Thread: Capuano is at Glavine quality?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Capuano is at Glavine quality?

Milwaukee Brewers left-hander Chris Capuano, who already had a pretty good changeup, discovered a better one by accident a few starts back.
    Chalk one up for serendipity.
    "When I throw from the stretch, I don't always get the same grip," said Capuano, who was honored Monday as the National League player of the week. "I accidentally gripped the ball a certain way two games ago and the ball really went down and away from right-handers.
    "I've been recreating that grip. Finding a new way to hold it definitely helped."
    Armed with that new-and-improved changeup, Capuano turned in the best performance of his career Sunday in Chicago, blanking the Cubs, 9-0, on five hits for his first complete game and first shutout. He issued no walks and struck out six to boost his record to 4-2 with a 2.36 earned run average.
    Combined with his previous start, Capuano was 2-0 with a 0.56 ERA last week, resulting in his first NL honor. He was the first Brewers pitcher to win the award since Ben Sheets in May 2004.
    "It's a great honor," said Capuano, who was informed of the award by manager Ned Yost when he arrived at Miller Park. "I like to break down my season by months. I had a good first month. There's five more to go."
    Capuano had a breakthrough 2005 season, going 18-12 with a 3.99 ERA. Some of his success was attributable to nice run support but he has elevated his game this year, turning in quality starts (at least six innings, no more than three earned runs) in each of his six appearances.
    "He works at it. That's the key to his growth," Yost said. "His command has been as good as I've seen it over an extended period."
    Asked if Capuano could emerge among the elite pitchers in the league, Yost said, "If he continues doing what he's doing now, I'd say absolutely.
    "If he continues what he's doing now, he moves into the (Tom) Glavine-type status. He has made that kind of adjustment."
    If Capuano remains healthy and continues on his current path, he is headed for a big payday after the season. He will be eligible for salary arbitration for the first time and would command a huge raise from his current $450,000 salary.
    General manager Doug Melvin said he had not begun making plans to offer Capuano a contract extension during the season but said: "That's a possibility. We haven't really addressed it."
    "The whole thing is staying healthy," Melvin added. "He had some injuries a couple of years ago but is becoming a guy you can pretty well count on. You can't ask for too much more than what he's doing."
    Melvin and Yost figure that Capuano, 27, is a keeper because he works hard, has a desire to improve, is focused and is a competitor in the field. In short, he's the complete package of what you look for in a pitcher.
    Another impressive part of Capuano's game has been his walk-strikeout ratio of 9-to-40. In fact, the 40 strikeouts lead the league, which Capuano says won't last much longer.
    "Look at Benny's numbers," said Capuano, referring to Sheets. "He's got 25 strikeouts in 18 innings (since coming off the disabled list). It won't be long before he catches up. I'm enjoying it while it lasts."
    http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=420111

This guy has been nasty. Just another part of the Brewers tremendous success this season. But should he be compared to Glavine already?

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I believe he throws harder than Glavine so I don't know if that comparison is accurate.

MLB ERA
    Until umps start giving him strikes half a foot off the plate, he is no Tom Glavine.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, but can he hit the long ball, cause chicks dig the long ball

In order for him to be in the Glavine category, he needs to leave a great team to go to a not so good team and then promptly suck for said team.
    rf28