Thread: Kevin Mench DFA

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Kevin Mench DFA

The Milwaukee Brewers have designated outfielder Kevin Mench for assignment, clearing the way for reliever Salomon Torres to join the 40-man roster, the team announced in a statement this morning.

Mench appeared in 101 games last season with the Brewers, serving primarily in a left-field platoon with Geoff Jenkins. The right-handed batter hit .267 with eight home runs and 37 RBIs.

Torres had told Milwaukee general manager Doug Melvin that he was pondering retirement rather than reporting to the Brewers, who acquired him recently in a trade with Pittsburgh to shore up a bullpen that lost closer Francisco Cordero and set-up man Scott Linebrink to free agency.

Mench made $3.4 million in 2007, the last year of his contract. Milwaukee had the option of re-signing him, offering salary arbitration or releasing him.
    I can't believe nobody would want him...career OPS of .924 vs lefties, would be a perfect platoon player.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Kevin Mench DFA

Someone will definitely pick him up. Teams are just reluctant to trade for him and then have to special order a hat to fit his enormous head. I could see the Royals, Rays, O's and Padres taking a look.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Re: Kevin Mench DFA

I think the Pirates may be another destination as well. Especially if they trade Bay.