Thread: Chris Volstad

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Marlins Chris Volstad

I watched him pitch last night and this guy has one of the nastiest curve balls in the game today. He was hitting 91-92 mph consistently with his fastball but with that long body of his it seems like 94-95 and he has a bowling ball of a curveball. Volstad is a 6'7" righty who was drafted out of high school in 2005 and has made the fast track to the Marlins pitching staff. This kid is for real as is the Marlins pitching. He is a definite player to watch.

MLB ERA

Re: Chris Volstad

Volstad is a beast. I feel like a genius for drafting him in almost every league I'm in. I couldn't ignore his 2.88 ERA in 13 starts last year.

He's going to be nasty
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

He's a lot like Clay Buchholz, similar deliveries. Both guys drop down to their left side after their delivery with the weight on the left foot.

Volstad yesterday: Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | FLA@ATL: Volstad throws seven strong innings - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

Buchholz: Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | Buchholz strikes out seven Mariners - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Yeah, they are really similar DK. I think Volstad is a bit more relaxed in his delivery, but other than that, pretty close. Volstad having 6 BB's already in 12 IP is a bit concerning to me, but I haven't watched his games so I figure it might be more due to going at (and missing) the corners on 0-2/1-2/etc counts than erratic control.

Great start to the season for him though.

MLB ERA

Volstad is a very impressive prospect. I saw him last year, and he really impressed me. Guy's got a great curve, and a pretty good fastball. Watch out for this guy for years to come.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yeah, they are really similar DK. I think Volstad is a bit more relaxed in his delivery, but other than that, pretty close. Volstad having 6 BB's already in 12 IP is a bit concerning to me, but I haven't watched his games so I figure it might be more due to going at (and missing) the corners on 0-2/1-2/etc counts than erratic control.

Great start to the season for him though.
    You're right in being concerned about his walks because sometimes he falls behind and can't get that curve in there for a strike.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Win today.
    Kid looks great.
    Cy Young.

MLB ERA

Too bad he didn't actually get the win today cuz the Marlins had their 3rd straight come from behind win in their last at bat
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

He didn't have his best stuff today and walked five but still didn't look terrible either.