prince Fielder's collision at home plate with Giants catcher Todd Greene.

The Brewers already led, 2-0, on Carlos Lee's two-out, two-run homer when Fielder singled to right. Corey Koskie followed with a shot to the right-field corner for a double. With Fielder chugging toward third, rightfielder Moises Alou's throw went toward second instead of to a cutoff man toward home.

That gave third-base coach Dale Sveum the impetus to keep Fielder running. The throw from shortstop Jose Vizcaino beat Fielder by a couple of strides, but catcher Todd Greene was no match for Fielder's 260 pounds of full-speed momentum.

Fielder barreled into Greene, who briefly held on to the ball as he tumbled to the dirt. But pain became Greene's first concern, and before he could show the ball to home-plate umpire Tim McClelland, he had shaken his glove off - with the ball rolling out - and reached for his head and shoulder area.

By the time McClellan moved around to the front of the plate to see if Greene held on, the ball was out and Fielder was ruled safe.

Koskie tried to add insult to the injury, but pitcher Brad Hennessey picked up the ball and tagged him out as Greene lay on the ground.

Yost, a catcher in his playing days, had his share of such collisions.

"Many times," he said. "But that was about as good as it gets right there."

Not so much for Greene. He stayed on the ground for a couple of minutes before being helped to the dugout. Mike Matheny came on to catch when the Giants returned to the field for the bottom of the second.

A woozy Greene was able to discuss his painful - and brief - afternoon afterward.

"It looked like I got run over by a train, and I didn't win," Greene said. "I lost that one."

Greene underwent X-rays on his right shoulder for what was determined to be a bruise. No mention was made of any concussion, although he admitted to being quite stunned.

"I guess it's probably like getting knocked out in a boxing match," he said. "Kind of out it for a second, then regain my consciousness. I'm just (upset) he was safe.

"I thought I held on to it long enough. I tried to show him the ball. (But) my face felt like it was on fire, and I needed to put it out."

Fielder remained on the scene much of the time to check on Greene and called him in the Giants' clubhouse after the game to make sure he was OK. The two know each because Greene, who turns 35 on Monday, played with Fielder's father Cecil in 1998 while with the Anaheim Angels.

"I was going hard from first and I knew it was going to be a close play," Fielder said. "If I slid, I was going to be out. He was on the plate. So I was trying to knock the ball loose, and it kind of worked."

A few other things also worked for the Brewers.

At the plate, Lee added a two-run double to make it 5-0 in the fifth.

Starter Doug Davis pitched six shutout innings, although he flirted with some danger by walking three batters to go with four hits allowed.

Davis left with a 5-0 lead before Jorge De La Rosa and Jose Capellan combined to surrender four runs in the seventh. But Geoff Jenkins knocked a two-run homer to the Brewers' bullpen in left in the bottom of the seventh to make it 7-4.

From there, Yost followed his normal formula in the eighth and ninth, with Matt Wise holding the fort in the eight and Derrick Turnbow coming on in the ninth to record his 10th save in as many opportunities.

And with that, the Brewers had bounced back from their mini-skid.

"They believe in themselves," Yost said. "They know that they've been playing really good baseball and that you can't keep a group of good guys down."
    http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=420876

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Brewers get swept:

LOS ANGELES -- Talk about adding insult to injury.
    Ben Sheets was scratched from his scheduled start at Dodger Stadium with shoulder stiffness and Prince Fielder exited after a fourth-inning groundout with a tight groin, leaving the Brewers without two of their top weapons in Sunday's 10-2 loss to the Dodgers.

The Brewers were swept for the first time this season and lost for the fifth time in six games. The team had an off-day coming Monday, and it will regroup for a three-game series against the Padres in San Diego.

"We all could use an off-day," manager Ned Yost said.

Right-hander Dave Bush (2-4) started on three days' rest in place of Sheets and drove in the Brewers' only run against Los Angeles starter Aaron Sele (1-0), who made an emergency start of his own because lefty Odalis Perez is on bereavement leave.

Bush found himself in a 5-1 hole after three innings, allowing six Dodgers hits, including a second-inning solo home run by Russell Martin -- the first of Martin's career -- and a two-run shot in the third by Olmedo Saenz. In six innings of work, Bush surrendered six runs -- four earned -- on eight hits. He struck out seven.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Good Lord, what is it with NL Central players pulling up lame!
    rf28

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Carlos Lee is still mashing it!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsfan28
    Good Lord, what is it with NL Central players pulling up lame!
    Yep, the "DL Central" is at it again. This is far too crazy for any division. Is there a curse?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    With an absolutely huge hit, Corey Koskie made sure that didn't happen.

Koskie's run-scoring double off San Diego closer Trevor Hoffman with two outs in the top of the 10th inning propelled the Brewers to a much-needed 5-4 victory Tuesday night over the Padres at PETCO Park.

The victory snapped the Brewers' three-game losing streak as well as the San Diego's nine-game winning streak. In the process, the Brewers washed the taste out of their mouths from the disastrous weekend in Los Angeles, which began with consecutive ninth-inning losses on freakish hits by Nomar Garciaparra.

"That was a big hit," said Brewers infielder Jeff Cirillo, who reached base four times with a homer, single and two walks. "Corey had never faced Hoffman but he had a good at-bat off him."

The winning rally started when Carlos Lee laced a two-out double into the left-field corner off Hoffman. With the count at 1-1, Koskie took two tantalizing changeups from Hofmann before rifling a fastball into the right-field corner to snap the 4-4 tie.

"Carlos just saves us," said manager Ned Yost. "When we need a big hit, he figures out a way to get one."

Brewers closer Derrick Turnbow took it from there, pitching a 1-2-3 bottom of the 10th with a pair of strikeouts to record his 11th save of the season.
    Brewers are ready to start winning again. Or at least it looks that way.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=422549

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Bill Hall and Chad Moeller each had two hits and a run scored, but their efforts came too late for Milwaukee. The Brewers struck out 16 times in the game and were held to two hits in the first seven innings by Jake Peavy, but they broke through for four runs in the eighth and added one in the ninth on Corey Koskie's homer.
    Thankfully they did not get the win. I am speaking as a Reds fan of course on this one. But they are still very close in this division.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Prince has been on a roll lately! Cappy has been solid so far, too...I'd love to see the Brewers contend for the Wild Card.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    Prince has been on a roll lately! Cappy has been solid so far, too...I'd love to see the Brewers contend for the Wild Card.
    Nope the Brewers can't have it. That Wild Card will belong to the Cards and the Reds will take the division. That just coming from an optimistic Reds fan.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Lee wants to break bank
    May 14
    Newark Star-Ledger (scroll down) (registration required): "The Brewers would love to sign outfielder Carlos Lee to a multiyear contract. But Lee is said to be seeking something at least as big as the four-year, $52 million contracts the Yankees gave Johnny Damon and Hideki Matsui last winter, possibly for more years."
    You gys think the Yankees would be interested?

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    Nope the Brewers can't have it. That Wild Card will belong to the Cards and the Reds will take the division. That just coming from an optimistic Reds fan.
    optimistic? that's not the word I would use

Of course the Yanks will be interested...especially if they get rid of the chef.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    "We've known that from Day 1," assistant general manager Gord Ash said Wednesday. "But we're not the only team. Nobody has any extra infielders. It's getting as bad as catching."

The Brewers lost their primary infield depth, namely Bill Hall, when shortstop J.J. Hardy went on the disabled list with a severely sprained right ankle. Hardy is expected to miss anywhere from two to six weeks with a somewhat tricky sprain to the deltoid ligament in the inner side of the ankle.

Hall, who was Option A in backing up third base, shortstop and second base, will be the everyday shortstop until Hardy returns. With no infielders on the 40-man roster at Class AAA Nashville, the Brewers recalled outfielder Corey Hart to replace Hardy on the big-league roster.

Hardy's injury left the Brewers with only one backup middle infielder, veteran Jeff Cirillo, who said the extent of his major-league experience as a shortstop came in 1994 "when I played one inning in a game that the Yankees were killing us."

General manager Doug Melvin called around to clubs to see whether any backup shortstops were available but had no luck. Barring an unforeseen development, the Brewers have to hope Hall stays healthy and in the lineup until Hardy returns.
    http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=424634

Anyone have any extra middle infielders they would like to see of their team? haHa, Womack is available.

Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast