Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Marlins Notes

MLB ERA
    Jeremy Hermida struck out all three times he was up Wednesday night and is 0-for-14 so far this spring.
    Hermida's starting job is fairly secure despite his struggles last year, but he probably can't afford to hit below the Mendoza Line this spring. Joe Borchard and Cody Ross are the Marlins' alternatives in right field.
    Source: RotoWorld
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Sergio Mitre's (shoulder) spring debut has reportedly been pushed back to Saturday.
    If healthy, Mitre has an excellent chance of claiming the fifth-starter job with Josh Johnson out.

Henry Owens pitched his third and fourth scoreless innings of the spring Thursday night against the Dodgers.
    Owens is one of the possibilities to close for Florida, and he's done nothing so far to hurt his chances. Only Kevin Gregg is clearly ahead of him in line, and Gregg hardly resembles a sure thing.

Anibal Sanchez gave up just one hit -- a Nomar Garciaparra solo homer -- over three innings Thursday night in the Marlins' victory over the Dodgers.
    Sanchez retired the other nine hitters he faced, striking out two of him. He had shoulder problems prior to the start of camp and he walked four in 1 1/3 innings in his first start five days ago, so he needed an outing like this.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Marlins reassigned RHP Travis Bowyer, C Chris Ashby, RHP Jacob Marceaux, RHP Ryan Tucker, LHP Sean West and LHP Aaron Thompson to minor league camp.
    A healthy Bowyer would have contended for a bullpen spot, but he appears set to miss a second straight season after undergoing shoulder surgery in August.

Renyel Pinto gave up two runs in 1 2/3 innings Friday against the Cardinals and has a 15.00 ERA through three appearances.
    He's given up eight hits, walked six and hit three batters in three innings. Pinto had some major command problems for a time in 2005, but he bounced back well last year and is being counted on to aid the Florida bullpen this season. Since he's out of options, his roster spot should remain secure unless he's terrible all month.

Jose Garcia is sidelined because of elbow inflammation and isn't scheduled to resume throwing off a mound for several days.
    Garcia entered camp as a long shot to win a rotation spot, but he's also an option to pitch out of the bullpen. Now it's more likely that he'll return to the minors. He was reportedly throwing just 84-87 mph in his lone appearance of the spring.

MLB.com believes Matt Lindstrom has gained an edge in the competition to become the Marlins' closer.
    Says the same Marlins writer who claimed Kevin Gregg was the favorite entering camp. Lindstrom has allowed one run and has a 1/2 K/BB ratio in 3 1/3 innings this spring. He's the hardest thrower in the pen, and there's a chance he's ready to pitch effectively for an inning at a time. The Marlins, though, have no sure things in their pen right now.

Taylor Tankersly, who is out because of tendinitis is his pitching shoulder, is scheduled to throw off flat ground Saturday.
    The southpaw has been shut down the past week, but still remains the leading candidate for the Marlins closer position.

Jose Garcia is scheduled for light throwing Monday to test his swollen right elbow, but isn't feeling to optimistic about it.
    Garcia felt discomfort after pitching two innings in a March 2 game against Baltimore, then couldn't complete a bullpen session two days later. He has been shut down since and an MRI revealed some inflammation. "I felt something, but just a little," Garcia said. "I stretched out good and felt warm. During the game everything was fine, but maybe I exerted myself a little too much."

Dan Uggla doubled twice and drove in four runs Saturday to lead the Marlins to an 8-5 win over the Dodgers.
    Uggla entered the day 2-for-17. The Marlins could have considered dropping him down to more of an RBI spot this year, but he's again expected to bat second behind Hanley Ramirez. It worked well enough last season.

Ricky Nolasco, who missed his last start with back spasms, surrendered one run over 2 2/3 innings Saturday against the Dodgers.
    "The back feels fine," he said. "For a couple of days it was lingering but with all the treatment and resting and being careful with it, it went away." Nolasco is in line to act as the Marlins' No. 4 starter.

MLB ERA
    Robert Andino got the worse of a collision with Alfredo Amezaga in Saturday's game, getting taken off the field on a cart with a back injury.
    Andino felt better after the game and is day-to-day. Amezaga remained in the contest initially before later complaining of a stiff neck. Both should be fine.

Throwing for the first time in 12 days, Taylor Tankersley played catch on flat ground Saturday.
    "It was pain-free and felt normal -- as normal as you can feel after 12 days off," Tankersley said. "Opening Day is a real possibility if I keep progressing this way. If there's any setbacks, it will be tough." Tankersley, though, doesn't figure to have much chance of closing games right away. "Realistically, he's probably not, because he's going to be behind, inning-wise," pitching coach Rick Kranitz said. "We just want him pitching the seventh, eighth or ninth. We want him back and healthy."

MLB ERA
    News from the 11th of March.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotoWorld
    Chris Volstad was hit by a line drive by Andre Ethier in Saturday's game and left because of a bruised right hip.
    Volstad exited the game, but he was already at his pitch count after completing three innings. The Marlins already have told Volstad he will be reassigned to minor league camp Monday. He will begin the season at Single-A Jupiter.

Pitching against his original organization, Yusmeiro Petit gave up three runs in 2 2/3 innings Sunday versus the Mets.
    Carlos Beltran and David Wright homered to account for all three runs. Petit has an 8/0 K/BB ratio in 7 2/3 innings, but because he's given up three homers and 12 hits, he has a 7.04 ERA. His chances of becoming the Marlins' fifth starter have diminished with Sergio Mitre making a strong return today.

Sergio Mirte threw two scoreless innings Sunday against the Mets in his spring debut.
    Mitre is still behind after struggling to overcome his shoulder problems, but his successful return today puts him in the mix to become the Marlins' fifth starter at the beginning of the year. He allowed one hit, walked one and struck out two.

Marlins reassigned RHP Chris Volstad, C Brad Davis and OF Brett Carroll to Minor League camp.
    Volstad, the 16th overall pick in the 2005 draft, is likely to spend most of the season at Single-A Jupiter.

MLB ERA
    News from the 12th of March.
    Reggie Abercrombie went 0-for-3 on Monday and is batting .167 this spring.
    He stole second base in the game only to get picked off by Boof Bonser. Abercrombie is 3-for-18 with five strikeouts this spring, but that hasn't put him into too much of a hole. Alex Sanchez is 4-for-22 and Eric Reed is 6-for-19 with no extra-base hits. The three have combined for one walk, that belonging to Reed. Alejandro De Aza has been more impressive than any of them, but he probably isn't an option just yet. The Marlins may have to keep looking elsewhere for center field help.

Matt Lindstrom threw two scoreless innings Monday versus the Twins.
    Lindstrom has allowed just one run and four hits in 5 1/3 innings. However, despite working at 97-98 mph, he has struck out only two batters. He needs to do more than just bring the heat if he's going to emerge as Florida's closer.

Dontrelle Willis was tagged for six runs and nine hits in three innings by the Twins on Monday.
    Willis had allowed one run in five innings through two starts. He gave up seven singles and two doubles today and didn't walk anyone, so it doesn't sound like it was an outing worth worrying about.

MLB ERA
    News from the 13th of March.
    Manager Fredi Gonzalez said Monday that Taylor Tankersley (shoulder) could be ready for Opening Day.
    ''We were shooting to get him seven, eight innings in spring training,'' Gonzalez said. ``I think he can still get it.'' Gonzalez also said that Tankersley remains a candidate for the closer job, but likely won't be asked to pitch in back-to-back games initially.

Eric Reed went 2-for-3 with a double Tuesday against the Orioles.
    The extra-base hit was his first, but he's batting .364 in 22 at-bats, giving him a clear offensive edge over Alex Sanchez and Reggie Abercrombie. He's also the best defender of the trio, so perhaps he'll enter the year as a regular unless the Marlins can acquire an upgrade.

Kevin Gregg threw two hitless innings Tuesday versus the Orioles.
    Gregg has allowed three runs -- two earned -- and eight hits in 7 1/3 innings to stay in the middle of the battle to take over as the Marlins' closer. His experience could give him an edge if he finishes the month strong.

Anibal Sanchez shut out the Orioles for four innings to win Tuesday for the first time this spring.
    He allowed one hit for the second straight start. He's also walked just one batter in seven innings since issuing four free passes in 1 1/3 innings in his spring debut 10 days ago.

MLB ERA
    News from the 14th of March.
    Marlins optioned OF Reggie Abercrombie to Triple-A Albuquerque; reassigned RHP Gaby Hernandez and C Brett Hayes to Minor League camp.
    Abercrombie, who entered camp in a battle with Alex Sanchez and Eric Reed to become the Marlins' center fielder, gets cut even before extreme long shot Alejandro De Aza. Abercrombie actually spent all of last season in the majors, though he got only 51 at-bats after the All-Star break. It's unlikely that the toolsy 26-year-old will ever establish himself as a quality option as a regular or a backup.

Hanley Ramirez went 0-for-3 on Wednesday, leaving his average at .152 in 33 at-bats.
    Ramirez says it's not the strained left shoulder he suffered in winter ball that's caused his slow start. Instead, it's not being allowed to return to playing in the Dominican Winter League after the injury healed that he believes is responsible. He'll likely continue getting extra at-bats to make up for the lack of activity over the winter.

Scott Olsen shut out the Orioles for five innings to win on Wednesday.
    It seemed likely that Olsen would move up in the rotation with Josh Johnson sidelined to begin the season, but the plan now seems to be for Anibal Sanchez to be the No. 2 starter behind Dontrelle Willis, mainly because the Marlins want to separate their left-handers. Olsen, who has a 3.55 ERA in 12 2/3 innings, could be one of the better pitching values available in NL-only leagues this year.

According to MLB.com, several teams have expressed interest in Marlins outfielder Cody Ross.
    The Marlins should have room for Ross as a reserve outfielder, though if he could help them get a quality reliever, they'd likely be willing to part with him. Ross hit .227/.293/.431 in 296 at-bats last season.

MLB ERA
    News from the 15th of March.
    Sean West underwent arthroscopic shoulder surgery Tuesday and reportedly might miss the entire season.
    West, who's among the Marlins' top prospects, has a history of shoulder problems. ''We're going to be very cautious with him,'' general manager Larry Beinfest said.

Alejandro De Aza, who is trying to insert himself into the competition to become the Marlins' center fielder, had a triple and a single Thursday in the victory over the Astros.
    De Aza, 22, hit .278/.346/.374 with 27 steals in 230 at-bats for Double-A Carolina last season. He's unlikely to be more than a long-term bench player and it's doubtful that he's ready to contribute now, but with a .364 average in 22 at-bats, he's having a better spring than either Alex Sanchez or Eric Reed.

Ricky Nolasco surrendered four runs, including three homers, in five innings against the Astros on Thursday.
    Manager Fredi Gonzalez confirmed that Nolasco will likely open the season in the club's rotation, and he's told the right-hander to focus strictly on starting games. To that end, Nolasco threw 64 pitches in today's five innings, and should get up to around 75 next time out.

MLB ERA
    News from the 16th of March.
    Marlins reassigned LHP Chris George, RHP Eddy Rodriguez, INF Scott Seabol to minor league camp; optioned RHP Jesus Delgado, RHP Harvey Garcia, RHP Scott Tyler to Double-A Carolina.
    George impressed the Marlins early on in camp, but then he got into some games and did his usual thing, posting a 17.18 ERA in 3 2/3 innings. He'll likely be a part of Triple-A Albuquerque's rotation.

Marlins sent first baseman Jason Stokes outright to Triple-A Albuquerque.
    Stokes may still have 30-homer power, but because of his chronic wrist problems, no one has seen it lately. He was 1-for-11 with seven strikeouts this spring.

Matt Lindstrom threw a perfect inning of relief Friday versus the Mets.
    Lindstrom has pitched 5 1/3 scoreless inning since giving up a run in his spring debut, but it'd still be nice to see more strikeouts from someone with such a big fastball. He'll need them in order to be a realistic option as a closer.

Yusmeiro Petit allowed three runs -- two earned -- in four innings after relieving Sergio Mitre on Friday.
    He struck out three and walked one. Petit has an 11/1 K/BB ratio in 11 2/3 innings, but that comes with a 6.17 ERA. It seems unlikely that he'll have a rotation spot if Mitre can build enough stamina over the rest of the spring.

Sergio Mitre yielded one unearned run and struck out three in two innings Friday against the Mets.
    Mitre was making his second start of the spring after being held back as a result of his shoulder issues. If he can get up to five innings over the next two weeks, he should be the Marlins' fifth starter.

Hanley Ramirez went 2-for-4 with a two-run homer Friday night in the Marlins' defeat of the Mets.
    Ramirez's spring slump appears to be over. He has raised his average from .152 to .244 by going 5-for-8 over the last two days.

MLB ERA
    News from the 17th of March.
    Alfredo Amezaga went 0-for-5 on Saturday and batting .133 with no walks or extra-base hits in 30 at-bats this spring.
    Alex Sanchez and Eric Reed have left the door open, but Amezaga has done nothing to make a case for the starting job in center field. He is still very likely to have a job as a utilityman.

Miguel Cabrera had a two-run homer and a double Saturday in a loss to the Orioles.
    Opening Day can't come soon enough as far as Cabrera is concerned. He is batting .400 with two homers and three doubles in 40 at-bats this spring.

Dontrelle Willis was bothered by a sore right (non-throwing) thumb that prevented him from hitting Saturday.
    The injury isn't considered significant. Willis allowed three runs in five innings today against the Orioles.

Taylor Tankersley (shoulder) said he felt fine after throwing 25 fastballs off the mound Saturday.
    Tankersley will likely have to get into a game by the middle of next week if he has any hope of beginning the season on the active roster.

MLB ERA
    News from the 18th of March.
    Jeremy Hermida fouled off a pitch off his right kneecap Saturday and was forced to leave the game.
    He didn't anticipate needing X-rays, but that could change if he's still in pain Sunday. "It definitely does not feel good. It's one of the more painful ones I've ever had," he said. "I'll be all right. We'll see how it feels [this] morning."

Josh Willingham went 0-for-4 with three strikeouts Sunday, dropping his spring average to .118.
    Willingham has an 8/7 K/BB ratio in 34 at-bats, so it's not like he's been striking out all that often. The Marlins' cleanup hitter will probably pull out of the slump soon enough.

Henry Owens threw two scoreless innings and struck out three Sunday in the Marlins' 3-1 win over the Nationals.
    Owens still hasn't allowed a run in nine innings this spring. He's in the mix with Kevin Gregg, Matt Lindstrom and Taylor Tankersley to act as the Marlins' closer. The job probably won't be his at the beginning of the year, but he'd still be a sleeper for saves.

Jeremy Hermida had Sunday off after fouling a ball off his knee during Saturday's game.
    Must have been the hardest ball he's hit all spring. Hermida, off to a 2-for-35 start, could be back in the lineup tomorrow. Manager Fredi Gonzalez says he still sees the 23-year-old as a regular.

MLB ERA
    News from the 19th of March.
    Dontrelle Willis will be the Marlins' Opening Day starter, manager Fredi Gonzalez announced Monday.
    We're still holding our breath waiting for the announcement on who is going to play third base. Gonzalez didn't announce the rest of his rotation, but it's safe to assume Anibal Sanchez, Scott Olsen and Ricky Nolasco will follow Willis. The Marlins won't need a fifth starter until April 10, giving likely choice Sergio Mitre more time to build up stamina.

Kevin Gregg struck out two in a perfect inning of relief Monday versus the Astros.
    Henry Owens and Matt Lindstrom have been more effective, but Gregg has turned in on since a shaky start, throwing five scoreless innings in his last four appearance. His experience aids his case for opening the season as the Marlins' closer. Still, one of the former Mets prospects could get the call first.

MLB ERA
    News from the 20th of March.
    X-rays on Jeremy Hermida's injured right knee were reportedly negative.
    After being scratched Sunday and Monday, the Marlins are reportedly hoping to have him back in the lineup Tuesday.

Matt Lindstrom allowed a couple of unearned runs Tuesday in his inning against the Nationals.
    Two singles and a Miguel Cabrera error caused the damage. Lindstrom has helped his cause by giving up just one earned run and two walks in 8 1/3 innings this spring, but he hasn't been dominant with his 97-mph fastball. He's probably not ready to succeed in the closer's role.

Hanley Ramirez was limited to one at-bat Tuesday by a strained right groin.
    Ramirez said the groin has bothered him for a couple of days now. "It's fine. I just want to make sure everything's OK," Ramirez said. "I wanted to stay in. I was on my way to the field." He'll probably be back in the lineup for Thursday's game.

Marlins reassigned RHP Wes Obermueller to minor league camp.
    Obermueller, who became a long shot candidate for the fifth spot in the rotation when Josh Johnson got hurt, is getting sent down after allowing five earned runs in seven innings.

MLB ERA
    News from the 21st of March.
    Sergio Mitre allowed one run on three hits in 4 1/3 innings Wednesday against Marlins minor leaguers.
    Two of the three hits were slow infield singles. "Not bad," Mitre said, summing up his outing. "I threw breaking balls and changeups, and I was trying to work on my pitches." Mitre is expected to enter the season as the Marlins' fifth starter.

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast