Thread: Melvin gets extension through 2009

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Melvin gets extension through 2009

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NAS...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Barely a month after the team he assembled wrapped up its best season in 13 years, Brewers general manager Doug Melvin was richly rewarded. The club announced a new three-year contract extension for Melvin on Saturday, locking up the veteran executive through the 2009 season.
    The club did not divulge the financial terms of the new pact, but principal owner Mark Attanasio said in a conference call that Melvin's compensation is "at the upper end of the range" of general manager salaries.

And that would certainly seem to be deserved, as Melvin has helped build a promising organization in Milwaukee. Melvin took over the baseball side of the Brewers in September 2002, and has overseen a transition from a 106-loss season in 2002 to an 81-81 mark and a third-place finish in 2005.

"The way I look at it is that when I was out of a job in '02, the Brewers gave me that opportunity to come in and try to get them back on a winning path," Melvin said. "I felt that with the progress we've made, and coming off the year we did, and with the future we feel we have, it's good to get this extension so we can continue building this organization."
    Brewers have a bright future IMHO; good move

Starting to really like the new owner of the Brewers. He's doing a good job so far. HOpefully they can go out this offseason and improve.