Thread: Talk of getting Greg Maddux?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Talk of getting Greg Maddux?

There has been talk he'll slip up the interstate highway to sign with the improved Milwaukee Brewers, who have a new owner who spends bucks and a pitching coach who happens to be Mike Maddux, Greg's older brother.
    http://www.suntimes.com/output/mario...spt-jay13.html

This is interesting. Even though it was more or less shot down in this article, it would put the Brewers over the top. Maddux is insane this year and he would improve this rotation greatly.

Well do they really need another SP? They just got Sheets back. Davis is alright, he could be pitching better. Ohka and Capuano have been pitching good. Dave Bush, heh.

I could see Maddux coming if Brewers got him cheap, but I doubt Cubs would give up Maddux.

MLB ERA
    The Brewers need to prepare for the 2007 playoffs, not 2006.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Here is a question for all you Cubs fans. Has Maddux ever been on the DL?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    more on this:

If life imitates cinema, then Greg Maddux is Eddie Harris. In "Major League,'' Harris was the creaky pitcher who somehow got by, usually on pure guile though sometimes by rubbing Crisco, Vagisil or fresh snot on the ball. That would be the major difference between them -- there's no reason, despite the voiced suspicions of Mark Buehrle, to think Maddux goos up the baseball.

The man doesn't have to, after all. When need be, he's still the master, even if circles are darkening under his eyes, his chest is sort of shaped like a beer keg and his uniform doesn't exactly form-fit as well as Derrek Lee's.

On the eve of his 40th birthday, normally a time for old ballplayers to mow the grass or enter a broadcast booth, Maddux owns a 2-0 record and 1.46 ERA. It's as important a development as it is surprising, in that the Cubs desperately require solid, consistent results from their future Hall of Famer if they hope to overcome the misfits, kids and celebrated disabled-listers involved in a disheveled starting rotation. No one knew if he had anything left but fumes after last year, when he left gopher balls hanging over the plate and recorded his first losing season and worst ERA since he was a baby-faced rookie in 1987. I privately hoped he'd retire, so Cubdom could avoid the misery of his final season.

Turns out we could be watching one of the rousing baseball stories of 2006. Spinning and twirling his pitches at various mph clockings, Maddux has been magnificent in two outings at Wrigley Field, an artist who isn't ready to give up the game he loves while seeking a dream that many Cubs fans have abandoned. Ask him why he's still pitching into his 40s -- after 19 seasons, 320 victories, 3,060 strikeouts and 4,4182/3innings -- and his pitch is slipping by you and painting the black before you can blink.

"I'd like to get a ring here in Chicago,'' he said. "That's it. That's why I'm playing. Everyone has their reasons to play. I enjoy the game, the competition. I enjoy the city so much. I'd love to do whatever I can do to help this team win.''

Appearances might suggest otherwise, but the secret to Maddux's quick start is his fitness. For the first time, he hired a personal trainer in the offseason to help with his endurance and energy. The old-school hurler downplays the significance of better health, of course, saying, "It's not how you work out. It's how you pitch.'' But even if it's more a matter of better location than reduced body fat, and even if he's making his regular rounds at Gold Coast steakhouses, something is refreshingly different about him. Old Man Maddux is back to being Mad Dog, it seems.
    http://www.suntimes.com/output/mario...spt-jay13.html

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    From the looks of it and from that quote in that article I believe you LTR. Its not likely to happen whatsoever but it made for interesting thinking.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Well Maddux is going to be throwing against these Brewers tonight. Lets see how much these Brewers pay attention to him tonight.