Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Brewers Ramblings

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Surprise, Ariz. - Although it has not been officially announced, it's easy to do the math and see the Milwaukee Brewers have selected the 13 position players they plan to take north for opening day.

"Looks are deceiving at times," manager Ned Yost said Sunday. "Sometimes, they're not."

Barring an injury or player acquisition, the latter would seem to be the case as the Brewers play out the final week of spring training. The starting lineup was set before camp opened: first baseman Prince Fielder, second baseman Rickie Weeks, shortstop J.J. Hardy, third baseman Corey Koskie (Bill Hall vs. lefties), catcher Damian Miller, leftfielder Carlos Lee, centerfielder Brady Clark and rightfielder Geoff Jenkins.

After a round of cuts Saturday, the five reserve jobs came into focus as well. Gabe Gross and Corey Hart will be extra outfielders, Jeff Cirillo and Hall the backup infielders, and Chad Moeller the No. 2 catcher.

The Brewers can get away with carrying only 13 position players because of their versatility. Hall can play third base, shortstop and second base and also in center field in the event of an emergency.

Gross can play all three outfield spots, and Hart is comfortable in both corners as well as the backup to Fielder at first base. Cirillo can play the infield corners and second base.

There are three more official moves to be made involving position players. Catcher Mark Johnson and utility player Vinny Rottino, both non-roster players, have been told they won't make the club but remain in camp to help handle pitchers.

Infielder Zach Sorensen, who is on the 40-man roster, was placed on waivers in an effort to send him to Class AAA Nashville. When the waiver period ends at noon today, the Brewers will learn if another club claimed Sorensen.

The Brewers must make three pitching moves before breaking camp. One will involve placing right-hander Ben Sheets on the disabled list to provide more time to recover from the muscle tear behind his pitching shoulder.

Right-hander Kane Davis also appears headed for the DL after being sidelined with shoulder tendinitis. Davis, scheduled to be examined today by team physician William Raasch, said his condition has not improved.

"When I bring my arm back to throw, I feel pain," said Davis, who was 1-1 with a 2.70 earned run average in 15 relief appearances with the Brewers last season. "They're treating it like biceps tendinitis but I've had that before and this feels different. It's something new. I can't pitch with that."

Right-hander Rick Helling, who missed time in the middle of camp with elbow stiffness, appears to have recovered sufficiently to make the roster. If that holds true, right-hander Mike Adams would appear to be on the bubble.

To cover themselves for a possible DL move, the Brewers will continue to use Helling in minor-league games. Teams are allowed to backdate DL moves seven days into camp if the player doesn't appear in a major-league exhibition.
    Still talking: Closer Derrick Turnbow said negotiations were continuing for a two-year contract extension. Turnbow, who signed a one-year deal for $488,000 earlier in camp, said he would like talks to conclude, one way or the other, before the season begins next Monday.
    I think Turnbow is nasty and is just another young stud on this team of winners. He is another one that sparks fear in me as he belongs to a division rival. The Brew Crew would be smart to lock him up for this two year deal.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Final cuts are in:

NEWS OF THE DAY: Manager Ned Yost said final cuts probably won't be made until Saturday, the last day of camp. "We want to give everybody a fair shot," he said. The position players appear set, with relievers Jared Fernandez and Mike Adams in the running for the final spot in the bullpen.
    Is that the knuckle baller Jared Fernandez?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    They should start Bill Hall, instead of wasting time and effort on Koskie. Seriously, he's not apart of their future so why bother.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    New marketing deal:

The Miller Brewing Co. and the Milwaukee Brewers have reached agreement on a new seven-year marketing and promotions deal.

The deal is separate from an existing naming-rights agreement for Miller Park - which was worth $41.2 million - that the brewer has through 2019.

The new deal, which carries through the 2012 season, will keep Miller as the official beer of the Brewers and will carry over into radio and television advertising, in-stadium signage, promotions and spring training. Financial terms were not disclosed.

The brewing company also announced plans for the coming season. Miller will promote Miller Genuine Draft Getaway Days, which will occur on mid-week afternoon games. At each of those games, Miller and Midwest Airlines will give away one trip for two to fly to a different baseball city to see a game on the road.

Miller also will sponsor Miller Lite Beerpen on every Friday during the season. At those games, fans 21 years of age and older can buy a seat in the right field loge for $15 ($20 for marquee games against the Chicago Cubs and the St. Louis Cardinals) and receive a complimentary Beerpen T-shirt.

In addition, the Miller High Life will become the title sponsor of the Brewers Fantasy Camp, held each January in Phoenix.

"We look for properties that enable us to bring to life the positioning of our various brands, in ways that are particularly relevant to legal-drinking-age consumers in our priority markets," said Dockery Clark, Miller's director of sports and alliance marketing. "That's exactly what we're going to do through this new, more integrated partnership with the Brewers. And it comes at a time when the area's enthusiasm for the Brewers couldn't be higher."

Rick Schlesinger, the Brewers' executive vice president for business operations, said Miller officials wanted to "go beyond the typical sports sponsorship and create unique marketing vehicles that provided experiential opportunities for Brewers fans and deepened their ties to the team and the community."
    http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=412238

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Ben Sheets (shoulder) threw 27 pitches over two innings in a minor league game on Saturday.
    He actually only got four outs and he gave up two runs, but he was pleased. "I felt great," Sheets said. "I wanted to go more. I felt like my old self again." Sheets is scheduled to pitch in two minor league games and make his season debut on April 16. Apr. 1 - 6:55 pm et
    Hopefully he comes along quicker than normal. It will be good to see this guy pitch again.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Although I've taken a modicum of grief for picking the Milwaukee Brewers to win the National League wild card - hey, the Kool-Aid was tasting pretty good in the desert that day - maybe the prediction was a tad conservative.

Four double plays! Precise pitching! Small-ball in the seventh inning! A Carlos Lee bomb in eighth! The Brewers win the pennant! The Brewers win the pennant!

Ahem.

"We tend to make a bigger issue out of opening day," Jeff Cirillo said with all the clarity he gathered during his winning, pinch-hit at-bat in a seventh in which the Brewers actually did some of the little things required of a consistent baseball team.
    It was a good game yesterday even though it pissed me off. Cirillo game through in the clutch and I have to agree the pitching was very good. I definitely underestimated Davis.

Will it continue?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Freaking Brewers did it to me again! Thats twice now that they took a victory over my head. A good win tonight and it was good to see Fielder get his first hit of the season. Although it was memorable for him, it was a defining moment in the game where it scored the winning run. So I hate him right now even though he won ROY for me on my SBSL team.

Well damn, Brewers keep winning. I still watch that ESPN tracker to see if they lose every night, so then the Tigers can be the sole undefeated team as of right now in the MLB.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Brewers finally lose one. They have been doing all this without Sheets as well.

MILWAUKEE -- On the first of many "Retro Sundays" for the Milwaukee Brewers this season, the club -- at 5-0 for the first time since 1987 -- was hoping to channel the memories and the good Brewers baseball of the 1980s.
    With Arizona right-hander Claudio Vargas operating the time machine dials on Sunday, the scene more closely resembled the 1990s.

Vargas tossed a dazzling six innings and Milwaukee moved a runner past second base just once as the D-Backs ended the Brewers' five-game winning streak to open the season with a 7-0 win before 28,115 at Miller Park.
    http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/NAS...=.jsp&c_id=mil

Yah they lose when the Tigers lose. Bastards.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    The Brewers rotation may be as underrated as the potential Tigers rotation. 5 solid guys.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

I wouldn't exactly call Maroth and Robertson solid.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    In his final rehab start, Ben Sheets (shoulder) struck out nine in 5 2/3 scoreless innings for Triple-A Nashville on Tuesday.
    Sheets gave up three hits and walked none. He should be safe to activate him for his scheduled start Sunday against the Mets.
    Brewers need him as their ace to contiue their hot start.

Ha no shit. I always felt bad for him, being on the Brewers, that he'd never win 20 games. But yah know, this could be the year. Cause on any other team he would've won 20 year after year.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    They are definitely doing great without Sheets so far. Anyone think Davis will get the win tomorrow?

Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast