Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Brewers Saving Grace

Brewers' saving grace
    Pitching keeps them close to .500 mark
    By TOM HAUDRICOURT
    thaudricourt@journalsentinel.com
    Posted: July 9, 2005
    Atlanta - Considering the Milwaukee Brewers entered the final weekend of the first half ranked next-to-last in the National League in offense (.253 team average) and defense (.980 fielding percentage), it was somewhat amazing they were within five games of .500.

It didn't hurt that the pitching staff was ranked fifth (3.91 team earned run average) but it's difficult to get by for an entire season on pitching alone. When told that some fans and talk-show pundits continue to call for the head of hitting coach Butch Wynegar while others question the preparation of a team that makes so many defensive mistakes, manager Ned Yost said those critics were off-base.

"Spend a day with Butch and tell me he doesn't prepare those hitters," Yost said. "You know how hard he works.

"We sat here (Friday) at 1:30 p.m. and had an hour-and-half meeting, going over every player on (Atlanta's) team. And then we have a players' meeting. "It comes to the point where the players have to do it. It's that cut and dried. They have to take their preparation and get the job done. We can't do it for them. We can just set it up for them."

As for the big picture, with the second half still to come, Yost said: "You ride things out. We've got what we've got. Do you want to just dump them all and start all over? Where do you start?

"We know the job we do (as a staff), and for us to have to stand up and defend that? We're not 25 games under (.500). I think if you poll our fan base, the majority will say we're headed in the right direction."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brew/jul05/339836.asp

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    The Brew Crew has an amazing pitching staff and as mentioned in this article, they just need some more offense. Regardless, I just don't see this team being able to make the playoffs. A goal should be to finish at or above .500.

Rookie
    Down in Kokomo, where we'll get there fast and then we'll take it slow.
    Rookie ERA
    The Brewers will be possible playoff contenders next season if their minor league bats continue to develop. Oh, and they need to keep Lyle Overbay for a bit. There is no reason to rush Prince Fielder, he is young and he needs to get some more experience at the minors. Or at least trade Overbay when he pumps up his value, I do believe he can hit better than he is now.

AA ERA
    This whole Central has the chance to be full of competition for years to come . Brewers are a solid team.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Look at the castoffs, homegrown players, and aqusitions on that staff.

Turnbow, Davis, Santos have come out of nowhere to become good/great pitchers for the Brewers. How the hell do they find these guys?