Thread: Edmonds Traded To The Reds....

AAA ERA

Brewers Edmonds Traded To The Reds....

Edmonds dealt to Cincy for Dickerson
    Brewers send veteran outfielder within division to Reds

08/09/10 1:35 PM ET

MILWAUKEE -- Jim Edmonds will continue his comeback season in a pennant race.

Edmonds, the 40-year-old who returned from a year off and proved he still can play, was traded within the National League Central from the third-place Brewers to the first-place Reds on Monday. The Brewers received another outfielder, 28-year-old Chris Dickerson, in return.

Dickerson, who is coming off a Minor League rehabilitation assignment following hand and wrist surgery, was en route to Milwaukee on Monday afternoon and expected to be in uniform for the opener of a three-game series against the D-backs.

Asked whether the priority was acquiring Dickerson or moving Edmonds to a first-place team, Brewers general manager Doug Melvin said, "A little bit of both."

"But the reason a player like Dickerson is in it is that we're still trying to win as many games as we can," Melvin said. "I don't consider us out. I consider us trying to get a good streak together. We're still coming back with a player who can play on our Major League team, not a Class A prospect."

Dickerson was in Cincinnati's Opening Day lineup but has missed most of the season after surgery to repair a broken hamate bone in his hand and to "clean out" his right wrist. He has been on rehab assignment at Triple-A Louisville since July 16, batting .442 (19-for-43) with three homers, seven RBIs and six stolen bases in 13 games. He is coming off consecutive three-hit games but has not played since Tuesday.

In parts of the past three seasons with the Reds, Dickerson is a .274 hitter with eight homers and 30 RBIs in 148 games, including 94 starts. He's a left-handed hitter and thrower.

Dickerson is under club control for four more seasons after this one and will still be a low-cost, "zero to three" player in 2011.

"There's a little bit of injury history to him, but he can play all three outfield positions," Melvin said. "He's a contact guy more than a power guy. He can run well."

Edmonds turned 40 on June 27 and has battled a series of nagging injuries this season after sitting out all of 2009. His most recent ailment is a very sore right Achilles that has limited his ability to run but hasn't hampered him at the plate, where Edmonds owns a .286 average this season with eight home runs and 20 RBIs in 73 games.

Late last month, Edmonds hinted that he was considering retirement after this season and would play out the remaining games, "like they're my last."

"I liked him," Melvin said. "He played well for us and is a good, veteran guy. I liked his presence, too. He's the kind of guy who follows the game real well, and I thought he was good for our club. He got some big hits for us. I believe he can still play if he gets through the injury factor."

Both teams reviewed the players' medical records before consummating Monday's trade. Edmonds only earns an $850,000 base salary this season, so there was no cash involved.

Dickerson could take over from Edmonds in a timeshare with Brewers rookie center fielder Lorenzo Cain, who made his first two career starts during the just-completed sweep of the Astros and logged his first RBIs and stolen base on Sunday.

Is this going to be good or bad???? Right now I say bad!!! Prove me wrong on this one......

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Edmonds Traded To The Reds....

Well, you don't have to keep a walker around in the clubhouse anymore.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

You got the better end of this deal. Dickerson is a good CF, not a lot of pop, but a good average guy with great range.
    rf28

AAA ERA

Don't count Edmonds out though either. He may not have the bat a lot of the time but he did make excellent plays for us.