Thread: Report: Suppan gets $42M deal from Brewers

AA ERA

Report: Suppan gets $42M deal from Brewers

The MVP of the NL Championship Series agreed to a four-year, $42 million contract with the Milwaukee Brewers, The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported on its Web site.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2707975

Looks as if the Brewers may have gotten their man.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

roflcoptor
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    That's pretty close to the Schmidt signing.

MLB ERA
    Sadly, it's still better than Gil Meche or Jason Marquis.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Unbelievable. I can't say I blame him because similar to what Saber said, him or his agent were stating that he should get a better contract than Meche (or at least similar) due to the better history of results. But still, four years for a guy like Suppan is just terrible, that should rightly help to drive up the price of Sheets for next year. Don't get me wrong, he'll be an upgrade to the rotation but I don't think Jeff Suppan is the missing piece to the Brewers puzzle.

MLB ERA
    That kind of a deal for a guy like Suppan is bad, but to me it's made worse by the fact that it's the Brewers signing him. I guess they think they will be able to compete with the Cardinals next year, and maybe the Cubs with all their signings (although the Cubs always find a way to fall apart).
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

LeagueTeamRecordStandingDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS Wins
    MSLRangers27-111st2731772
    PSLJedi31-448th00000

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Brewers in a long line of teams willing to open the bank and realize its the direction baseball is headed. They catch on early and grab a nice pitcher. Will be even worse if they tried to get someone of Suppan's caliber next season.

The only thing is, 4 years is a little too long IMO.

Other than that, good signing.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    At least Marquis is going to hit the ball as much as he gives up hits.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Destined to mediocrity
    MLB ERA
    Us Orioles fans just lost a potential suitor for Rodrigo Lopez... Now the Cubs and Seattle are potential Lopez dumping gounds. Once Zito signs for a jillion... somebody will take Rodrigo.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Sheets, Capuano and Suppan make a good 1-2-3.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    And Bush and right now Vargus/Villenueva as the #5 at the end. That makes a pretty deep rotation. I am a little cautious about 4-years, but speaking as a Brewers fan. It is just so nice to have an owner at least willing to spend $$$ in the FA market. Suppan will eat innings. He may not look good at times but he battles and gets his team to the 6 or 7th inning in most cases!!! The Cubs have too many ?'s marks for me. The Cards will be there, the Astros, pitching got weaker, but can score runs now, Pirates and Reds are always thons in the Brewer's side. I like the move. He has more wins that Zito the past few years, and that is what it is all about...