Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Brewers Jenkins rejuvenated

Jenkins' resurgence critical
    Hot streak at the plate has helped team climb
    By TOM HAUDRICOURT
    thaudricourt@journalsentinel.com
    Posted: Aug. 8, 2005
    Manager Ned Yost realizes there are many reasons for the Milwaukee Brewers' improved play in recent weeks but noted that one stands out above the rest.

"When 'Jenks' started hitting, we became more consistent," Yost said.

'Jenks' would be rightfielder Geoff Jenkins, who has been the hottest hitter in the majors since early July. After going 1 for 4 with a pair of RBI Monday night against St. Louis, Jenkins is batting .405 (47 for 116) with 21 extra-base hits and 28 runs batted in since July 5.

Over that span, the Brewers are 17-14, boosting them into the thick of the National League wild card race.

It has been a dramatic turnaround for Jenkins, who was batting .245 on June 30 after hitting a woeful .211 that month. He caught fire in July, batting .379 for the month, then collected 12 hits in his first 24 at-bats in August.

"That's the way it happens sometimes," said Yost, who also noted the effect of having rookie Rickie Weeks in the No. 2 spot in the lineup.

"Guys with talent like that are able to recover and get it done. I felt all along that 'Jenks' was going to get hot and carry us for a while."

Jenkins' prolonged hot streak has not gone unnoticed in the Brewers' clubhouse, particularly with the inevitability of Carlos Lee cooling off somewhat after the all-star break.

"When 'Jenks' started hitting, that was huge," first baseman Lyle Overbay said. "I know he was pressing from the beginning, because he thought if he hit we'd be OK.

"You knew from looking at his numbers in the past, it was going to even out."

The gold standard: It is not the intent of their existence, but the St. Louis Cardinals serve as the measuring stick for the rest of the NL, giving opponents a chance to see how they measure up to the best.

"They're the top team in the NL," Yost said. "Them and Atlanta, for me. They're not only talented, they play the game the way it's supposed to be played.

"The thing that impresses me most is their ability and want to play the game right. That's what we try to do."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brew/aug05/347036.asp

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Jenkins has raised his AVG from .281 to .289 in the last 10 games. Despite going 0 for 7 his last two games. The last 10 games he has batted .378. I think we have a definite rejuvenated Jenkins.

AA ERA
    Brewers are playing nice now. Not surprised, this team is solid now.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Well the Reds beat these Brewers last night on some good bullpen work. I am hoping the Reds can catch these Brewers soon. Reds are 2.5 games behind the Brew Crew and can nearly catch them over the next few nights. Good luck, because this Reds team is also on fire.

AA ERA
    Reds in the playoffs? It could happen .

Cubs-Reds-Brewers is shapping up for a good race.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle