Thread: Loria: Marlins' talks about San Antonio move 'serious'

AA ERA

Marlins Loria: Marlins' talks about San Antonio move 'serious'

HOUSTON -- Florida Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria said Sunday that discussions with San Antonio officials about the possibility of relocating the team there are serious.

San Antonio has been trying to lure the team and county officials have offered to put up $200 million toward an estimated $300 million ballpark if voters approve extending a tax on hotel and car rentals.

The Marlins slashed their payroll to about $15 million in the offseason because of poor attendance and no progress in Loria's bid for a baseball-specific stadium. Florida plays at Dolphins Stadium, home of Miami's NFL team.

"We're still looking at all our options, but our talks in San Antonio are serious," Loria said on Sunday at Minute Maid Park before addressing his team.

Loria said several officials from San Antonio would join him on Monday when the Marlins open the season against the Houston Astros.

"I've invited them to join us to learn more about San Antonio," he said.

He remained evasive when asked whether he has any hope the Marlins can remain in South Florida, but said no negotiations are ongoing there.

"I really don't know how to answer that," he said. "I can only tell you at this moment that there's nothing going on in South Florida."

Loria doesn't think the relocation issue will be a distraction to his team this season.

"That will get settled one way or another," he said.
    Loria has repeatedly said that the Marlins' would prefer to remain in South Florida, but he was less adamant about the issue on Sunday. He has said they will not remain in Dolphins Stadium past 2010.

"We're going to look at all options there and we're also going to look at some other cities," he said.

The tax proposal that Bexar County, where San Antonio is located, has offered would ask voters to extend a hotel and car rental tax approved in 1999 by 20 to 30 years to fund the stadium.

The vote could come as early as the November elections.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2394322
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    either way, it certainly looks like they want to move the Marlins out of Florida...just don't go to Vegas because that's where the A's will end up

Rookie ERA
    They aint goin no where! im from florida and personally know jeff loria he said we are called the florida marlins and thats where we'll stay!

Good. Florida doesn't deserve a team.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Rookie ERA
    last time i saw they are ahead of the braves

And nobody's coming to see their games. Thanks for making my point.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Rookie ERA
    yea i know thats the sad part i went to every game in 2003 and every single season game was either 20,000 or less then when i went to the world series 68,000.
    people in miami are only intrested in big games and half of them dont even knoe what a 4-6-3 DP is!
    it really annoys me!

MLB ERA
    Miami is a basketball/football town. Baseball is the odd man out.