Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Marlins Notes

MLB ERA
    The Marlins likely will go to arbitration with Miguel Cabrera after he failed to accept their improved offer of $6.7 million on Tuesday.
    That's also the figure they submitted for an arbitration exchange. Cabrera is asking for $7.4 million. Albert Pujols has the highest salary ever for a first-year abitration player at $7 million. However, that was part of a long-term deal he had already agreed to, making it difficult to compare his case to Cabrera's.
    Source: RotoWorld
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

the Marlins need to get this guy signed!!!!

MLB ERA
    Anibal Sanchez recently underwent an MRI due to discomfort in his right shoulder, the Miami Herald reports.
    Sanchez felt discomfort while throwing in offseason conditioning in Venezuela. The MRI is believed to have revealed nothing serious, but this is a situation to watch. Arm problems caused Sanchez to miss 2003 and limited him during the second half of 2005. He's at high risk for more problems.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Following two weeks of rest, Anibal Sanchez will undergo a second MRI on his shoulder on Feb. 5.
    The first MRI reportedly showed no structural damage, but Sanchez was diagnosed with inflammation and tendinitis. It's possible that he'll be held back at the beginning of spring training.

MLB ERA
    Josh Johnson, who was shut down at the end of last year due to a forearm strain, experienced some triceps discomfort a few days ago during a throwing session.
    The Marlins were pretty fortunate with their young pitching last season. With two incidents this year even before the reporting date, it's not looking so good for 2007. The initial report didn't say whether Johnson would join Anibal Sanchez in getting an MRI. If the Marlins are going to be without either pitcher at the beginning of the year, thoughts of shifting Ricky Nolasco could be abandoned. Yusmeiro Petit, Sergio Mitre, Jose Garcia and Renyel Pinto could contend for any rotation openings.

MLB ERA
    The Marlins didn't think Josh Johnson's recent triceps soreness was significant enough to require an MRI.
    Johnson is taking a break from throwing, but he'll probably try again soon. "I might be a little behind. We'll see," Johnson said. "It depends on how fast this goes away. They [the training staff] say it's tough to tell."

Anibal Sanchez, who was recently diagnosed with inflammation and tendinitis in his shoulder, threw soft toss on Monday.
    "Right now I don't feel nothing," he said. "I'm going to be better soon." Sanchez is scheduled for a second MRI on Feb. 5.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

So that means Johnson will be on the shelf about what June!

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Their young pitching was so huge next year, it would be hard to equal or top it. Hopefully they can churn out a couple more guys or else it could be a very long season in Florida.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    Ricky Nolasco is one of four prime candidates to open the season as the Marlins' closer, GM Larry Beinfest said.
    With Anibal Sanchez and Josh Johnson already experiencing arm problems, taking Nolasco out of the rotation would be a risky move. The Marlins probably won't take that step unless they're confident both Sanchez and Johnson will be 100 percent to begin the season. The other candidates to close for Florida are Taylor Tankersley, Henry Owens and Matt Lindstrom.

MLB ERA
    Josh Johnson did undergo an MRI after feeling pain above his elbow while throwing late last month. According to the Miami Herald, no structural damage was found.
    The Marlins said at the end of the month that they didn't expect Johnson to undergo an MRI. Johnson said Saturday than his arm is "feeling better and better each day. Hopefully I'll start throwing again Monday." Still, the injury is a source of concern.

Anibal Sanchez, who felt discomfort in his throwing shoulder in January, threw off a mound in Jupiter recently and reported no problems, according to GM Larry Beinfest.
    The Marlins didn't have anything to say about the second MRI he was scheduled to undergo on Feb. 5. Sanchez was diagnosed with inflammation and tendinitis in his shoulder last month.

The Marlins are upset that Miguel Cabrera didn't show at the team's FanFest this weekend.
    "It's very disappointing," team president David Samson said. "[Owner Jeffrey Loria] and the rest of us are very disappointed that he's not here with every one of his teammates. All the players are here except Miguel." Samson was given no reason to believe that Cabrera's absence is related to this week's arbitration hearing in Phoenix. Undisclosed personal reasons was the excuse given.

MLB ERA
    Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez labeled Alfredo Amezaga as a fallback option in center field.
    Gonzalez would prefer to see someone else step up and claim the job, allowing Amezaga to fill a utility role. Other candidates for the job include Alex Sanchez, Reggie Abercrombie and Eric Reed, and the Marlins haven't given up on bringing in someone from outside the organization.

New Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez intends to go with the same top of the lineup that was successful last year, with Hanley Ramirez batting leadoff and being followed by Dan Uggla, Miguel Cabrera and Josh Wilingham.
    Gonzalez currently sees Jeremy Hermida in the fifth spot, Mike Jacobs sixth and Miguel Olivo batting seventh. That would leave the winner of the center field job hitting eighth.

Kevin Gregg lost his arbitration case and will be owed $575,000 by the Marlins this season.
    Players are now 0-for-3 in arbitration. Gregg only asked for $700,000, so this is one that wouldn't gone before a panel in most cases. The Marlins, though, did all of their negotiating before figures were exchanged.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Steve Finley would be a good option for CF on this team. He would be like an player/coach teaching the outfield how to play defense the right way. Plus he's a decent lefthanded hitter if you give regular playing time.

MLB ERA
    I don't see Finley as a coach myself but I alway don't see Eddie Perez as the bullpen coach so who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by RotoWorld
    Miguel Cabrera said an issue with his father's health prevented him from attending the Marlins' FanFest last weekend.
    "I'd already separated that date for an appointment related to my father's health," Cabrera said. "The Marlins informed me just a week before the festival and I coudn't cancel my meeting, and that's what I told my agents."

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I said he would be like a coach since all these guys are incredibly young. Those kids still have a lot to learn and Finley could help first time manager Fredi Ganzalez out.

MLB ERA
    While Ricky Nolasco will continue to work as a starter this spring, manager Fredi Gonzalez believes he could be moved into the closer's role at a moment's notice.
    A shift of Nolasco to the bullpen will undoubtedly hinge on the health of Josh Johnson and Anibal Sanhcez. If the Marlins feel confident about their other four starters, then Nolasco could make the switch. Otherwise, Taylor Tankersley, Henry Owens, Matt Lindstrom and Kevin Gregg will battle for the job.

Miguel Cabrera won his arbitration case and will make $7.4 million in 2007.
    Cabrera was offered $6.7 million by the Marlins in his first year of arbitration. He's the first player to win in arbitration this year after ownership started off 4-0.

Marlins released RHP Jimmy Serrano.
    Serrano, who was in camp on a minor league deal, flunked his physical with an undisclosed injury. He was expected to pitch at Triple-A Albuquerque.

Anibal Sanchez threw his fourth bullpen session on Sunday and again indicated that he had no difficulty with his shoulder.
    It seems like the discomfort Sanchez experienced last month was a false alarm, but he's still an injury risk going forward. Bid cautiously.

Logan Kensing (elbow) said Tuesday that he's hoping to return in July.
    Kensing is coming back from Tommy John surgery, which he underwent in August, making it unlikely that he'll be effective at any point in 2007.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast