Thread: Counsell Signs

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Counsell Signs

Brewers signed infielder Craig Counsell to a two-year contract with a club option for 2009.
    He is a Type B free agent, so the Diamondbacks will pick up a supplemental first-round pick. Counsell, who played for the Brewers in 2004, hit .255/.327/.347 in 372 at-bats last season. It was actually his second best offensive season of the last four. We're guessing his addition means Bill Hall will stay in the outfield even if the Brewers lose an infielder to injury, something that really cuts into his value to the team. The Brewers should still be looking to re-sign Jeff Cirillo, as they could use a right-handed hitter to serve as a complement to Corey Koskie and Prince Fielder. Counsell is nice insurance for J.J. Hardy and Rickie Weeks, but it would be bad news for the Brewers if he received 300 at-bats for a seventh straight year.
    With Weeks' injuries, I can see this as a good signing since he can backup SS and 2B. I do not like Hall going to the OF though.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Counsell is a good backup infielder but MLB gave the Dbacks a gift with a first round supplemental pick.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I thought he was a type B free agent. Didn't think they gave draft picks for those.

They give picks for A, B, and C from what the agreement was before (I think it still is). Just lower rounds
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Huh, I thought I read that the Cards didn't have to give a pick o the Angels since Kennedy was a Type B free agent.
    And they're not even losing a draft pick, as Kennedy was a Type B free agent.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    The Cardinals don't lose a draft pick but MLB awards a supplemental/ compensation pick to the Angels. Supplemental picks are sandwiched between rounds.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I gotcha now. Gracias amigo.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

I like Counsell, but I would have liked Graff back. He has a little more power, but other than that, they are basically the same player. Go get'em Brewers!