Thread: Weeks gets five year extension

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Brewers Weeks gets five year extension

According to the Associated Press, the Brewers and Rickie Weeks have agreed to a four-year $38.5 million extension which includes an option for 2015 that could push the total value to $50 million.
    The fifth year option would become guaranteed based on certain benchmarks, according to the Associated Press. Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reported earlier Wednesday that the Brewers would have the right to void the fifth year if Weeks is not an everyday player in 2013 and 2014. The deal is expected to be officially announced by the end of the day Wednesday.
    This buys out three years of free agency. I think this is a risky move for the Brewers. Not just because of the health risk but because of his poor fielding. He will or at least should move positions at some point which could cause a problem. Hopefully for the Brewers, that 5th year option won't kick in. That middle infield is going to hurt the Brewers this year.
    Last edited by love_that_reefer; 02-16-2011 at 04:10 PM.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Weeks gets five year extension

One decent year and the first where he was mostly healthy, and he gets a pretty big deal considering.. dang.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Considering what Uggla got, who does have a more proven track record with his bat, I don't think this was too crazy. Its a bit long as he really hasn't established these numbers as what to expect from him, but I guess the Brewers didn't want to risk what he would ask if he continued producing them.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I think you stated why it kinda is crazy. Uggla does have a proven track record. Weeks does not, except for a lot of injuries.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

True, and again this is risk, but if Weeks of 2010 was more real than fake, his upside is also greater than Uggla. I am not saying the deal wasn't extravagant, I just get how Weeks and his agent were able to get something close to what Uggo got.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Here is a thought... what if the Brewers are expecting that Prince is a goner and plan to move Weeks and his abysmal defense to 1st?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Weeks is younger and faster but that's it really. Doesn't haven't the power or health of Uggla and they are both horrendous in the field.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Agreed. Just stating that Uggla was a good contract comparison point, even if Uggla is the more dependable commodity, as they do share similarities.