Thread: If Brewers Talk, Will Fielder Listen?

AAA ERA

Brewers If Brewers Talk, Will Fielder Listen?

If Brewers talk, will Prince listen?
    Milwaukee owns All-Star's rights for two more seasons

01/22/10 1:00 AM EST

MILWAUKEE -- Brewers general manager Doug Melvin retained his star closer in October, rebuilt the lineup with a November trade and then landed the second of two starting pitchers he coveted this week. With a month to go before the mitts start popping in Spring Training, there's one big agenda item left to check off: exploring an extension for Prince Fielder.

If the Brewers are indeed preparing to approach their superstar first baseman and his super-powered agent, Scott Boras, about a contract extension to keep Fielder in Milwaukee past 2011, the team's veteran general manager is keeping those plans to himself.

"It's a big one," Melvin said this week, "and if we have any kind of conversations it wouldn't be for publication. You don't want to be asked about it every 24 hours. I'm not going to get into that sort of thing.

"But at some point, we said we want to get together. It has to be the right time. Is it the right time now? I don't know the answer to that."

A discussion of Fielder's future requires this disclaimer up front: He's already under contract for 2010, then is under club control for one more year of arbitration eligibility in 2011. That means the Brewers own Fielder's rights for two more seasons, and, as Melvin has pointed out in the past, this means that there is no sense of urgency to strike a deal.

Click Link for Full Story.

If Brewers talk, will Prince listen? | brewers.com: News

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: If Brewers Talk, Will Fielder Listen?

And I am sure Boras feels no urgency either to find Prince a long-term home before his free agent offseason. Even though it certainly doesn't help the Reds, I hope Fielder stays in Milwaukee as their star.

AAA ERA

God willing but if Fielder has a killer year he's gonna want the money to go with it just like the other good players that left and we just don't have it.

unless we get some pitching and start winning, he's gone another year like last year and he's gone
    TBSL manager of the Washington Nationals 2010-present
    Former TSSL manager of the Washington Nationals 2019-2020 163-161 .501
    Former TSSL manager of the Toronto Blue Jays 2018-2019 record- 118-206 % .364
    Former CSSL manager of the San Fransisco giants 42-40 % .512

overall record 323-407 pct: .442

www.youtube.com/packersrock58
    christopher_stone_1@msn.com

AAA ERA

Well thankfully so far the man makes me eat my words.

Prince focuses on playing, not contract
    Brewers begin extension talks with star slugger's agent

01/31/10 6:45 PM EST

MILWAUKEE -- Prince Fielder isn't sweating his contract situation, unlike so many of the fans who asked for his autograph at Brewers On Deck on Sunday.

Fielder is two seasons shy of free agency, and the Brewers are already engaging his agent, Scott Boras, in some casual conversations about a long-term extension. Trouble is, there is little or no precedent for a Boras client of Fielder's star caliber accepting such a deal over the riches available on the open market, and many Milwaukee fans are already counting down the days to Fielder's inevitable departure.

Not so fast, he said.

"In the end, it's my decision," Fielder said. "But as my agent, he's going to make sure that I have the most information possible about what's going to benefit me and my family. That's what it's about first. My family has to be happy, and then I go from there.

"There's no urgency right now as far as that."

Asked whether he was worried about the fact that fellow star first basemen Albert Pujols, Ryan Howard and Adrian Gonzalez are all lined up to reach free agency at the same time as Fielder, he responded with a smile, "I'm younger than all of them, and I'm pretty good."

Fielder said he won't set a deadline for talks, though he said he "could tell [Boras], 'Beat it,'" at some point if he doesn't want to talk business any more. If the negotiations don't progress, Fielder would earn his $10.5 million in 2010 and be eligible for salary arbitration one more time this winter. If he has a season like the one he enjoyed in '09, when Fielder belted 46 homers and tied for the Major League lead with 141 RBIs, it could be a record-breaking case.

The Brewers took a chance on Fielder in 2002, when they made him the seventh overall pick in the First-Year Player Draft and were skewered by some Draft analysts who were already expressing concern about Fielder's weight. Instead, Fielder charged through Milwaukee's Minor League system and took over first base at Miller Park for good in '06. He set a franchise record 50 home runs in '07, teamed with left fielder Ryan Braun to lead the Brewers to their first postseason appearance in a generation in '08, then set club marks for RBIs and walks in '09.

That history matters, according to Fielder.

"I came up here and I love it here," he said. "My thing is I want to stay here as long as possible. For now, I'm here for two more years anyway. All that other stuff, hopefully, will work out."

His middle-of-the order partner is certainly rooting for a deal. But Braun, who is under club control through 2015, is also a realist.

"He's close enough to free agency that it really doesn't make a lot of sense for him to sign a deal at this point," Braun said. "You have to be [realistic]."

Fielder moved into a new house this winter in Windermere, Fla., the upscale hamlet near Orlando made infamous in recent months because it's also the home of Tiger Woods. With all of the commotion, Fielder has mostly stayed in, playing with young sons Jaden and Haven and staying in shape. Fielder's new home is outfitted with a pool, a gym -- "A little miniature Ballys," he said -- and an indoor batting cage. He's working to maintain his playing weight from last season, "or maybe to get a little better."

"I came up here and I love it here. My thing is I want to stay here as long as possible. For now, I'm here for two more years anyway. All that other stuff, hopefully, will work out."
    -- Prince Fielder
    "I have to work out or I'd be huge," Fielder said. "That's not an option for me. ... I don't want to turn into an obese person, because I can."

He likes the Brewers' offseason moves so far, and Sunday's On Deck event gave Fielder a chance to catch up with newcomers like Randy Wolf, LaTroy Hawkins and Gregg Zaun. His contract could be a major issue swirling around the Brewers as they gather at Maryvale Baseball Park for Spring Training, but Fielder is much more interested to focus on baseball.

"I'm just looking forward to having a better year as far as the team," he said. "Whatever happens after that is cool. As long as we improve, I'm happy."

By the end of the day, the Brewers had drawn 10,638 fans to the all-day event, something of an achievement considering that 237 fewer passed through the turnstiles last year, when the team was coming off a postseason appearance. Proceeds from autographs went to Brewers Charities.

All but three Brewers attended -- Craig Counsell already had a commitment for Sunday before he re-signed with the team, Todd Coffey was stuck in North Carolina by a snowstorm and Carlos Gomez has the flu. The event featured autograph and photo sessions with players and coaches, memorabilia sales, interactive games and a large corner stage that was busy all day. Fans joined the media pool for question and answer sessions with Melvin, assistant general manager Gord Ash, manager Ken Macha, pitching coach Rick Peterson, lefty Doug Davis and alumni Robin Yount, Jim Gantner, Gorman Thomas, Jeff Cirillo and Greg Vaughn.

Not surprisingly given the Brewers' struggles in 2009, pitching was a hot topic among fans. Macha didn't mince words.

"It will all come down to the pitching," Macha said.

Before he met them in person Sunday, Peterson had already reached out to many of the team's pitchers via telephone. Those conversations were mostly about building relationships, Peterson said, though he's also spent time breaking down video and data and jotting down ideas about improvements.

The nuts and bolts discussions will begin in Arizona.

"I want them to understand first that I'm an asset for them," Peterson said. "Right now, I'm doing my homework."

So far, he likes what he sees.

"I think this could be a really special year," Peterson said. "You think about winning 80 games last year and having the worst starting pitching in baseball. If we can make some incremental differences ... I think that we can go into Spring Training with the hope of playing in October."

To the thousands of fans who packed into On Deck, that hope was running strong.

great news there, thanks blonde!
    TBSL manager of the Washington Nationals 2010-present
    Former TSSL manager of the Washington Nationals 2019-2020 163-161 .501
    Former TSSL manager of the Toronto Blue Jays 2018-2019 record- 118-206 % .364
    Former CSSL manager of the San Fransisco giants 42-40 % .512

overall record 323-407 pct: .442

www.youtube.com/packersrock58
    christopher_stone_1@msn.com

AAA ERA

You bet Kid!