Thread: Should the Brewers be concerned about Ben Sheets?

Rookie
    Down in Kokomo, where we'll get there fast and then we'll take it slow.
    Rookie ERA

Should the Brewers be concerned about Ben Sheets?

We all know that Sheets has had major talent, it wasn't untill last year that he really began to display it at the major league level. This season is not a bad one at all, don't get me wrong. But either something is up with him mechanically or he just had a fluke year. Obviously, last year was a special one for him and hard to duplicate, but a few stats are bothering me.

He's been more hittable.
    (.226 batting average against in 2004, .246 now)
    He's letting more on base.
    (.255 OBP in 2004, .283 in 2005)
    Giving up more homers.
    (25 homers in 237 IP in 2004, 15 homers in 94 IP in 2005)
    His K/9 is down.
    (Down from 10.03 to 7.66)

Code:
    Season	  	  GB	  FB	 G/F
    2001235	148	1.59
    2002	305	207	1.47
    2003	317	258	1.23
    2004	267	224	1.19
    2005      103	121	0.85
    I know his G/F has been on the decline, but this is a little troubling. To be successful he needs to get those grounders and with the increase amount of walks and lower amount of strikeouts, I wonder if throwing all those innings last season either tired him out or casued some kind of minor arm injury. Any Brewers fans know if he has changed something with his delivery? Whatever it is, I hope he fixes it. He looked sheer dominant last season and I want to see that return. Maybe it was just a career year or this is just a down year... I tend to get concerned if the pitcher is young and throwing a lot of pitches though.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I think it was definitely a career year last season. And as you said, he is still doing pretty well this season, but he is nowhere near the pitcher he was last year. So, something must be going on. I wish I knew what it was, but with him still doing decent most fans and managers may no want to bring it up. Good points though Philly!

Rookie
    Rookie ERA
    From what I seen, Sheets appears to be physically fine. Either he or someone in the Brewers organization has messed with his mechanics to try to make him something that he is not. He needs to let his defense do the work and try to induce those grounders, when he can do that properly, the strikeouts come in big totals.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Good thoughts Philly. Sheets has posted a 3.46 ERA in his last 10 starts around 5Ks per start. He has also taken the team into the 6th inning every start but once in his past ten appearances. So, I still think the numbers are there, but it is still not last season more of a domination. Maybe you are right, they are probably changing the way he is going about things, but at least it is not effecting him too badly.

Rookie
    Rookie ERA
    Sheets last two starts since I posted this have been much better in terms of racking up the K's. He's had 14 strikeouts in 13 innings pitched. I don't want anyone to assume I am getting on Sheets case, he's still having a great season but from watching him pitch in the minors and with the Brewers, I know he is capable of more. And whenever he struggles, I get worried that there is something with his arm. Sheets is a stud and I hope he has a strong next few months, I think he is about to turn it up.