Thread: Macha No Mas

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Brewers Macha No Mas

The Brewers have declined to pick up the 2011 option on manager Ken Macha and will look for a new manager this offseason.
    The Brewers ended the season in third place in the NL Central with a 77-85 record, 14 games behind division leader Cincinnati, and were 157-167 under Macha. Finding some pitching to go with Yovani Gallardo would probably be a more important decision, but that's also more expensive than changing managers.
    I haven't really been following Macha's in game management so I might be out of line but I don't think he deserved this one. Sure the Brewers were disappointing but the front office didn;t really do a lot to get good quality pitching. Wolf was a huge disappointment and Fielder had a slow start and all around disappointing season. I don't see how this is Macha's fault but just chalk up another managerial opening for MLB. Any idea of in house replacements?

MLB ERA

Re: Macha No Mas

Jerry Manuel!

He had a great year.

YEEEEEESSSSS!!!! HE'S GONE!!!
    TBSL manager of the Washington Nationals 2010-present
    Former TSSL manager of the Washington Nationals 2019-2020 163-161 .501
    Former TSSL manager of the Toronto Blue Jays 2018-2019 record- 118-206 % .364
    Former CSSL manager of the San Fransisco giants 42-40 % .512

overall record 323-407 pct: .442

www.youtube.com/packersrock58
    christopher_stone_1@msn.com

AAA ERA

Brewers confirm manager Macha being let go
    By COLIN FLY, AP Sports Writer

MILWAUKEE (AP)—Ken Macha will not return as manager of the Milwaukee Brewers, who have not made decisions about his staff.

The 60-year-old Macha was 157-167 in two losing seasons following Milwaukee’s first postseason appearance in 26 years. The club confirmed the decision not to exercise its option Monday.

“I just told him that we felt we didn’t win here, we didn’t meet our expectations and whether our expectations are realistic or not, that’s probably what we have to look at,” general manager Doug Melvin said. “I think he understood and then got in his car and headed home. I admire Ken because he’s a solid baseball guy.”

Melvin said there was nothing Macha could’ve done to save his job except win more, even though he acknowledged this team didn’t have the same talent as the 2008 squad that won the NL wild card.

“Ken came in in a tough situation,” the GM said. “He understood that, and he just did the best he could.”

Milwaukee will begin next year with its fourth manager in just more than two seasons. The club fired Ned Yost with 12 games left in 2008 and didn’t keep interim Dale Sveum, leading to Macha’s hiring.

Melvin’s options include Sveum, who returned as hitting coach; bench coach Willie Randolph; or someone from outside the organization. Melvin said he would talk to the coaching staff this week. He did not identify anyone as a potential candidate to take over and said there was no timetable to hire the 18th manager in the club’s 42-year history.

The new skipper will take over a team that has an entire starting lineup that’s currently 28 or younger. All those players are under team control or signed through next season.

“The bottom line is to win the games. If you don’t win games, they’re going to get somebody in there with a different voice and try to get the guys to listen to it,” Macha said. “When you get these jobs, it’s just a matter of time before there is a change.”

The Brewers won the NL wild card in 2008 to snap a 26-year postseason drought, but CC Sabathia(notes) and Ben Sheets(notes) left as free agents and the pitching replacements each of the last two years haven’t done the job.

Even that season, Yost was fired in favor of Sveum, who went 8-8 including the playoffs and was passed over in favor of Macha.

Macha again has had to fend off questions that he struggled to connect with his players after similar murmurs in Oakland despite two division titles from 2003-06.

Macha said he was available any time for his players, and that he appreciated that Melvin allowed him to manage the team the way he wanted. About a dozen players came in after the season finale in Cincinnati on Sunday to wish Macha well.

“They kind of knew that this was going to happen,” he said.

Macha said he’s interested in continuing his managerial career, and there are several big league openings. He has a .540 winning percentage in six seasons, but his teams in Milwaukee didn’t come close to his run of success in Oakland.

The Brewers led the NL Central in 2009 by two games coming into July, then went 9-16 that month and dropped out of contention. This season got off to a slow start followed by a miserable May. They finished 77-85 after a loss in Cincinnati on Sunday.

Macha wasn’t bitter as he prepared to leave for his home in Pittsburgh. Milwaukee, sometimes overshadowed by the Green Bay Packers, is firmly a baseball town.

“I really enjoyed the time there. Everybody should experience Milwaukee baseball,” Macha said. “The fans are great, people come up to you all the time and thank you. I’m glad I got the opportunity to experience that. It’s been a great experience for me.”

I have no idea. Knowing Melvin and the idiot that he has been he'll choose someone outside the organization. Personally I would love Sveum but he already said he wouldn't want the position so who knows!

Rookie ERA

HELL YEAH! This is the best news I've heard since releasing Jeff Suppan!

Now onto many months of pondering who our next skipper will be. I sure hope it's Dale Sveum, he managed the team really well after Yost's dismissal. He also has energy unlike Macha. Every time I heard Macha talk in an interview I thought he was about to fall asleep on live T.V...A young team needs an energetic manager.
    MIL Bucks
    Record: 0-0 (Offeseason)
    Conference Place: None
    MIL Brewers
    Record: 77-85
    NL Central Place: 3rd
    GB Packers
    Record: 3-1
    Division Place: Tied for 1st

AAA ERA

I totally agree but right now he's being looked at by the Pirates and Doug Melvin being the idiot that he is has already said that he's going to go outside the organization to look for a manager.

Bob Melvin is being looked at....How wonderful...

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Meanwhile the Pirates have interviewed Dale Sveum.