Thread: Brewers sign Sheets to four-year deal

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Brewers sign Sheets to four-year deal

Ace inked to richest contract in franchise history

MILWAUKEE -- Move over, Geoff Jenkins and Jeffrey Hammonds. There's a new rich kid in town, and the Brewers believe he is ushering in a new phase in franchise history.

Mark Attanasio and the Brewers' new ownership group accomplished priority No. 1 on Friday when ace right-hander Ben Sheets signed the richest contract in club history, a four-year, $38.5 million contract through 2008.

The announcement came about three hours before Sheets' scheduled start against the St. Louis Cardinals at Miller Park.

"I'm still starting," the unassuming Sheets said in an afternoon press conference, wearing shorts and a t-shirt, his blonde hair tussled as usual. "It's my day. It's what I do. This ain't gonna cross my mind when I'm in between the white lines. It never has, it never will. I've got more things to worry with the guys in that lineup across the way."

Will it change his life?

"I could have two pair of camouflage pants now, instead of one," Sheets said. "That's pretty good."
    Click here for the rest

AA ERA
    Good to see the Brew Crew keep him on aboard.

I knew Sheets would stay considering the fact that the new owner is committed to winning in Milwaukee.

It's nice to see guys like Johan, Jake Peavy, and now Ben Sheets aboard for their original teams for a long time.

Yeah good move by the Brewers. He's always been a good pitcher since his college and team USA days. Last year he showed what he's capable of and the Brewers rightfully rewarded him.

Sheets had a great year last year, I just hope he can keep it up for his contract, I'm happy he's in Milwaukee.

Definitely a good move by the Brewers. They look dangerous for next few years.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    wasnt he their property until after the 2006 season anyways? pretty much something that looks good and makes sure that there is no talk of trading him later this year or next.

Glad to see them sign one of their best players to a contract extension and keep him around. he's a great pitcher, and it's definitely a smart move by them.

MLB ERA
    rockin, he was their property throught arbitration rights until 2006. This deal gives Sheets guaranteed money and gives the Brewers cost certainty for the next several years, much like the deal Rich Harden recently signed. Still a good move.