Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brewers weathering severe injury bug

Brewers Brewers weathering severe injury bug

On one hand, Monday's split-squad action was good for the Brewers, who need every Spring Training inning they can get to help sort out a spirited pitching competition.

But, with games against both the White Sox in Phoenix and against the Mariners in Peoria on Monday, manager Ned Yost was left scrambling for position players. Left fielder Ryan Braun sat, as expected, because of lingering stiffness in his right Achillies tendon. Not expected was that second baseman Rickie Weeks would be sidelined by a sprained right hand or that shortstop J.J. Hardy would be sent back home early Monday with a bout of the flu.

"I just have to get this split-squad out of the way," Yost said. "You just run out of players."

With the team's only off-day of March looming on Wednesday, Yost planned to rest all three players again on Tuesday and re-evaluate things on Thursday.

Braun has played just once since he was scratched from a game against the Mariners on March 12, and was a late scratch again Sunday. Braun believes a new pair of shoes may be to blame, a pair of Nike Shox metal cleats.

"I guess Nike has had problems with the Shox," said Braun, who had heard that NBA players had stopped wearing the shoe. "It makes sense, because they take so much pressure off your heel and put it on the front of your foot. I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not.

"It's my right Achilles, so it hurts when I try to push off my back leg [while] hitting or running. Better to get it taken care of now than have it lingering later. ... There's no reason to take a chance."

Yost said Weeks hyperextended his fingers sliding into second base during Sunday's win over Seattle, and by Monday morning, the top of Weeks' right hand was obviously swollen. He left Maryvale Baseball Park while the rest of the team took batting practice and was to undergo X-rays at a local hospital.

The tests apparently were negative, because word came before noon that Weeks was diagnosed with a sprain. A club spokesman said that Weeks would miss "a couple of days."
    The Official Site of Major League Baseball: News: Brewers weathering severe injury bug

I hope they get healthy soon.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Brewers weathering severe injury bug

I agree, and appreciate the nice comment Bronx!!!!

Re: Brewers weathering severe injury bug

No problem. Brewers should be a nice team this year.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

They should be in the hunt, their off-season moves and Yost make me VERY nervous. But, we shall see.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

How about the Brewers putting up 17 runs in spring training today. Wow.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Lets just not forget that it is still ST, and lots of minor league pitchers.

But, yeah, 17 runs is still impressive.

AAA ERA

Awww JJ got the flu Icky poo...

Actually watched a game the other day on tv. They looked really good. Joe Dillon had one of his best games that day too.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Gallardo and Hardy are close to returning. That is AWESOME news to my ears!!!

Turn 2

There seems to be a lot of flu floating around the camps these days. I hope the guys can recovery quickly from there icky.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Gallardo better be healthy, I think I've picked him on every single fantasy team I've drafted.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

I am excited to see a full season with Gallardo and Braun on the team. I just hope Yost does NOT screw either of them up this year.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19 View Post
    Gallardo and Hardy are close to returning. That is AWESOME news to my ears!!!
    Yes indeed. Like I said that DL thing is just a precaution. He'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    Gallardo better be healthy, I think I've picked him on every single fantasy team I've drafted.
    I have him this year too!

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Looks as if Cappy is going to be done for the season. That is a blow to the team.

AAA ERA

Well this will be a great way to see how we will function as a team during the bad times.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

I suppose, but I just feel like the Brewers are just not quite there yet (they have a oiece or 2 missing in their arsenal/roster).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast