Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Random Marlins Notes

MLB ERA

Re: Random Marlins Notes

News from the 2nd of June.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotoWorld
    Sergio Mitre was able to complete his between-starts bullpen session on Friday, but he remains questionable for Monday's game against Atlanta.
    ''Pushing off, that's not a problem,'' Mitre said. ``I just can't run.'' Rick Vanden Hurk, Pual Mildren and Jesus Delgado are candidates to make the start if Mitre is unable to.

Jeremy Hermida is in a 6-for-46 slump after going hitless versus the Brewers on Saturday.
    He's due for a day off. Hermida played very well in his first week back from the disabled list, but he's ice cold now and it might make sense to sit him and play Joe Borchard against Ben Sheets on Sunday.

Kevin Gregg recorded his seventh save by pitching the ninth in the Marlins' 5-2 win over the Brewers on Saturday.
    Armando Benitez set him up with a scoreless eighth before Gregg retired three of the four batters he faced in the ninth. Matt Lindstrom got the win after recording the final out of the seventh.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA

News from the 3rd of June.
    Scott Olsen received a stern lecture from manager Fredi Gonzalez and pitching coach Rick Kranitz, and was fined an undisclosed amount for making an obscene gesture to fans at Miller Park on Friday.
    Olsen angrily threw his glove in the dugout at the conclusion of the fourth and fifth innings. When he was taken out in the sixth, Olsen raised his left middle finger at a group of fans. "We talked to him, we took care of it," Gonzalez said.

Sergio Mitre is still undecided about whether he would start Monday in Atlanta.
    Mitre tested his injured right hamstring Saturday by performing wind sprints and making cutting actions to simulate covering first base. If Mitre can't go, the Marlins will need to call up a starter from the minors to take his spot.

Carlos Martinez pitched a perfect inning Saturday in his first rehab appearance for Single-A Jupiter.
    Martinez, coming back from Tommy John surgery, might rejoin the Marlins in two or three weeks, depending on how he performs. The club could decide to option him to Triple-A if it doesn't believe he'll be able to help right away.

Dontrelle Willis was the hard-luck loser against the Brewers on Sunday after giving up just two runs in six innings of work.
    Willis gave up seven hits and walked six without striking out a batter, so he was extremely lucky to have given up just a pair of runs. Double play balls in the first and third certainly helped the cause, but Willis being able to constantly pitch out of jams is a skill he's displayed before. He'll get the Devil Rays next time out.

The Marlins confirmed that Sergio Mitre would be pushed back in the rotation because of his sore right hamstring.
    Wes Obermueller will pitch Monday in his place. The current plan is for Mitre to go Tuesday, but that could change.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA

News from the 4th of June.
    Rick Vanden Hurk is expected to be called up to start the second game of Tuesday's doubleheader with the Braves.
    Vanden Hurk had a 12.75 ERA in three starts and a relief appearance for the Marlins before being sent down in April. He isn't worth using in any fantasy league.

Josh Johnson (elbow) gave up one earned run on six hits during a five inning rehab start with Single-A Jupiter on Sunday.
    Johnson, who struck out seven in the outing, is expected to need at least two more minor league rehab starts before he will be ready to come off the disabled list.

Despite allowing his first earned run since May 9, Kevin Gregg picked up his eighth save in eight opportunities Monday against the Braves.
    Gregg had a three-run lead to work with. Edgar Renteria homered with two outs to bring the Braves within two. Brian McCann then hit another hard flyball, but left fielder Reggie Abercrombie was able to catch it on the warning track. At 28-30, the Marlins are now back within two games of .500.

Sergio Mitre will start the first game of Tuesday's doubleheader after being pushed back a day because of a sore hamstring.
    Rick Vandern Hurk will be called up to start the second game. The Marlins might make an additional roster move for a reliever if Mitre can't work deep into the first game.
    Two Braves games in one day and I get to watch both of them. Hopefully will be a good day with two wins for the Braves.

MLB ERA

News from the 1st of August.
    Miguel Cabrera had a perfect night at the plate, leading Florida past Colorado 4-3 on Wednesday.
    He singled, doubled, homered and walked, scoring twice. In 104 games, he's batting .341 and has scored 66 runs, driven in 74, smacked 29 doubles and 26 homers, the latter of which matches his 2006 season total.

MLB ERA

News from the 2nd of August.
    The Marlins have signed former Blue Jay catcher Jason Phillips and assigned him to Triple-A Albuquerque.
    Phillips appeared in 55 games for the Toronto this season, hitting .208 with a homer and 12 RBI.

The Marlins announced Thursday that RHP Josh Johnson will undergo season-ending elbow surgery.
    It's unknown yet if Johnson will undergo Tommy John surgery or another procedure, but the former would knock him out for most of 2008. "He is going to undergo surgery," manager Fredi Gonzalez said. "I haven't heard what kind of surgery is it." Johnson, who finished fourth in last year's Rookie of the Year balloting, began experiencing arm problems last September and went 0-3 with a 7.47 ERA this season after beginning the year on the disabled list.

Renyel Pinto left Thursday's game against the Rockies with an apparent shoulder strain.
    Pinto entered the game with runners on first and third with one out in the fifth inning. The left-hander struck out Kaz Matsui but was then removed after bending down and touching his toes revealed more pain. He'll be re-evaluated on Friday.

Dan Uggla hit a two-run homer off Rockies starter Jason Hirsh in the first inning of a 4-3 loss to the Rockies on Thursday.
    Josh Willingham later added a solo shot off Hirsh, but the two homers accounted for the Marlins' only runs of the game. For Uggla it was his 22nd homer and 68th RBI.

MLB ERA

News from the 3rd of August.
    Ricky Nolasco (elbow) pitched two innings for the Rookie GCL Marlins on Tuesday.
    Nolasco threw 24 pitches in the outing. The Marlins are expected to activate Nolasco from the disabled list next week and use him out of the bullpen while he regains arm strength.

The Marlins plan to keep Rick VandenHurk in the rotation for now.
    ''The plan is for Vandy to be in the rotation,'' manager Fredi Gonzalez said. ``He's here and we have to keep an eye on him. I think he's fine and has handled the whole thing up here pretty good. He has some mound presence and some composure.''

Marlins placed LHP Renyel Pinto on the 15-day disabled list with a left shoulder strain.
    Pinto suffered the injury Thursday and had to leave the game. Carlos Martinez was called up from Triple-A to take his place on the roster.

Marlins recalled RHP Carlos Martinez from Double-A Carolina.
    He moves into the bullpen in place of Renyel Pinto, who went on the disabled list with a shoulder injury. With a good showing, Martinez could stick around for the stretch run.

Dontrelle Willis turned in a Quality Start with three runs over 6 1/3 innings Friday against the Astros, but lost his eighth straight start.
    Willis pitched well, striking out five and walking just one, but Roy Oswalt pitched better and the Marlins' bullpen turned it into a blowout late. He totaled just 86 pitches and would have worked deeper into the game, but a 30-minute rain delay changed those plans. Willis hasn't won since May 29, a span of a dozen starts.

MLB ERA

News from the 4th of August.
    Josh Johnson underwent season-ending Tommy John surgery on Friday.
    Johnson will miss most, if not all, of the 2008 season due to the surgery.

Hanley Ramirez homered to lead off the game and wound up driving in three runs as Florida outlasted Houston 6-5 in 12 innings on Saturday.
    Ramirez was 2-for-6 overall and his two-run single in the second gave Florida an early 3-1 lead. Ramirez has done a superb job making better contact this season, having fanned just 69 times in 104 games. Miguel Cabrera wound up scoring the winning run on a wild pitch.

MLB ERA

News from the 5th of August.
    Marlins purchased the contract of RHP Mauro Zarate from Triple-A Albuquerque.
    He replaces Byung-Hyun Kim on Florida's pitching staff and will work out of the bullpen. The 24-year-old had a 1.66 ERA at three levels in the minors this year.

Manager Fredi Gonzalez acknowledged that Josh Johnson, who had surgery Tommy John surgery Friday to repair ligament damage in his elbow, would miss all of next season.
    "With Tommy John [surgery], it's 12 to 16 months," Gonzalez said. ``You're looking at spring training 2009. "You see guys come back and pitch better. I think he'll be OK."

Miguel Cabrera left Sunday's game against the Astros after being hit on the left elbow with a pitch from Matt Albers in the third inning.
    The ball hit Cabrera on his elbow armor, but he displayed signs of pain before eventually walking down to first base. However, Cabrera then didn't come out to play defense after the inning was over. He's day-to-day.

Hanley Ramirez hit a solo homer against the Astros on Sunday to bring his season total to 19.
    Ramirez also walked and stole his 32nd base of the season. Since teammate Miguel Cabrera went 0-for-1 before departing with an injury, Ramirez retains his the National League with a .341 batting average. Since he's also already surpassed last year's total in homers and is about to do the same in RBI, Ramirez is improving considerably during a stellar sophomore season.

Scott Olsen earned his ninth win of the season after limiting the Astros to three runs in 7 1/3 innings of work.
    Olsen struck out eight and walked just one batter while winning for the first time since being arrested for driving under the influence. Maybe it's the start of the young left-hander turning things around, but he's much more likely to remain inconsistent. The talent is certainly there for him to take it to the next level eventually. He'll get the Mets next time out and is only a mediocre option in NL-only formats.

Miguel Cabrera, who was removed from Sunday's game against the Astros after being hit on the elbow with a pitch, will be in the starting lineup on Tuesday, according to manager Fredi Gonzalez.
    Cabrera left the game in the third inning, but Gonzalez says he's fine and both parties agree that he'll be ready to play when the Marlins open a three-game series against the Phillies on Tuesday.

MLB ERA

News from the 6th of August.
    Josh Willingham is expected to return to the starting lineup Tuesday after missing Sunday's game due to kidney stones.
    ''I was in so much pain, I was curled up like a ball, and they had to give me morphine for the pain,'' Willingham said. ``I was in the hospital until about 2 a.m. and then came home.'' Willingham left Saturday's game in the ninth inning when the pain became unbearable.

MLB ERA

News from the 7th of August.
    Miguel Cabrera, who left Sunday's game after being hit on the elbow with a pitch, was back in the starting lineup on Tuesday.
    Manager Fredi Gonzalez quickly assured the press that Cabrera would be back in the lineup after the injury on Sunday, and the third basemen indeed started. He went 0-for-3 with a walk in the contest.

Rick Vanden Hurk was hit hard for six runs in just 2 1/3 innings against the Phillines tonight.
    In addition to giving up five hits, Vanden Hurk struggled with his command and issued five free passes. The right-hander has the fastball to succeed down the line and will mix in the occasional quality start, but it's pretty clear he's not ready for the majors just yet. Manager Fredi Gonzalez backed the rookie just last week, but today's outing could test the club's patience.

Josh Willingham had another episode with a kidney stone after arriving in Philadelphia and was held out of the lineup on Tuesday.
    Todd Linden replaced him in left field.

MLB ERA

News from the 8th of August.
    Marlins activated RHP Logan Kensing from the 60-day disabled list and optioned him to Triple-A Albuquerque.
    Kensing is coming back from Tommy John surgery and also underwent hernia surgery in June. He could return to the Marlins' bullpen in September.

Marlins designated OF Joe Borchard for assignment.
    A former first-round pick of the White Sox who received a massive bonus to pass up a potential football career, Borchard has been a huge bust as a pro. He batted just .196 in 179 at-bats this season, giving him a .205 batting average and 636 OPS in 301 career games.

Marlins activated OF Alejandro De Aza from the 60-day disabled list.
    The 23-year-old De Aza surprisingly won the Marlins' starting job in center field coming out of spring training, but went down with a fractured ankle in mid-April. With only Alfredo Amezaga to beat out for playing time, De Aza could be starting again almost immediately.

Dontrelle Willis lost again Wednesday, running his winless streak to 13 starts and his losing skid to a career-worst nine straight setbacks.
    Since his last victory on May 29, he's also recorded four no-decisions, but the Marlins are just 3-10 when he starts. This is turning into a disastrous season for the D-Train, who now has a dozen losses. After getting ripped for nine hits and five runs -- four earned -- in 5 1/3 innings, his ERA is again scraping the 5.00 mark. While Willis helped himself with the stick, hitting a two-run homer, his first of the year and seventh career dinger, he was wild with his arm. He walked three -- one intentionally -- hit two, had two throwing errors and one wild pitch.

Marlins optioned RHP Carlos Martinez to Triple-A Albuquerque.
    Martinez didn't look good in his two games since returning to the Marlins, but he'll be worthy of a longer look at some point.

MLB ERA

News from the 9th of August.
    Sergio Mitre held the Phillies to two runs in six innings but wasn't involved in the decision on Thursday.
    Mitre struck out five and walked two. The quality start was his first in his last four outings and lowered his ERA to 3.64. He'll get the Diamondbacks next time out.

Josh Willingham, who had been out since Monday due to a kidney stone, returned to the starting lineup on Thursday and went 1-for-4 with a homer and two RBI in a 4-2 win over the Phillies.
    Willingham grounded into a fielder's choice for an RBI in the fourth, then added a solo homer in the sixth. Tied at 2-2 to start the ninth, Phillies closer Brett Myers entered and allowed two runs on a walk, two singles, and two groundouts that drove in runs. Taylor Tankersley picked up the win in relief while Kevin Gregg notched his 24th save.

MLB ERA

News from the 10th of August.
    Marlins purchased the contract of RHP Ross Wolf from Triple-A Albuquerque.
    Wolf managed a very impressive 2.82 ERA in a great environment for hitters, but that came with just 22 strikeouts in 44 2/3 innings. The 24-year-old is a long shot to have a lengthy career in the pen, though he is worth trying.

Marlins optioned RHP Mauro Zarate to Triple-A Albuquerque.
    Zarate made just one appearance after being called up, allowing two earned runs in 1 1/3 innings on Tuesday. He'll have more chances, but he might not fit into Florida's long-term plans.

Marlins purchased the contract of RHP Daniel Barone from Triple-A Albuquerque.
    Barone, the replacement in the rotation for Byung-Hyun Kim, will make his major league debut Friday after going 8-3 with a 3.96 ERA, 128 H and 91/32 K/BB in 136 1/3 innings between Double- and Triple-A. He figures to have difficulty sticking in the rotation long-term.

Marlins sent outfielder Joe Borchard outright to Triple-A Albuquerque.
    No one was interested in trying Borchard's power bat. It doesn't look like he'll ever be a useful reserve.

In his major league debut, Daniel Barone gave up three runs -- two earned -- in 4 2/3 innings Friday against the Mets.
    All three runs scored on Carlos Beltran's homer. Barone was in line for the loss until the Marlins came back in the ninth, leaving him with a no-decision. He was decent enough tonight to earn himself another start, but it's doubtful he'll be of use in fantasy leagues.

Hanley Ramirez delivered a go-ahead two-run double in the top of the ninth to hand Billy Wagner just his second blown save in the Marlins' 4-3 win over the Mets on Friday.
    But they keep telling us that Jose Reyes is the most exciting player in baseball. Ramirez went to Reyes' home and showed the media a thing or two tonight. The 23-year-old also singled, walked and stole three bases in the contest. He's tops in the NL with a .342 average.

MLB ERA

News from the 11th of August.
    Mike Jacons is 2-for-34 this month after going hitless Saturday against the Mets.
    One could ask what Jacobs is doing starting against a lefty when he's in such an awful slump, but he's actually been far better in limited action versus southpaws this year. His OPS against righties is under 650. Jacobs clearly needs to take a step forward the rest of the way if he wants to be penciled in as the Marlins' first baseman next year. The club would likely benefit from shifting Miguel Cabrera to the position.

Josh Willingham hit a go-ahead grand slam in the seventh to help the Marlins beat the Mets 7-5 on Saturday.
    Willingham also had two singles in the contest, one of them driving in a run. He matched his career high with the five RBI. Willingham also drove in five runs in the Marlins' 5-2 victory over the Mets on May 1.

MLB ERA

News from the 12th of August.
    Jeremy Hermida is being held out of the starting lineup versus a second straight left-hander on Sunday.
    An unfortunate consequence of Alejandro De Aza's return, it seems. With De Aza acting as the full-time center fielder, Cody Ross is now starting in right field against left-handers. Hermida has actually been just as good versus lefties as against righties this year, posting an 805 OPS, but that pales in comparison to what Ross has done in limited action.

Rick Vanden Hurk took a no-decision against the Mets on Sunday after giving up four runs in five innings of work.
    Vanden Hurk gave up just three hits and he did strike out six. However, two of those three hits were homers to Moises Alou and Jose Reyes, plating all four of the runs the Mets scored on the rookie. The outing wasn't a particularly strong one, but it was decent enough to allow the right-hander to remain in the rotation for now.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast